• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How can I adjust the trunk lid

My trunk lid closes and latches well, but it seems like it is about a 1/8-1/4 inch too high. If I press on the center of the trunk lid where it latches, then it goes to the perfect position.

I looked at the latch last night and I do not see a way to lower the latch mechanism, so the trunk lid fits better.

Any suggestions.

I'm reading two different things here, and please correct me if I'm wrong. First, when you try to close the trunk it sits too high, then when you push on the center just above the latch it locks and sits perfectly. If that's the case, then you are closing it correctly the second time.

As stated in the manual. The trunk lid should be closed with pressure applied directly above the latch mechanism. You shouldn't be closing it any other way. (ie pushing down on the spolier)

No, let me clarify.

I do close the trunk lid by applying pressure to the center of the lid itself, and it does latch into place. However, it sits about 1/8-1/4 inch too high in the back.

The problem seems to be that there is a little bit of play once the trunk is closed, so that if I then press down on the center of the trunck lid it moves down about 1/8-1/4 of an inch. I would like to take the play out, so that the lid fits properly.

I think i understand this....it would be better if you could post a pic.

(i removed my comments as they were not correct)

Ok i had to run out and look at mine since this really interests me.
I noticed on mine that the upper "hook" on the trunk lid has a spacer between the hook assembly and the lid body. You could try and remove this spacer which would lower the position of the lid about 1/8".

Also, check the little rubber trunk stops, i believe they are adjustable by screwing in or out. See the Service Manual on page 20-54 for lid adjustment procedure.

HTH

Last edited:
I did not see any kind of spacer on the latch that connects to the trunk lid ("upper hook"), or removing the spacer would have been perfect.

I do not believe the rubber stoppers are the problem because when I apply a little bit of pressure to the middle of the trunk lid, both sides follow perfectly.

Unfortunately, I do not have any way to post a picture. Maybe I can figure something out.

I did not see any kind of spacer on the latch that connects to the trunk lid ("upper hook"), or removing the spacer would have been perfect.
There's a picture of it in the service manual i posted above. They call it a "shim"

The two rubber bumpers at each corner of the trunk lid have screw adjustments for lid height. Simply screw the stops cloockwise or counter-clockwise into their holes to adjust the height of the lid.

Back