• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do I not lurch when going from neutral to 1st gear?

Coming from motorcycles and Datsun transmissions, I can't seem to figure out how to smoothly shift the 5 spd in my 1994 NSX into 1st gear to take off. I keep either stalling the car in 1st or lurching when getting going. Would love some advice on what the best method is that will save my clutch.

Especially:
  • How high to get the RPMs before depressing the clutch?
  • How fast do you go from clutch pedal pushed in, to mid point, to fully released?
  • Is it depress clutch till it grab a bit then give gas, or give gas AND depress clutch at the same time?

In my 240z I could pretty much let go of the clutch without giving gas and the car wouldn't die.

Last edited:
Coming from motorcycles and Datsun transmissions, I can't seem to figure out how to smoothly shift the 5 spd in my 1994 NSX into 1st gear to take off. I keep either stalling the car in 1st or lurching when getting going. Would love some advice on what the best method is that will save my clutch.

Especially:
  • How high to get the RPMs before depressing the clutch?
  • How fast do you go from clutch pedal pushed in, to mid point, to fully released?
  • Is it depress clutch till it grab a bit then give gas, or give gas AND depress clutch at the same time?

In my 240z I could pretty much let go of the clutch without giving gas and the car wouldn't die.

Hmmm, something doesn't sound right. The NSX manual transmission and clutch is very easy and forgiving to engage. It's strikingly similar in feel to a Honda Accord in this respect. Are you sure you have a stock clutch in the car? Some of the aftermarket clutches can be quite temperamental.

Welcome to quirks of NSX ownership!

I have a 2000 with the later design dual mass flywheel / single plate clutch so my experience may not be exactly the same as yours; but, I have test driven a 1991 dual plate and I don't recall a lot of difference in clutch feel. For what it is worth, I embarrassingly stalled both the 1991 and my 2000 when first taking them for test drives because of the rapid clutch engagement. I don't think the issue is the clutch but the linkage design of the clutch pedal / master cylinder / slave / clutch fork. The NSX (and a lot of Honda products) seem to have the linkage designed to provide for very fast disengagement of the clutch and the leverage in the mechanism provides for a narrow engagement point. The disengagement of the clutch occurs during the top part of the pedal stroke and the flip side of this is that engagement of the clutch does not occur until the clutch pedal is approaching the high point of its travel (all relatively speaking of course). This makes for quick release of the clutch and fast shifting when you are moving; however, as you have discovered not so much fun in stop and go traffic and stressful if you have to do a start going up a hill.

I think some owners smoothen out the start by revving the engine fairly high and then sliding the clutch out. That does make for a smoother start (or at least avoids the embarrassing stall); but, as you allude to can result in fairly short clutch life. Search Prime and you can find owners complaining about 25,000 mile clutch replacement intervals. My current style of clutch operation is a version of your third bullet. I release the clutch pedal up and as the clutch starts to engage I apply some throttle. Do it smoothly and there will be is no over revving, slipping and lurching. Of course, for this to work you have to train your foot to know where the start of the engagement point is and that just requires some practise. Go to an empty parking lot and just practise doing some starts, releasing the clutch pedal and listening for the engine RPM starting to drop and then gradually applying some throttle. A little practise will smoothen things out. However, even after 10 years of ownership, on occasion I still release the pedal too quickly, hear the RPMs die, press the clutch in to recover, see the RPMs increase rapidly, release the clutch too quickly and lurch away from a stop.

That said, clutch operation can be complicated by incorrect adjustment of the pedal. There has to be some free play in the clutch pedal as set out in the factory service manual (you can find links to free .pdf versions of the FSM on Prime). If there is no free play you will have faster release of the clutch and potentially a worn release bearing and in worst case a glazed clutch facing. Check your free play to make sure that it is correct. If the car has an aftermarket performance clutch these typically come with very narrow engagement points making for more of an on/off experience and a pain to drive. If a previous owner replaced the flywheel with a lighter flywheel this will result in the RPMs dropping faster during initial engagement making a standing start more difficult.

I don't think you will ever be able to do a standing start without applying some throttle as you describe in your 240 Z. The final gearing and lack of flywheel inertia conspire against that. If the problem really bothers you you could consider installing a short final drive ratio which should make starts easier; but, be prepared to live with more engine noise on the highway.

I’m a NSX newb but I actually don’t notice much difference between my 93 300zX TT, completely stock at 30k miles and my 95 NSX at 21k miles also completely stock. I’m not sure if there’s a difference between cable driven throttle vs drive by wire but modulation and engagement points are similar. I can also back both cars out of the garage by engaging the clutch with light throttle. Almost sounds like the OP has a lightened flywheel?

It's definitely possible that it's just me. I've had a reputable repair shop and another forum member drive my car and they didn't remark on the clutch or transmission being unusual. I think my car might be on the first clutch as I didn't see any records indicating otherwise, at 66k miles. I will check the free play also. Thanks for the write up Old Guy!

I'll have to go practice some more I guess but would love to hear the process of more members, especially the 91-94 years!

Last edited:
I agree that it might be an aftermarket clutch. My OEM original was smooth and easy. Then I put in the SOS sport, which is a great clutch too. Anyone who tries to drive the car stalls it, even when I tell them that it is a stiff clutch that grabs fast and that they'll probably stall it. I'm sure the new pressure plate has much stronger springs than OEM. Mine always requires a touch of throttle just to avoid a stall every time I engage first. Just a touch.

I had 98k on my 1994 NSX and just like every other manual I've had, I always give a little blip of the throttle before I let the clutch out and I never have any lurching or stalling. The clutch on my Esprit was like a truck and the same technique worked perfectly.

Maybe doing this will help. Just a thought.

I feel like the clutch has a specific range it likes to operate in, and as it ages that window gets smaller and smaller. I've got 180k on mine and no idea about clutch maintenance from the previous owner but I feel the current clutch is it's the last 3/4 of it's life and it does seem to have some chatter if I don't get the engagement right. Higher revs helps for sure. Not like you need to get into vtec to roll out in 1st, but higher than you would normally expect.

Back