• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you like your HOA?

Not seriously.. other than submitting her to the same rude treatment

Telling a man he can't have a toolbox in his garage? that is blasphemy...

My true reaction would be to tell her to GFY

Last edited:
^Seriously... and "Well, where do I put my tools, then?" Or maybe "let me know if you ever need some work done on your car."

She told me I have to get rid of them that I shouldn't have brought any tools in the first place. She even told me I shouldn't have any plumbing equipment either, she was referring to my craftsman vaccum lol I don't know if she was being racist or not (I'm latino you know). I smile a little seems like she never been in the tool section of Sears.

The only correct response: "If that's the case... I will need to inspect your garage"

That's funny, she did send me a copy of the hoa rules which was huge to be honest and she highlight with a pink sharpy every single line where its says I'm not allow to have tools in the garage nor work on my car. Since that day I have all these old people getting close to my garage to check what I'm doing lol but they are too slow to hide from me when I go and watch them checking on me :p.

Not seriously.. other than submitting her to the same rude treatment

Telling a man he can't have a toolbox in his garage? that is blasphemy...

My true reaction would be to tell her to GFY

Agree, my wife feels pretty guilty about the situation because after we were told we have to leave the house I found a place but she thoy it was to big for us so she picked this condo instead cause its was cosy and cute plus I would get to work on my car without being bug at all. Ha! Wrong, now we are looking for a SFH and trust me this time I'm gonna read that stupid hoa book of rules.

LOL. Yes I can wash my car anytime I want, unless the county has a water restriction due to a drought which has happened in the past. I really don't feel like I have lost many personal rights living in an HOA community. There are only 175 houses and 75% have young kids. The neighborhood is well kept and most of us go beyond our duty and perform extra landscaping on our own. When I need to repaint my house in a few years I'll be able to choose from a dozen or so color templates that the original builder had us choose from when I built my house. The HOA isn't going to deny me making exterior improvements. I just had my garage doors faux wood painted and didn't get HOA approval beforehand, no one has said a word to me. I don't put my garbage can in the garage like I'm supposed to because I have three cars in there with no additional room. I tuck it behind a shrub on the side of my house. For the most part the rules are easy to live with and people who flagrantly break them usually get the warnings. I'm just a small time crook! LOL.

DocL
Even tho currently you are not having HOA issues with what your are doing, does not mean a new board member, (or even a another homeowner complaining to the HOA) somtime in the future wont come down on you for not putting you garbage cans in the garage. If that rule gets enforced on you, what are you gonna do? comply, and put your beautiful car on the driveway (oops, maybe your HOA does not allow cars on the driveway, or in the street overnight), or put your smelly dirty trash cans next to you pride and joy and stink up the garage and cars ? (no offense on the stinky dirty trash can thing) Or if they notice your non compliant faux finish on the garage door and ask "did you get the HOA approval on that?" be prepared to have it removed and put back to neighborhood standard. I am not saying this is will happen to you, but this type of thing happens all the time, way, way more often than it should makes your life miserable.

I have had different HOA people over the years knock on my door and ask "did you get HOA approval for that ....fountain" I say "yes", they say "show me in writting", I say "I already did the last time you asked", they say "dosent matter show me in writting", I go dig it out of the file cabinet and show them where it was approved by the HOA 15 years ago. I am so glad I kept my records of the HOA spprovals (That was a friendlier board back then), otherwise I would have to remove my fountain, jackhammer out my side driveway, replace my front door...etc...etc. The moral is get HOA approval on whatever changes you do to the front and keep the written approval, because you never know who will be on the board next year.

My HOA will not allow me to fly my American flag 365 days a year in the front of my house, sorry for being an American and proud of it. They said only on certain holidays I can put it out front. So, I fly my 8 foot flag in the garage 365 days a year, so whenever the door is open, there is the flag for them to see. (I dont have any of that nonsense about the garage as some people have posted their HOA have) So I try to obey the rules or I work around the rules when I can.

Don't leave your NSX on the streets!! it's a trap, if they don't like you they will tow it they did it with me. Lucky you get to wash your car I can't even change my battery without hiding in my garage :p.

+1 to what nsxter said. I can't even wash my freaking car even though there is a connection for a water hose outside every damn house. What's the use of that if people can't wash their cars? Its my fault for being lazy though. I did not read the HOA rule when I bought the place, otherwise I wouldn't buy in the area.

+1 to what nsxter said. I can't even wash my freaking car even though there is a connection for a water hose outside every damn house. What's the use of that if people can't wash their cars? Its my fault for being lazy though. I did not read the HOA rule when I bought the place, otherwise I wouldn't buy in the area.

Agree, read the rules first before you buy/rent.

Even if you do read the rules when you buy/rent, does not guarentee that more rules or modified old rules wont be imposed/changed later.
Without you knowing. So the real answer is not to buy in an HOA in the first place. Although it is almost impossible to buy a new house that is not in an HOA.
Like I said in the beginning of this thread, I will never buy in an HOA again.

My HOA will not allow me to fly my American flag 365 days a year in the front of my house...

I would fly the American flag every day regardless of their stupid f*cking opinion or rule and then when they give me a hard time about it....

I would have a PR firm release the story to the local and national press and see how your HOA likes responding to thousands of reporter phone calls from around the country. The press release would surely include ALL contact information for every member of the HOA board, including home address, home phone, cell phone, email addresses, etc

Thinking they would change their tune rather quickly...

Last edited:
HOA's, wantabe Nazi control freaks with nothing to do but screw with people and show them who's boss..

HOA boards mostly consist of people who where bullied at some point in their miserable lives and now have the ability to return the favor. Best way to deal with them is Chase's option. A PR punch in the mouth.

Timely resurrection of a thread.....my HOA is at it again. :(
Wish they would just go away. And I agree with Coz....

Still waiting on pre-approval to come through, but I found some nice homes that are NOT in an HOA!!! Woohoo! I hope they stay available till I'm ready to buy.

My first home was a townhome with a pretty expensive HOA. The complex and common area seemed very well kept, so, at first, I could justify the HOA fees.

The HOA itself was run like a dictatorship. Any request, especially those involving improvements or the parking situation was met with hostility and required a bit of negotiating before you would even get your case heard. It took forever to sway the board that our complex needed to be tented for termites (the complex had never been tented in its 20+ years since being built). I think I attended three or four annual meetings where it was brought up as a major issue before finally the board agreed to have the complex inspected (which turned up infestations of both subterranean and dry wood termites). It took another couple of annual meetings before they finally agreed to tent. I had petitioned successfully to get an extra parking space in the main lot when I got a third car (our unit had an attached two car garage), but, a few years later, the HOA decided that this should no longer be an option even though availability of spaces where I parked was rarely an issue (I suspected someone in one of the two smaller lots started the complaint). I forget if I had to pay extra for that space...I seem to recall that they didn't charge at first, but later did. The HOA enforced especially strict rules regarding kids in the common areas...which made for a nice quiet atmosphere, but would prevent anyone thinking of raising a family there. Obviously things like the termite tenting required special assessments that increased our fees, but then there were other increases that weren't temporary...so the fee ended up being quite a bit higher by the time I moved out.

Needless to say, I was glad to be out of there. I hated dealing with the HOA...

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago in Vantana Lakes, a community with HOA Nazi's to the max.
I live down the block from the community.
During a HOA meeting, an owner in the community walked in armed with a rifle and pistols while the board was sitting at their table in front of the room and opened fire on them, Killing 2 of them and wounded 2.
While these actions are clearly not cool, you have to wonder if they didn't bring it on themselves with their constant BS and pettiness.
I know some of those that live in the community and have been told many times their HOA board members think their Gods, constantly spy on people that live in the community, visitors and continually go out of their way to find things to issue fines on the owners of the community.
You can only push people so far and in this case, they pushed the wrong person to far and paid the price for it.

Last edited:
Back