• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you like your HOA?

So, the time to start looking at houses is drawing near... and I'm really not wanting to move into an HOA.

I hate the very idea of an HOA for the following reasons:
-It feels like self-imposed communism (I pay a "tax" to fund a governing body to regulate what I can and cannot do with my own property).
-Uniqueness is strictly verboten!
-My guests have to hassle about where they park and for how long or else they (or I, or whomever) get a "ticket."
-Did I mention the fees? Yeah, I hate signing away a portion of my income to have someone else come on to MY property and fine me for having a weed or parking my car face-out or whatever.
-And the HOA dues... not sure if I covered that.

The only "pro" I can see to moving into an HOA is that the homes are generally more affordable (dues notwithstanding), and I usually see that the utilities are public, instead of private, and they are hooked up to the sewers instead of a septic tank.

What's everyone's take here on their own HOA?

I'm hoping to find a place on the west side (west of the 101, south of Peoria/Olive), the farther west, the better. Might consider something as far east as the 17, though.

Last edited:
Well, I'm the HOA President and have been involved with mine since 2008. I see it as a positive in helping keep property values up and the nonsense to a minimum. I will say that our plan is to move further out of town and get 3-5 acres to build on for our next home.

Lot of advantages to HOAs, but I will never again move into a neighborhood with a HOA. Like you said hate paying fees for a body to govern what I can and can't do on my own property. Had some bad experiences.

Well, I'm the HOA President and have been involved with mine since 2008. I see it as a positive in helping keep property values up and the nonsense to a minimum. I will say that our plan is to move further out of town and get 3-5 acres to build on for our next home.

Interestingly, I hear people mention that as a benefit to HOAs, but around here, the HOA properties are far less expensive than the non HOAs (per acre or square-foot, or whatever)... maybe something to do with supply and demand? LOL! Either that, or non-HOAs are actually more desirable, so they come at a premium (HOAs driving value down, instead of up). :confused::tongue:

I have lived in two communities with HOAs, and I feel they help keep property values up by making owners more responsible for keeping up their property. However, it's very much YMMV. If you don't like having a committee decide what you can/can't do with your property, an HOA probably isn't for you.

I'm hoping to find a place on the west side (west of the 101, south of Peoria/Olive), the farther west, the better. Might consider something as far east as the 17, though.

Personally I wouldn't consider anything south of Thunderbird on the west side (unless it's in a major masterplanned community like Estrella, Cortessa, etc.) as the neighborhoods seem to degenerate the closer you get to Maryvale. I really like the Arrowhead Ranch area.

I regret it. Sure it's nice to keep the BS down, but it should of been minimal anyway. They have raised their prices at free will over the years and it's over double of when I originally purchased the place 5 years ago. Next time around I'll get land in the sticks.

Personally I wouldn't consider anything south of Thunderbird on the west side (unless it's in a major masterplanned community like Estrella, Cortessa, etc.) as the neighborhoods seem to degenerate the closer you get to Maryvale. I really like the Arrowhead Ranch area.

Yeah, I really like the neighborhoods north of, say, Camelback, but my commute is already so far, and I have quick access to I-10. There are some really nice little pockets in Buckeye, but I'm still researching the pros and cons of septic tanks, private water companies and shared wells...

I am down here in Chandler in an HOA neighborhood. I would never go back to an area without an HOA. Some people, no matter how much income they bring in don't take pride in the appearance of their residence. Shitty lawns, weeds, overgrown trees, cars under covers; all eyesores. It definitely affects property value as mentioned earlier.

With that being said, I do have a very strict HOA e.g. trash can must be put away on trash day. But I do appreciate where I live. Great area.

HOA's can be restrictive but there are benefits. If they were so bad there would be no new ones, a developer would run and hide from building a HOA community. I live in a condo and served on the condo board for a few years. People get upset about the rules but they have been the same from day one but the problem is the rules get overlooked, problems develop and getting things back in order makes people upset.

The main reason for HOA/condo rules is to keep things looking good and in order which is a good thing for property values but some people just want to do what they want to do and for them they should not be in a HOA development.

I currently live in an HOA in Peoria. I will never live in one again. Remember this is a free country, unless you live in an HOA.

funny how we as a society complain about big government and how we must defend our individual rights...but when offered a chance to govern over our peers(hoa board) how quickly we forget and how quickly we wish to subjucate/ dictate...lol.

I currently live in an HOA in Peoria. I will never live in one again. Remember this is a free country, unless you live in an HOA.

So my question is did you not know the rules when you bought, found the rules were not to your liking when you had to live with them or were they miss applied, improperly or selectively enforced.

So my question is did you not know the rules when you bought, found the rules were not to your liking when you had to live with them or were they miss applied, improperly or selectively enforced.

My HOA was virtually non existant, very few rules when I bought the house new, as a matter of fact my HOA does not even own land and does not have a "vested intrest" in the property like most HOAs do. They do not maintain any common grounds, all that land was donated by the builder to the city, and the city maintains it.

They changed the rules, as time went along, whether I liked it or not. Thus gradually becoming more restrictive over the years. And no, they never tell the homeowners what is on the agenda for meetings, so most normal people do not show up (I do). So bad things get put in the rule book.

Also if you upset one of the board members, chances are they will single you out and make life miserable. I have found some of these people (board members) are control freaks that like to dictate to others to show thier superiority and control. Very few have the ability to govern anything, yet they are in that position. Most of them have a personal agenda when they became a board member in the first place, and it is usually a personal desire.

There are more horror stories about living in an HOA, than wondeful stories about living in one. HOAs rules routinely infringe on constitutional rights because it is in the "rules". I suggest board members look at their own HOA rules and see if that is true in their HOA, if so change or eliminate the rule.

In this part of the country most of the new homes are in an HOA, so not much choice anymore.

I like living in an HOA community for many reasons.
First, there are no commercial vehicles allowed to be parked on the street, in driveways overnight, or on weekends if it's the homeowners vehicle.

Second, the landscaping is done by the company hired by the HOA. If I don't like how my lawn is being done I call the management company and they contact the landscapers.

Third, the sprinklers are controlled by the HOA so I don't have to pay for the water to run them.

Fourth, we have 24/7 armed security at the gatehouse with cameras that capture each car coming and going.

I may seem like I live in a prison to those of you without an HOA, however down here in Florida they do add value and for $365/mo I get a lot for my buck.

Here in Md HOA sucks!! I was installing my stmpo rear bar and I bet one of the board members saw me doing the swap of bars so two days later I gor a letter saying I shouldn't perform any major mechanical work an any vehicle. I didn't think it was that serious. I changed my spoiler one day and I decided to put my car on jacks so I can change my calipers, worst idea ever. The hoa sent a letter to my landlord with several fees that he would have to pay if I keep my nsx on the premises of the neighborhood. Landlord didn't give me that info fast enough so I wasn't aware of the HOA plans. I left my car outside since it was nice out, I went to do some grocery shopping with my mom and wife by the time I came back NSX was gone, car got towed right after I left. The towing company told me "I'm sorry man we didn't really wanna town your nsx but the hoa have been calling us non stop for the past week to get your car out of the neighborhood". They Hoa even told them that if they wouldn't tow my car fast enough they would cancel their contract. The Landlord cancel my lease since the hoa were putting a lot of pressure over his shoulders, I had to move out in less than 4 weeks.
We found a nice condo with one car garage and I asked the landlord if there was any problem if I work on my car to what she said that was no problem. Two days later I had the pleasure of meeting the head of the hoa, she told me I wasn't allow to even have a tool chest on the garage :-( .

First, there are no commercial vehicles allowed to be parked on the street, in driveways overnight, or on weekends if it's the homeowners vehicle.

First, is the street owned by the HOA? If so cool, but if not, Does the owner of the street (usually the city) allow parking? If so, then maybe the HOA is breaking the city laws, and should be written up. The HOA has no right to dictate what can, and can not happen on city property, only the city can. If the HOA has a problem, let them get the city to change the rules.

Second, the landscaping is done by the company hired by the HOA. If I don't like how my lawn is being done I call the management company and they contact the landscapers.

Whats the differance if you call the landscapers direct? you are paying for a middle man

Third, the sprinklers are controlled by the HOA so I don't have to pay for the water to run them.

Yes, you do its in your HOA Fees

Fourth, we have 24/7 armed security at the gatehouse with cameras that capture each car coming and going.

I may seem like I live in a prison to those of you without an HOA, however down here in Florida they do add value and for $365/mo I get a lot for my buck.

My HOA fees are .....35 dollars....a year...

Last edited:
First, is the street owned by the HOA? If so cool, but if not, Does the owner of the street (usually the city) allow parking? If so, then maybe the HOA is breaking the city laws, and should be written up. The HOA has no right to dictate what can, and can not happen on city property, only the city can. If the HOA has a problem, let them get the city to change the rules.

Whats the differance if you call the landscapers direct? you are paying for a middle man

Yes, you do its in your HOA Fees

My HOA fees are .....35 dollars....a year...

I'm fully aware that I everything mentioned is paid for in my dues, it makes it much easier paying one bill. I can easily afford the monthly fees and like the fact that there are no houses that look like $hit.

like the fact that there are no houses that look like $hit.

This I agree with. And the main reason HOS's exist. But they take it way too far these days. I hope you never have an issue with an HOA.

This I agree with. And the main reason HOS's exist. But they take it way too far these days. I hope you never have an issue with an HOA.

I don't think I will, I live within the guideline of my HOA. The rules state no automotive work allowed, however how do they know I'm changing the oil on my NSX when the garage door is closed. There are also rules against owning livestock, well since I don't want to be a farmer I have no problems with that provision. I don't care if I need an architectural review if I'm going to paint my house as I know they will not allow a freaky color if my neighbor want to paint his house too.

I don't suggest anyone who can't live by the rules to move into an HOA controlled community. If you don't mind the person across the street with a Pinto on concrete blocks then so be it. I like seeing neat lawns and the lack of POS cars on the street.

To each his own,
The rules state no automotive work allowed, however how do they know I'm changing the oil on my NSX when the garage door is closed.
So you hide in the garage to change your oil, just dont get caught, or you may end up on "the list". You probably cant even wash the car in the driveway either, since someone could think of this act as "maintenance"

I don't care if I need an architectural review if I'm going to paint my house as I know they will not allow a freaky color if my neighbor want to paint his house too.
As long as the color(s) you want is not considdered "freaky" by them, or you pick from their color pallet of acceptable colors.

If you don't mind the person across the street with a Pinto on concrete blocks then so be it. I like seeing neat lawns and the lack of POS cars on the street.
Exterme case, probably happens, probably not too often in an affluent neighborhood.

pppffftt, i dont want to PAY someone to tell me what to DO.
Neither do, I but I want to pay someone to tell my neighbors what to do. I really don't want to see my neighbors car up on blocks in the front driveway, because its probably not going to be a McLaren F1. Its more likely to be a Honda CRX with mismatched painted bumpers and four different wheels. If you live in a community where the houses have 1+ acres of land you don't care as much, but in places like Texas where houses in master planned communities get .18 acres of land what your neighbor does with his/her yard starts to drive you nuts. A good HOA will protect your property value, prevent your idiot neighbor from painting his house pink with purple polka dots, or displaying antagonizing political commentary on their front yard. I have a home in Newport, RI and it is in a HOA, they forced my neighbor to take down his NY Yankees flag. The bylaws state that only US Flags can be displayed. As a Red Sox fan, I have to admit that did put a little smile on my face. Most HOAs have elected board members, if you don't like what your HOA is doing stop sitting around and find a way to get elected to the board.

HOA's can be restrictive but there are benefits. If they were so bad there would be no new ones, a developer would run and hide from building a HOA community. I live in a condo and served on the condo board for a few years. People get upset about the rules but they have been the same from day one but the problem is the rules get overlooked, problems develop and getting things back in order makes people upset.

The main reason for HOA/condo rules is to keep things looking good and in order which is a good thing for property values but some people just want to do what they want to do and for them they should not be in a HOA development.

The logic in bold is nearly insurmountable... although, in a lot of areas where the housing market crashed hard (Phoenix, for example), it created opportunity for not only the less fortunate, hard working folks to get into a house, but also those who are broke because they are lazy. So a lot of HOAs around here are pretty ghetto to start with. But those HOAs survive because broke folk jumped at an opportunity to own. Still, there are some fairly impressive ones coming up such as Tartesso and Verrado... but those communities remind me of the Axiom and By&Large, "your very best friend."

This is really the sense that I get from the HOA horror stories I've read.

funny how we as a society complain about big government and how we must defend our individual rights...but when offered a chance to govern over our peers(hoa board) how quickly we forget and how quickly we wish to subjucate/ dictate...lol.

^^This.

My HOA was virtually non existant, very few rules when I bought the house new, as a matter of fact my HOA does not even own land and does not have a "vested intrest" in the property like most HOAs do. They do not maintain any common grounds, all that land was donated by the builder to the city, and the city maintains it.

They changed the rules, as time went along, whether I liked it or not. Thus gradually becoming more restrictive over the years. And no, they never tell the homeowners what is on the agenda for meetings, so most normal people do not show up (I do). So bad things get put in the rule book.

Also if you upset one of the board members, chances are they will single you out and make life miserable. I have found some of these people (board members) are control freaks that like to dictate to others to show thier superiority and control. Very few have the ability to govern anything, yet they are in that position. Most of them have a personal agenda when they became a board member in the first place, and it is usually a personal desire.

There are more horror stories about living in an HOA, than wondeful stories about living in one. HOAs rules routinely infringe on constitutional rights because it is in the "rules". I suggest board members look at their own HOA rules and see if that is true in their HOA, if so change or eliminate the rule.

In this part of the country most of the new homes are in an HOA, so not much choice anymore.

People (especially those that fall into a category that I call "sheeple") seem to have a need for drama. It's like they want to live in their own little reality TV show, and if they don't like you for whatever reason (they're racist, or don't like your church, or jealous of your NSX or whatever), they get their jollies by toying with your life. Not cool. There should be laws (not bylaws, but actual laws enforceable by the executive branch) that overrule HOA rules in such circumstances. Such as having to prove repeated violations and breaches of contract that are detrimental to the "community."

Holy crap! $365 a month? More power to you, sir! Even if I could afford it, I think my values system/world view would be unable to justify it. That's awesome, though, that it's insignificant to your lifestyle. Good on ya, and God bless America (that is, capitalism).

Not too sure how I feel about the commercial vehicles thing, though. I can see a restriction on medium and heavy duty trucks, but a pool guy's pick up truck parked in his driveway seems like it should be okay. To me, forcing someone to keep their property off of their own property is beyond my capacity to fathom. My mind is more willing to accept the existence of the Easter Bunny than to accept something like that as even enforceable in the United States (I know, I know: contracts).

^^ Also "this."

Some of the things that I have heard from talking to coworkers and friends really put me off about the HOAs around here:
Certain ones dictate that every house will have a certain number (exactly a certain number, no more, no less) of trees and bushes and rocks in the yard... wtf?
Others dictate that parking head-in is the only acceptable way to park in your drive way...
Some even go so far as to dictate the number of trees in your back yard (!)

Only two people whom I've spoken to face to face like their HOA. One of them is the president of his HOA (and a decent guy).
The other has no interest in working on his cars (and is, like many, opposed to others doing it in his neighborhood).

I love to work on my cars... which means that I'll either have to bite the bullet for a few years and move into an HOA for a while, or just hold out for the right non-HOA property (which, ironically, are MORE expensive around here than the HOA properties).

I am down here in Chandler in an HOA neighborhood. I would never go back to an area without an HOA. Some people, no matter how much income they bring in don't take pride in the appearance of their residence. Shitty lawns, weeds, overgrown trees, cars under covers; all eyesores. It definitely affects property value as mentioned earlier.

With that being said, I do have a very strict HOA e.g. trash can must be put away on trash day. But I do appreciate where I live. Great area.

I hear ya on that... I would just feel bad knowing that my dues were funding teh enforcement of otherwise unconstitutional regulations... it just doesn't sit well with me to worry about how my neighbor keeps his yard... but I have always lived in apartments, so maybe I'll feel different about it after I get into a house.

Last edited:
Two days later I had the pleasure of meeting the head of the hoa, she told me I wasn't allow to even have a tool chest on the garage :-( .

The only correct response: "If that's the case... I will need to inspect your garage"

Back