• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How Far Do You Drive for Major Service?

I may have the record .. about 1600 miles (one way) from my home to Mark Basch's old shop in Phoenix in 2008. He had done the first major service on the car in about 2001 so I figured (a) if he complained out the quality of the previous work, I could remind them it was him, .. and (b) he was a very well respected NSX mechanic in the community (prior to the uneven history of his supercharger) and has done enough TB/WP replacements, he can probably do them in his sleep. At the time, I wasn't sure our local dealer had even done one.

I take mine to Ben at Daisy Automotive in Woodbine, MD. It's about 1-1.5 hours to get there from my home, but it's absolutely worth it. I wouldn't consider anyone else if I had to have any service done on my car. He's even better than his reviews here reflect! My car is currently at his shop for a major refresh mechanically and aesthetically, with the addition of a lot of performance parts including a supercharger.

Hey, [MENTION=28615]boca rat[/MENTION]. I have made the drive from Mississippi to Orlando maybe 50 times or more. It's usually in a really boring family sedan since I am usually accompanied by my, well, family. So when I said it was a great drive in the NSX I guess that is relative to my usual slog across the pan handle and down I-75 and the Florida Turnpike.

Then again, I'm the kind of guy who will make the 90 minute drive up to Leitha's every now and again. (I can't think of any other reason to drive to Hattiesburg.)

I will check out the NSXcapades thread. It has been four or five years since I made the last and only one I attended and I did have a great time. Thanks for the invite.

I have her sauce recipe. I'm from Jackson, MS.

I wouldn't be afraid to let any competent mechanic do routine services (fluid changes, brake work, tire replacements) on an NSX. But for the more complicated work, like timing belt changes or clutch replacements, I'd drive as far as I need to, to a mechanic who works on NSXs on a regular basis. In my own case, Ted at Muller's Woodfield Acura is "the man"; he's been working on NSXs since I bought mine in 1990. There are four other Acura dealers closer to home than he is, but he's the best NSX mechanic in the Midwest IMHO.

Took the car down to First Class Auto for TB/WP and all that entails, ALB system rebuild, valve adjustment, brake flush, fluid and oil changes, etc. etc. Nabil took about two and a half days to do all the work. He is thorough, professional, and great to work with. It did put 1200 miles on the NSX clock but it was a great drive.
Nabil is a terrific NSX mechanic. Too bad if you go there for service, you're stuck in Orlando for a few days; there's nothing fun to do in that town. (Sarcasm alert!)

2.5 hours from Knoxville, TN to Ashland City to hit up Barn Man. The car is in CO now though, so I may need to find something closer than ~18 hours back east.
Chris, at the Acura dealer in Boulder, does a lot of NSX work and is strongly recommended by many of the folks in CO.

Click here for recommended NSX mechanics throughout North America.

I do most of my own work, but when I need a lift or alignment I will hang out with Nick at Applied Motorsports who is about 1.5 hours away. Can't wait to get my tranny and engine rebuilt by him

..sweet IFLY......:biggrin:

I generally take my car to Nigel Motors (in Southern California), about 70 miles away from me. Ramon is very knowledgeable and reasonable priced, so I don't mind the drive.

I drove 4 hours from Miami to Nabil in 2013 and I plan on doing it again next time I have major service to do & the car is drivable!!!!

My local Acura dealer has a NSX tech and is only five miles from me. I'll try them out for the first time with the NSX in a few weeks, when I need an alignment; I am having Bilsteins installed sometime in March.

Back