• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How is the second generation build quality?

I'm looking at trading my Lambo for the new NSX (although I've never even sat in one). It's been about 10 years since I sold my first generation NSX.

I visited two people this weekend very close to Acura and the NSX, people that have been around these cars since the beginning and maybe even had a hand in developing the new car.

One told me it's a great car and I should buy one. The other told me he hates it, that the car is too heavy, build quality is poor and overall it's not a great car.

Putting aside any bias, what do you guys that actually own one think of the car taking these comments into account.

haha me thinks your detractor is fictional....:confused:

Why would you say that? I've been a member of this forum since 2001 but have been out of an NSX for a while. Why would I make that up? I was quite surprised by his comments. I won't post his name publicly but shoot me a PM and I'll tell you who it is, I'm sure you would know him. He said one local car was so bad it had to be repainted.

I have a text with a picture of a sheet of paper showing me a price for a 2017 NSX less my trade. It's a tempting number. The car is 400 miles away so I'm judging the car based on what I've read and been told. I thought I'd find 100% that this is a budget La Ferrari, but the reviews I've seen and read have been mixed.

I first saw the car at the Swap Shop in Ft. Lauderdale last year when I went to look at Preston's 275 GTB/C. To be honest I hated it, thought they completely missed it on the styling. I did read a quote from Preston Henn however that said it's better than any Ferrari he owns. I haven't thought about the car until I saw one in LA last weekend and thought it didn't look bad. Started looking at how they were being discounted and quickly got interested.

So are the real world owners happy with the quality of the car?

I am. I'm also delighted with the car in its stock configuration. I don't need to be the fastest or the loudest; I want enjoyment out of the driving experience which I do get from the car. My 2003 was the quickest car I owned until I got the 2017.

Some folks have encountered issues with wind noise, door rattles, and a faulty thermostat--fortunately, documented remediation steps exist. You can peruse the 2nd Gen dedicated site http://www.nsxwiki.com for some additional information.

Which Lamborghini are you coming from? I went from huracan to nsx and I'm not really that impressed with the nsx in comparison. It's a beautiful car though..

I don't know of anyone who has any issues with the build quality. There are a couple common defects, wind noise from the window seals being one. Hearing about a car that needed to be repainted is extremely surprising, considering how anal they are about quality at the PMC facility. Every car gets the same treatment going through prep to paint.

The only negatives I really ever hear about the car is the price point versus it's competition. But I'm pretty sure that most of them have never driven it. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive online other than that, and real world owners seem to love the heck out of the car. I do!

My car has 4200kms. we got it at 2700kms. no issues so far (touch wood). I dont fear it breaking like i did the Ferrari I traded it.

Can't compare it to the Huracan. totally different cars.

After being at the Lambo dealer recently, I want both. But cannot afford both. A performante would be ridiculous to own.

4500 miles and three track days under my belt and I LOVE this car. It's not for everyone, so I recommend you get a good test drive. I do enjoy the scream of a Lambo or non-turbo Ferrari, and the roar of my 930, but personally it gets old on a daily basis. The different modes of the NSX are just right for different moods. The downshifts in sport+ or track sound great unless you are hooked on the Lambo popping. If you like the busy Lambo interior, you'll be disappointed. I like the simplicity, but do wish there was more storage.

The hybrid system is great coming out of aggressive corners or randomly stomping on the go pedal and the brakes are fantastic. The hybrid battery could be a touch bigger, as it runs out of juice at times on the track.

I've had zero mechanical issues. My oil still looks new and hasn't used a drop. I've heard some have had minor consumption but not a concerning amount. A few rattles at times that I haven't bothered to track down, and some wind noise that was easily fixed. The infotainment and nav leave a lot to be desired, but that is overcome with CarPlay, I use that exclusively.

From a looks standpoint, I love the various lines and the blue is stunning in person. They could have done better with the front grill, but I like the lights, lip and side intake design. It gets rave compliments from everyone who sees it.

It seems to be a love/hate car, so spend some time with it to see what camp you fall into. Reviews are biased opinions and aren't worth much more than what I've typed here :cool:

I did not like the way it looked in pictures and the numbers on paper were not all that great at the 200k price point. I quickly lost interest.

I then got to see one in person at a cars and coffee and my mind changed. It looks so much better in person inside and out. Stunning car in person. But the numbers and the reviews I saw still steered me away. I then got to test drive one and that just changed everything. The car performs great. The drive feel is special. After that the search was on. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Esp at the price point that these cars are going for now. Besides a couple of tiny little things I wish Acura did differently, we def made the right choice.

Every chance I have gotten to drive I have had a huge smile getting into this car and firing her up. The more I have driven it the more I have liked the car.

There is no perfect car for everyone's different wants/needs in a car but I recommend getting behind the wheel of one and spending time with it before listening to someone else's opinion.

Why would you say that? I've been a member of this forum since 2001 but have been out of an NSX for a while. Why would I make that up? I was quite surprised by his comments. I won't post his name publicly but shoot me a PM and I'll tell you who it is, I'm sure you would know him. He said one local car was so bad it had to be repainted.

I have a text with a picture of a sheet of paper showing me a price for a 2017 NSX less my trade. It's a tempting number. The car is 400 miles away so I'm judging the car based on what I've read and been told. I thought I'd find 100% that this is a budget La Ferrari, but the reviews I've seen and read have been mixed.

I first saw the car at the Swap Shop in Ft. Lauderdale last year when I went to look at Preston's 275 GTB/C. To be honest I hated it, thought they completely missed it on the styling. I did read a quote from Preston Henn however that said it's better than any Ferrari he owns. I haven't thought about the car until I saw one in LA last weekend and thought it didn't look bad. Started looking at how they were being discounted and quickly got interested.

as was stated about some rattles and door seal issues everything else about fit and finish has been good, from cars I have seen and most owners who post on prime.

Thanks those are some interesting comments. I'm coming from the Gallardo. My progression has been 80's Porsches (slow and no idea why these values have shot up), NSX (nice looking but slow), 996 turbo (fast but sterile), 360 (fun and edgy to drive), 355 spider (wife's car but a blast to drive), Gallardo (a bit heavy, planted, fast, tons of attention). I've had the Gallardo for 5 years and just ready to try something new.

My favorite car in that bunch has been the Gallardo, closely followed by the 360. All the talk of quiet mode and comfortable to drive every day doesn't interest me. This will probably be a car I drive 1,500 miles per year potentially with a track day here and there. I stopped tracking cars when I bought the 360, I just thought it was too nice, but would like to start again.

I think I mentioned earlier that if the NSX was a true budget La Ferrari and too good to pass up I'd buy one. Those were the comments I got this weekend from someone who raced it. I'm just trying to sort through the other mixed reviews (heavy, numb). I guess I need to try and drive one. The other option is a 2015 Huracan.

Thanks those are some interesting comments. I'm coming from the Gallardo. My progression has been 80's Porsches (slow and no idea why these values have shot up), NSX (nice looking but slow), 996 turbo (fast but sterile), 360 (fun and edgy to drive), 355 spider (wife's car but a blast to drive), Gallardo (a bit heavy, planted, fast, tons of attention). I've had the Gallardo for 5 years and just ready to try something new.

My favorite car in that bunch has been the Gallardo, closely followed by the 360. All the talk of quiet mode and comfortable to drive every day doesn't interest me. This will probably be a car I drive 1,500 miles per year potentially with a track day here and there. I stopped tracking cars when I bought the 360, I just thought it was too nice, but would like to start again.

I think I mentioned earlier that if the NSX was a true budget La Ferrari and too good to pass up I'd buy one. Those were the comments I got this weekend from someone who raced it. I'm just trying to sort through the other mixed reviews (heavy, numb). I guess I need to try and drive one. The other option is a 2015 Huracan.

I have a heavily modified 930 that I have tracked a lot, but it's very well cared for. I've had the NSX on the same track three times, one time in rain all day. On the rain day, NO ONE could keep up and it was a blast to drive. The 930 is raw and powerful if you keep it spun up, it's light and nimble, but the suspension sucks and even with new shocks, heavier torsion bars and ER bushings, it moves around a lot, but it's a crap-ton of fun.

The NSX absolutes launches out of corners and feels great when driven hard. The tuning they have done with the steering, suspension, hybrid and brake-by-wire is truly amazing and the only time you really feel the weight is at the end of a fast straight under very hard braking, but some of that is the garbage stock Conti tires, I'll be getting PS4 one of these days. It turns in well and is very predictable mid-corner. The hybrid battery doesn't always keep up on this particular track because it's mostly hard acceleration out of corners without much recovery time in between. I've never seen it reach empty, but last week it was a hot day and I could tell late into a run that it wasn't not coming out of the corners quite as hard. I did not notice that the other dry day which was 70 F vs 90 ambient. It could have been the A/C adding load too, as it's used to cool the hybrid system when driven hard.

I've driven a friend's 360 F1 (not on track) and it's a lovely car. The NSX is faster and infinitely more stable and planted. The DCT transmission blows away the 360 as well.

Having slung all that praise, I do have concerns about your comment that you'll not drive it much. The hybrid system needs to be exercised or it will likely degrade prematurely. We have brutal winters where I live, so it will sit 4-5 months every year, but I ran it for 30 minutes every month over the winter per the user manual and it gets out 4-5 days a week the rest of the year. I'm a bit sad that I've relegated the 930 to garage queen, as I used to daily drive it all summer.

I'm in WI so not far away. My car usually sits November through April. I should drive it more, but it's difficult to find the right opportunities.

The nsx is superior to the gallardo in every way except looks and sound. I have owned my gallardo 15 months and have maybe 1300 miles on (400 of it occurred on the day I bought it and drove it home). I just don't enjoy driving it but my 7 yr old loves it. It feels heavy, dash sits too high, cant stand egear in auto or manual mode and in traffic a few weeks ago it overheated and stalled (guessing based google search its egear issue) after 1 hr of stop and go traffic (not fun pushing a lambo to the side of the road and everyone has something stupid to say) and stranded me for about 3-4 minutes before starting up again, have a hard time reading the speedometer, audio/nav system not good. The nsx I have owned 9.5 months and have over 4k miles of driving (I drive approx 7k miles a year total). I plan to get rid of it but enjoy looking at it in the garage so it stays a little longer for being pretty

I went to look at the new NSX in Naperville today. I wanted to like it but it's not the car for me. I like that it's modern and the technology is impressive, but they completely missed it on styling. From the side it's not bad. The front and back are pretty awful though. It probably has exotic performance but not exotic looks.

I did watch the Jay Leno clip where he interviews the designer. Why the he#@ would they hire someone just out of school to design it?

I told the sales person I was working with that when I went to look at the Lamborghini I just had to have it. With the new NSX I wanted a reason to like it but just didn't.

Last edited:
Michelle has been with Acura for 10+ years.

IMO lamborghini has always been about the "hey look at me, i'm an attention whore" factor. Bright colors, loud exhaust. not my cup of tea, but that's why theres lots of options out there!

The rear of the nsx is certainly smoother and less stylized compared to the Italians...the diffuser is still very nice, but the butt is round...and you want to xxx throw down.....

I went to look at the new NSX in Naperville today. I wanted to like it but it's not the car for me. I like that it's modern and the technology is impressive, but they completely missed it on styling. From the side it's not bad. The front and back are pretty awful though. It probably has exotic performance but not exotic looks.

I did watch the Jay Leno clip where he interviews the designer. Why the he#@ would they hire someone just out of school to design it?

I told the sales person I was working with that when I went to look at the Lamborghini I just had to have it. With the new NSX I wanted a reason to like it but just didn't.

So now that you have decided to pass on the NSX, when are you going to buy the Huracan?

^^^^
Cool that the Lamborghini CEO signed your Gallardo.

Yeah, I thought so. I pulled him out of a cocktail party when they opened the dealership in Downers Grove.

Wasn't her last claim to fame the ZDX?

Yes, which some (maybe a real minority, but some) of us consider a beautiful vehicle. Ahead of it's time styling-wise, that's for sure, now that the X6, GLS, and Model X are all competing in that "SUV/coupe" space. And the interior of the ZDX is wonderful--truly Tier 1 luxury in terms of materials, styling, fit-and-finish, etc.

Back