• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many are driving around with tired speaker (amps)?!

My system actually exploded the first week I got my 91 3 years ago. I have been listening to the song of my Comptech header/by-pass pipe/cat-back/airbox ever since. my wife won't drive the car though without tunes so when my windows gave out and the doors were opened up i sent the entire system to Peter at World of Sound in Florida (info on FAQ). I will hook it up tomorrow. he was incredibly knowledgible and very professional with a quick turn around. i would recommend highly.

Mine did the buzz and pop thing for a while before I could not take it any more. I pulled all the amps myself (not hard to do) and took them to the guy down in longwood, fl. I'm pretty sure he just replaced the electrolytic caps. No problems now. It could easily be done by anyone handy with a soldering iron (I was just to lazy to do it). Also He checked them out on the test bench and warranties his work (so it was probably worth the money).

Even when it is working perfect it's not the best of stereos. I kept it origional because I like the look of the head unit and spending a lot of money on an aftermarket stereo is not the highest priority.

It would be really nice if someone made an aftermarket replacement for the bose speakers/amps that was easy to retrofit and looks origional. I might go for that.

I was told by a local speaker repair shop that those 4 transistors have to be replaced. On my picture I mark them with RED. This will give you at list 1000 hours fine music. If your amp is relly bad than you have to change everything with green arrow on my picture (capasitors) this should give you up to 5000 hours of work time
smile.gif

dsc00085.jpg

www.geocities.com/nsxmeet/dsc00085.jpg
***If link does not work copy and paste to browser ***
You can get the 4 transistors from http://www.digikey.com/IRF.DKS$P=IRFIZ24N-ND
and you will need eight 1uf 50v 105C and two 820uf 16v 105C capasitors

I hope this helps
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by winreboot (edited 08 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by winreboot (edited 08 October 2002).]

I doubt you'll save a lot on weight with aftermarket speakers because of the magnet size (you'll probably increase the size of the speaker from 4" to 6"+). Thus the magnet weight will increase but you will also lose the oem enclosure and bose amp wieght. BUT it may be a wash... THEN you have to add the weight of your aftermarket amps that you will mount in your trunk or behind the passenger seat.... So the benefit I think will be not having to worrying about your bose amps going bad... That's the headache that I am trying to get rid of.....

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Before I bought my car, both side speakers did not work. The owner never bothered to fix them. I made sure that was done before I took ownership of the car. I think it was about a $300 fix for both. Now it sounds great and I hope to never have any more problems!

My drivers side amp blew about last December. I inquired about repairs and was referred to www.boserepair.com. I removed both amps and sent them in. They rebuild the entire amp with military grade components. I doubt they'll ever go out again. Their turnaround time can be a little as a wee (mine took four days) and only charge $99 per amp.

I have no financial interest in this company. Only expressing my satisfaction with the work done. I highly recommend them.

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
Does anyone have a step by step guide on the removal?

Gee, kenjiMR, you didn't try looking in the FAQ? Like, for example, here?

biggrin.gif
- just messing with you as an old-time NSXprime member, no offense intended
wink.gif

Tampa,
Andy at Buzz Off knows his s**t !! I talked to him at great length before bringing my rig down to him to go under the knife. I almost went with another retailer in Daytona Beach but didn't like their attitude and they didn't have a clue about installing the system I wanted in this kind of car. Example, they wanted to build a sub enclosure under the hood and port the sound into the car thru the footwell !!! Really, he suggested that !!
Anyway, I don't think the oil problem is going to be a big deal. Been remembering a few things and checking a few more and I'm a little more confident now of something.
I can send you some pics of the car and install if you would like!!
Buzz Off did a GREAT job. Highly recommend them to anybody.
frown.gif
Don't think I will be making NSXPO this year though. $$$

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I am on my second complete set, now mr driver's side is getting weak again...

Definitely frustrating, because when everything is working well, the sound system is plenty for as often as I listen to the stereo in my car. But the hissing/popping/buzzing the speakers/amps make as they die is really horrible.

Here's another source which I rarely see referenced but provided excellent service for me. Unlike some vendors who ship you a replacement amp (and therefore re-exposes you to another failure), this vendor actually repairs your amp and upgrades the components which are the amp's achilles heel. They even offer a 2 year guarantee which is what sold me! Maybe not the cheapest although they do have a special on doing all 3 at the same time. http://www.carstereohelp.com/

------------------
91 Blk/Blk daily driver
100K+ miles & still going strong

Hmm... I have a 92 and just recently had my first trouble with the sub going out and then the driver door speaker went within two days.

Took it to Acura of Memphis and they replaced the sub woofer, center speaker, and both door speaker/amps at no charge. Said it has to do with making sure the components match???

Anyway its working like new now..

[This message has been edited by Griffen (edited 14 October 2002).]

You got a honey deal for sure.

As for the comment about needing to hear the factory system. That has been my only complaint along with many other owners is how poorly the stock system sounds. This nice of car with a crappy sounding stereo.
frown.gif

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Back