• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many of you are annoyed by the 97 throttle?

When I lift off the throttle the rpms hesitate for a second then drop. I have to time my shifts definitely.

If I push in the clutch and lift the throttle at the same time, not only does the tach stay were it is, sometimes it even blips a little before going down. I have to lift the throttle a second before I push in the clutch. What's up with that? I miss the way it SHOULD BE!

I think it has something to do with emissions.

Is there a fix for this?

I have noticed also the "delay lets call it" on mine .The computer from factory is definatly set up w/ it vs's the immediate "crisp" response I get when blipping the throttle from my drag car.Im sure it can be overridden internally, being that I dont take my NSX to the staging lanes @ Firebird Raceway I just "pre-anticipate" the delay and compensate for it "when timing matters".You know on the street @ the light when a challenger appears (I ignore most of them though)not worth the fuel.
smile.gif

------------------

I believe thia "feature" is for emissions control and is found on most cars whether or not they have throttle-by-wire. My 2nd gen RX-7 had some vacuum valves that had the same effect.

In normal street driving (i.e., slower shifts), letting the rpms drop to idle and then hitting the throttle when engaging the next gear would cause a nice burst of emissions. Instead the car holds the throttle partially open for a short while.

I find it annoying too. It's much harder to be smooth and fast and you lose some of the sports-car quick reflexes feel. I doubt you can disable it now that it is buried in the ECU program.

It was only "somewhat" of a fix on post '98 cars. My 2000 does this, but only between 3000-3500 rpms. Drives me CRAZY!!! That's just about where I like to shift when just cruising through the neighborhood. So I have to shift before or after. I Checked with a couple of dealers and was basically told it's a "feature" that I'll have to live with. I wonder if this contributes to some premature clutch wear as it makes matching revs at "normal" speeds much more difficult.

S.L. Henry

I have this problem with my 97 but found that by changing to a lightened flywheel has helped a lot.Now it only does it above 5500 rpms which is OK with me.

Joe

Does this throttle lag also affect 1991's with throttle cables? When I shift normally (i.e. push in the clutch & let off the gas at the same time), the rpm's climb approximately 100 rpm and then drop. I assumed it was just a sticky throttle cable and was planning lubricate it with some WD-40. It sounds like this might not be the problem, though.

If the throttle lag is intentional and controlled by the ecu, is it possible to defeat it by removing (and plugging) the vacuum hose from the little diaphram on the throttle linkage that slows closure of the throttle?

I don't think it's possible for the ECU to make the throttle climb on the pre-95 cars.

It sounds to me like yours might be a timing thing. You say that you are pushing in the clutch and letting off the gas at the same time. Revs will climb if you push in the clutch and you're still on the gas, even slightly, as the clutch disengages. Try letting off the gas a split second before pushing in the clutch and I bet the revs won't climb.

Thanks for your response.

I'm pretty sure it's not a timing issue. In order to avoid a climb in rpms, I need to take my foot off the gas well before I push in the clutch. I can compensate for the throttle lag by driving that way, but it just doesn't feel natural.

I guess I'll be lubing up my throttle cable this weekend to see if that's the problem.

Back