• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how many of you have referred to the nsx as "x"

I've never called mine an "X", but the wife and I refer to it as "Red car". The other names for our cars are "the jellybean" (wifes Lexus ES300), "the pimp daddy" (my Mustang), and "the truck" (my MDX).

It's too bad that most of the driving population doesn't even know that Acura produces an exotic sports car like the NSX. Oh well!

I do this sometimes in casual company. The whole point of it is that you'd only be saying it with people who do know what an NSX is.

I think it's something I picked up from some other import fan friends of mine. To be honest, it was a term of endearment and not something to get bent out of shape over.

If a bunch of younger Supra and RX7 (often known as "the 7" :p ) guys say, "hey man, bring the X!" and you reply with "um... excuse me young fellows, but the vehicle is named the ACURA NSX and I would impress upon you to please refer to it in that manner" you kind of sound like a jerk.

To be honest, I was happy that the younger guys still thought kindly enough of the NSX to give it a nickname! Maybe we're just more casual out here in Brooklyn than the folks out there in Frisco :p

I guess the Timing Belt thread set off a chain reaction :rolleyes:

I do, I have, and I still will continue to occassionally refer to the NSX as "the X." I have almost never spoken it, but I have written it a lot. Perhaps that clarifies a bit.

Why? It's easier. Abbreviations are used by everyone on the Internet (IMO, IIRC, LOL, etc) and they speed up our typed communication. In a forum such as NSXPrime I do not need to keep typing the car's entire proper name to be understood by others.

In the other hand, I don't refer to it as "the X" when talking to others who are not familiar with the car. Around the house it is referred to mainly, as someone else stated, as "the red car." IMO (<--see it worked) NSX does not roll off the tongue as easily as "360" or "Spider." Pronounce it wrong or say it fast and it's hard not to hear "sex."

Let's get some opinions on Zaino vs Zymol, whaddya say??? :p :p

when i talk to my friends about the car, i call it "the X", because they know what i'm talking about. just like my 350Z-owning friend calls his car "the Z" in familiar company. i also call it "the little honda", but more than anything else i call it "my little hotrod".

what's the big deal using shorthand names or terms of endearment? do you always call your wife by name, or do you call her "hunny bunny" or "sugar-britches"? when you talk about your house do you always refer to it by street name and number? :D

How about.... "I ride my X all day long with no complain". or "My X is a slave, I can do to her whateverrrrrr I want...I roll her...I drift her...and everything in the book. Yet, NOT A BEEP out of her". :D

paladin said:
Actually, the only time i seem to do it is when i make bad puns
"Later guys, gonna go mess around with the X"
"I was cruising with the X going down the road and i punched her! It was great!"
best one:
"My damn X has been bitching at me all day" (day the engine light came on for some problems with the injectors)

I NEVER use the term "X" to refer to my NSX. Usually she is called "the Acura". Sometimes "the black car".

And of course, my wife refers to her as "the mistress". :)

Hi

Never call it the X. My boss calls it the "NXS" and I correct him every time. He knows what it is called, but can't help himself for reason unknown.

Maybe I should be out looking for a new job with a boss that respect my NSX? :)

Regards

I do.

When you pull 3 car lengths on someone and pump the breaks to let him catch up, you roll the window and yell out..."You've been X'ed!!!" Unless of course Jamie Kennedy was driving the other car.

Nope, never.

To put this into context, MDX owners refer to their SUV's as "the X". Now I feel that this is fine company to be in (I'm thinking about buying one), but the two cars are quite different. Thus they were given different names and so I USE their given names. JMO, Kevin

Just like we call Ferraris the F-cars, Porsches the P-cars, we should just use the first letter and call ours "The N"?

Curious by-stander: What kind of car is it?

You: "The N".

This is also a way to terminate a conversation.
:D

I usually refer to it as NSX or acura. My wife calls it "the red." My neighbor seriously struggles to pronounce n s x. It usually comes out like "en-ex-ex", I feel embarrased for him everytime.

I must admit to calling her "the X" on a few occasions, but only with people who understand the car and my verbal repartee. The same people who call my leased 04 TL "the rental".

I use correct terminology with the general public and try to promote the virtues of the NSX.

I do all the time on the local website I frequent, because I am the only one that posts with an X, so everyone knows it's me.....Around guys that don't know, it's an NSX.

This topic get brought up due to some of the posts I have made, shannon? :):)

tomc92bb000059 said:
I do all the time on the local website I frequent, because I am the only one that posts with an X, so everyone knows it's me.....Around guys that don't know, it's an NSX.

Nope not due to you but some of the other posters on the forum..
btw, where you been man?!?!? You busy this weekend?

tomc92bb000059 said:

I guess I am guilty as well of cheapening the car.
I refer to it as the X and the bike as an xx.
However, It started because my 5 year old couldn't get the NSX right as a 3 year old, she would just say X, it has been called that by my family since.
But if someone wants to pay for it for me and mod the hell out of it like I want it, I will call it whatever they want me to. ;)

I call BS

Cairo94507 said:
I call it the Acura or the NSX - never the "X". I also don't call it "Frisco" when you are from the Bay Area it is always San Francisco. Tourists call it Frisco.

In San Francisco, we call it "The City" dammit.

Re: I call BS

slashmatt said:
In San Francisco, we call it "The City" dammit.

Not too get too far off track, but there is only one place on earth that is "The City". The Bay Area is gorgeous, and is THE "Bay Area". NYC is The City.Of course, I could be biased...

;)

My friends call it the 'X-mobile'.....I kind of like the sound of it. As long as I know what car we are talking about I am not too concerned if other people mistake it for something else. :)

I refer to it as the "X" sometimes, when in the company of those who know what it is (friends, fellow NSX'ers), but never in the company of those who don't know what it is. Mostly I refer to it as the NSX, though. One of my friends calls it "the ac." One of my co-workers calls it the "NXS." Nothing really bothers me, though.. it's still the best car ever made, whatever you want to call it.

Dave

tochigidream said:
I refer to it as the "X" sometimes, when in the company of those who know what it is (friends, fellow NSX'ers), but never in the company of those who don't know what it is. Mostly I refer to it as the NSX, though. One of my friends calls it "the ac." One of my co-workers calls it the "NXS." Nothing really bothers me, though.. it's still the best car ever made, whatever you want to call it.

Dave

That reminds me of my friend Dave who calls it 'The Ac' as well. :D

Sometimes just to confuse people I will call it 'The Civic' or 'My Prelude' and just look at the confused faces of those around me. :D

Back