• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How so very stupid......

Last night - I went out for long drive in my beautiful red NSX. [something I often do] It was a clear cool evening and I had the road all to myself. I was minding my own business when all of a sudden a speeding car came out of nowhere and 'parked' himself in my 'blind-spot'. All I could see of that car was one headlight. It LOOKED like a 5-series 'BMW'. [but I wasn't sure] I thought he was baiting me - trying to get me to 'race'. Although I was already going about 110 km/h [70 mph or so] in a 90km/h [about 55 mph] zone - I decided to speed UP a bit [to 120 km/h] to see if he was going to stay with me. He did - and remained in my 'blind spot'. [which was annoying - to be honest] I had enough of THIS [I thought] and was about to 'gun-it' when all of a sudden - HE slowed down and got behind me. He THEN turned on his lights. That's right - those fancy [and optional - I'm sure!!] flashing roof-mounted lights. That 'BMW' - as it turned out - was actually an Impala police car. How embarrassing. How stupid. [sigh]

After all was said and done [and I stopped calling myself 'names' as though I was my very own school-yard bully] I had to admit - the cop probably did me a BIG favour. IF he didn't pull me over when he did [which was at 30 km/h over the speed limit] who knows what might have happened. I could have lost my car. [at least temporarily] 'ALL' I ended up losing was $173.00. [which I will pay - sometime in next 30 days]

Have YOU done anything really stupid?? [while in your NSX]

Thanks
Craig

Craig,

Too bad...I know that sinking feeling (not in my NSX, yet!). You're right, it could have been lots worse.

Strange tactics on behalf of the cop, though--it's a good lesson for me to watch for. I can't stand having someone in my blind spot, either. It seems that 90% of the population either doesn't realize that they're driving in another's blind spot, or don't care...

I have not been burned (yet) in my NSX, but I expect I'll be watched more closely in my red '97-T than my sleeper green '94. I must have had horseshoes strategically placed, because I drove my previous car occasionally (!) over the posted limit, but never got tagged. I am quite paranoid now, though.

I'm also running without my front plate, which is probably temping the gods somewhat. My reasoning is, because I live right next to Quebec, the cops are not expecting to see a front plate on all the cars (its not mandatory to have one in Quebec). I haven't been pulled over yet...

Thanks for sharing your story--I'll be more careful of blind-spotters in future!

------------------
Steve
Formula Red '97-T

5 years ago, I was driving through Wisconsin one time on my way to Michigan. (in a rental car) I was on business and had not slept much the night before. I'm driving along (I guess around 80), pass the highway patrol (who is driving about 70), didn't even notice him. He was in the lane right next to me the whole time.

He pulled me over but just gave me a warning. I guess he figured no one would be THAT stupid to speed pass a HP car. Just me.

Have YOU done anything really stupid?? [while in your NSX]

Thanks
Craig[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, seems like everytime I take the car out I think I have done something stupid and got away with it.

ive been ticketed twice in the NSX(one I deserved was speeding like hell and knew it.the other was a joke) and pulled over 7 times. 7! but only ticketed once.I was pulled for 1 mile over in a 55mph zone while cars were flying past me at 70+.I pointed it out to the officer.he just indicated he did not like the way I accelerrated off the light to cruise speed.no tire chirp slow launch and steady throttle to the speed limit got me a warning.more then once also my pipes were loud.I was told by a friend on the force that 'they know my car' I am speeding recklessly and 'will' catch me in the act. like they have me targeted.I was chastised by a cop a couple days ago for talking to another driver!as we slowed for the stoplight no other cars around..saw the cop sitting on the side a car pulled up next to me as we were slowing and he commented how nice my car was.I returned the compiment and suddenly to my right theres the cop (we are now at a dead stop at the light still no other traffic.cop screams out his window ..hey both of you.if you want to talk pull it over into a parking lot.I WANTED to ask him his name and badge but I got a hold of myself and we both flipped him off as he drove away down the side street.incredible,its ok if mom and pop ask each other directions but two guys in sport cars are probably setting up a race or up to no good.pinellas has become harrasment central if you run a fast car
david

Craig, sounds almost like entrapment to me. I also hate having cars in my blind spot (who doesn't?), but now I'll know better--back off and let them pass rather than speed up and try to lose them!

Hmmmm. In Ohio cops do that sort of thing all the time. I've actually had a cop get behind me and tail-gate within a foot of my rear bumper in the pitch black dead of night. I was in the slow lane so I couldn't get over and therefor decided to speed up. Of course he then decided to switch on his lights and pull me over for speeding. When asked why I was speeding, I told him that I didn't know he was a cop and it was either pull away or slam on my brakes. He let me off with a warning.

Since then, this (rediculous proximity infringement) has happened 2 other times. Now when someone tailgates me that closely I just slow way down to a near stop. Only cops could be so arrogant.

I think that in Texas or maybe in Fort Worth, that the cops can not speed unless they have their disco lights on. There have been some pretty bad accidents on the road involving some billy bad ass cops speeding and some innocent people just driving. Just tonight though I was on my way to dinner and there was a copy at an light and I turned to get infront of him while he was waiting. By the time I was 1/4 mile away, he came right up to me and then turned the disco lights on and I said to myself, I was not speeding at all but he went around me and for a mile or so (I could see him) booked it only turning the lights on at intersections. Dont know what his problem was but they should adopt the same policies all over. Seems like you cant speed anywhere anymore.

------------------
8k RPM in a recliner!

Hey, Craig, that must've been on the Island Hwy. There's nowhere else you can do that speed without getting into serious trouble in Victoria. I just built a house 20 minutes north of you (Mill Bay), and it's cool to see another Victorian on the board. I sold my '88 911 Club Sport last year, and I've been on the lookout for its replacement. I had been considering a '91-'93 Porsche 964, but I've changed my mind (in favour of an NSX, of course). Did you find your car locally? What year is it? Best, Lance.

Thanks bonzo, Weakest Link, NSX4U2, BadCarma, PHOEN$X, Juice and UrbanPilot for responding!!

In my experience - MOST cops are OK - especially if they've been 'around' for a while. It's the 'hot-shot' young cops that you have to be careful with. They're still to nervous to actually THINK for themselves and [therefore] go 'by the book' no matter WHAT. [they are also more likely to be intimated by some nearly 40 year old guy in an NSX]

The fact that the ONLY other car on the road anywhere near me [when I was pulled over] was the COP is something that really bothers me. I was endangering NO ONE. I'm bouncing between fighting it and forgetting it. ['forgetting it' is winning] The main reason for 'forgetting it' has to do with the fact that I really HAVE been speeding a LOT lately. [and at speeds far in excess of the 120 km/h I was ticketed for] Who knows - maybe the ticket was a 'gift'. Maybe I need to slow down a bit.

Hey Lance!!

I got the ticket about 5 minutes north of Duncan. I was coming home from my mom's place in Parksville. I often drive 'spiritedly' [lol] on the Island Highway AND between the light at Sydney and the second to last exit before the Ferry terminal. I bought my 1991 NSX used at Burrard Acura in Vancouver. I traded in a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE for it. It had 62,000 km on it when I bought it and now it has just under 120,000 km. I'm glad I bought it when I did. I couldn't afford to NOW!!

Take care!! [all of you]
Craig!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by CanadaCraig (edited 23 September 2002).]

Craig - that's typical police BS tactics. My question is: if you were doing 70mph and the speeding police officer "came out of nowhere," how fast was HE going? Why is it safe for him to break the law at a much higher rate of speed than you? (All rhetorical questions, BTW.)

I have gotten speeding tickets in many places, including Ontario in 97 while on a fishing trip. It was for a 60kph in a 40kph zone. Little did the cop know I was doing 110mph minutes before in my rented Lumina!!

My story was almost unbelievable.....

One night (2am or so) as I was going home driving 35mph in a 35 zone (near residential), a car came up really close to my rear bumper tailgating me. I'm like what the heck is this guy trying to do? There were stop signs along the way and after each stop sign, the guy would come tailgating me over and over again. I looked through my rear mirror and noticed the brown Chevy type of vehicle so I figured he couldn't be a cop....no roof lights or anything....so....I started speeding up to increase the distance and finally got up to 60mph! That's when I noticed the car behind me caught up with me with a faint red siren on his dashboard! Of course I pulled over and so did he. I rolled my window down and had my hands on my wheel when I noticed a guy dressed in normal street clothes with a fully loaded belt (gun, police stick..all the normal police gear) He told me he was an undercover cop doing his night duty due to the recent car thieves in the area. He checked my license and registration and asked a whole bunch of questions like did i own the car, was it bought new and things like that. He wasn't a traffic police so i don't think he has the right to ticket me. He finally let me go, but heck, that was the most bizarre experience. I'm sure some people would of just gunned their NSXs and be gone. Who would've imagined that undercover cops would be pulling over law abiding citizens like us? anyways, that's my show and tell for the day.....sorry for the long A$$ story....

I'm still stewing. Chances are - I'll just pay the $173 and be done with it. [even though - because I also got 3 'points' on my license - I'll have to pay $473 the NEXT time I get a speeding ticket.] However - I can't convince myself that ANY cop [let alone a Judge] would give a damn about MY side of the 'story'. Do I really want to worry about a pending court date [which could be several months from now] just to hear, "well Mr. Craig, you WERE speeding." Cops [for the most part] are 'good little soldiers'. They go by the 'book' and rarely consider the fact that they're dealing with HUMANS. It's HUMAN - I think - to be upset when someone is riding your ass [so to speak] on an otherwise deserted highway. It's also human to want to distance yourself from such a person. BUT... "you WERE speeding, Mr. Craig."

I've gone over and over in my head what I'd say in court in defense of myself. Unfortunately - I can't help but get carried away. My fantasies usually end with me throwing a dictionary at the cop who gave me a ticket and insisting he look up the word 'servant'. [as in 'public SERVANT'] lol

Craig

ps Hey 'Blue Knight' - I for one LOVE 'long a$$' stories!! lol

I was watching a documentary one day on CBC about street racing in Vancouver area. I heard that some cops pull over modified cars (Integras, Accords, Civics), and they will check them to see if they have lowered suspensions, loud exhaust notes, clear taillights etc. The police there have zero tolerance on street racing. So if your car is heavily modified, they will tow it.

Since you live in Victoria, BC, I'm not surprised that these things happen. It's just showing how extreme the law is enforced around that area.

Back