• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HP/TQ rating — Is Honda being conservative?

It seems that other hybrid cars — even the three hybrid hyper cars — calculate HP/TQ by simply adding up the totals provided by the ICE and electric motor(s). With the NSX, Honda quotes a figure that’s less than the sum total of the four motors’ HP/TQ (619/623), and says 573/476 is the most all four can be generating at any one time. Is there a reason they do this and the others don’t? Do any of you suspect the actual crank output is closer to the sum total?

Last edited:
I could be wrong, Chris from SOS can confirm, but the electric motors add the majority of their output as "torque fill" per say. So they add the most umph in the low ICE rpm. This is why when manufacturers quote peak power ratings it's too short sighted in my opinion. I'd take a dyno graph any day of the week.

It's Honda being fair. The other guys not so much.

The electric motors add their output as "torque fill" mostly in lower ICE rpm, so the way Honda calculates is the only true representation.

The Torque fill in coupled with the low first gear help propel this car to the very competitive 2.8/2.9 seconds from 0 to 60 mph.

Back