• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HRE 542R Rebuild - Engraving or No Engraving?

Should I get the wheels engraved with the HRE logo on the spokes?

• Total voters
See bottom of post 22 Caroline :) I am planning to install these Saturday morning- should I trust discount tire to do the install or take it somewhere w a hunter machine (touch less)? I've already paid discount tire for it too so I would have to eat the additional cost as insurance.

Do not take it to Discount tires. They ruin two of my HRE lips! They even tried to blame it on me that it was my fault and it was already there! BUT THE RIMS WERE BRAND NEW! Take it somewhere safe.

Pics

P7140107 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140111 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140117 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140118 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140119 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140121 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140123 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140128 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140131 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140134 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140135 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140105 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140138 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

My first impressions are that I am surprisingly impressed by these. Fitment was BANG-ON perfect and cleared my BBK safely with the maximum amount of lip possible. This is their standard fitment, which I prefer (not aggressive to the point of hurting performance but more aggressive than OEM). The other thing that I expected to suffer was acceleration, but I am very relieved to say that even the 10.5" rears were not a big penalty. I'm not exactly sure how, but the car still feels quick- not as fast as before with the 9" wide magnesium wheels but FAR better than with my old cast 9.5" wide wheels. I fully expected to be disappointed in that respect. I think I will be able to street drive these without starving for the extra performance, something I was worried about. I hate the idea of compromising on a performance car, but there is little sacrifice here... except for the money that is ;) Worth it though, the stance looks absolutely menacing from the rear with the camber (no alignment change) and the fat tires that appear to stick out past the rear valence. The other thing I really love is how the yellow calipers reflect in the mirrored lip. Overall a very upscale look IMO and a really rare set of wheels to set the car apart so I'm very happy with the results.

Last edited:
Re: Pics

P7140107 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140111 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140117 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140118 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140119 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140121 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140123 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140128 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140131 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140134 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140135 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140105 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

P7140138 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

My first impressions are that I am surprisingly impressed by these. Fitment was BANG-ON perfect and cleared my BBK safely with the maximum amount of lip possible. This is their standard fitment, which I prefer (not aggressive to the point of hurting performance but more aggressive than OEM). The other thing that I expected to suffer was acceleration, but I am very relieved to say that even the 10.5" rears were not a big penalty. I'm not exactly sure how, but the car still feels quick- not as fast as before with the 9" wide magnesium wheels but FAR better than with my old cast 9.5" wide wheels. I fully expected to be disappointed in that respect. I think I will be able to street drive these without starving for the extra performance, something I was worried about. I hate the idea of compromising on a performance car, but there is little sacrifice here... except for the money that is ;) Worth it though, the stance looks absolutely menacing from the rear with the camber (no alignment change) and the fat tires that appear to stick out past the rear valence. The other thing I really love is how the yellow calipers reflect in the mirrored lip. Overall a very upscale look IMO and a really rare set of wheels to set the car apart so I'm very happy with the results.

Nice! It sure is a rare set of wheels. I would lower it just a little bit more tho :wink:

Would love to lower the rear to match the front but Father Honda saw fit to put it at this height for some reason. Probably bc the rears are softer than the front springs so they need more room to travel. Really wish there was a way to do it but there is no way I am giving up this perfected suspension to get a set of adjustable coilovers. I have used both Bilsteins and KWs on the other car and they are both nice but way too soft.

Last edited:
Wow! COngrats, they came out great ... Enjoy!
I may have to think about updating my 547's now
to that Barrel.

Wow! COngrats, they came out great ... Enjoy!
I may have to think about updating my 547's now
to that Barrel.

Thanks Samurai- you mean update your barrel to get a 10.5" rear width? Wait till they need repair first!

I need to find a way to drop the back... or it's the taller rear tire profile that I am not loving- but there are no good choices for a matching set of tires. It does look much better in person than photos, but I am also wondering if I should have gone with full polish now. I am going to change the tires to AD08s on the tecnos and use a 17/18 setup plasti-dipped in white as my track set.

Last edited:
Back