• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HRE 542R Rebuild - Engraving or No Engraving?

Should I get the wheels engraved with the HRE logo on the spokes?

• Total voters
I have my wheels at HRE getting new barrels and the centers refinished. I think I am going with a brushed/clearcoated center and polished/clearcoated lip.

Now, my question is: Should I add the engraved logo on the spoke as shown in my photoshops?

HRE 542R Engraving Comparison Side by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

HRE 542R Engraving Comparison by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

DSC00028-1 by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

Also, if you have thoughts on polished centers vs brushed centers I am still on the fence about them. These wheels will not be my daily wheels, they are more for shows and meets. The fronts are 18x8, the rears are 19x10.5. Some people don't like the bling bling look of polished wheels on the NSX but these wheels are just for that purpose. Discuss!

Last edited:
Haha nice I would get it like the last photo, :wink:

I like the brushed centers with the engraving... for some reason I dont like the polished centers at all, and even less with the engraving :confused:

No to the engraved logo. I don't see the point.

Well its bc the opportunity is there and it's part of their latest styles, which I like and it would "update" the wheels. Also, I may run OEM center caps at times.

Those wheels looks really hot, with or without the engraving :eek:! I really like how the brushed finish look on those wheels. Can't wait to see it on the car :wink:

Brushed centers no engraving.

I've always liked that style HRE's...

There was an 02+ black conversion NSX with the same wheels beyond SLAMMED years ago and it was one of my favorites and inspired me to do my 02 conversion years ago when my car was midnight pearl.

Those wheels looks really hot, with or without the engraving :eek:! I really like how the brushed finish look on those wheels. Can't wait to see it on the car :wink:

Thanks! I'm excited too, I kinda saved doing this as a present to myself for reaching a personal milestone. Had the wheels just sitting for like 2-3 years since they've been discontinued.

HRE customer service has got to be the best in the business by the way, very professional and willing to accommodate any request. A+ so far.

Brushed centers no engraving.

I've always liked that style HRE's...

There was an 02+ black conversion NSX with the same wheels beyond SLAMMED years ago and it was one of my favorites and inspired me to do my 02 conversion years ago when my car was midnight pearl.

Haha, yeah I think we have the same taste- as I recall you've got a black CLK as well. I have pics saved of that car with the 02 conversion, it was definitely beyond slammed (member id was nsxslammed). I kinda think that these wheels look better with the popups for some reason... the lines are a bit sharper on the 02 than the original and I like a tapered spoke design like the Volk GT-V. We'll see about that though since I am planning to do the conversion and keep the HREs =)

Last edited:
No engraving.
If you want to do a similar look and for it to be only temporary, get vinyl stickers instead!!

No engraving.
If you want to do a similar look and for it to be only temporary, get vinyl stickers instead!!

+1 Don't engrave them, just stickerize em if you want something unique

Agree, HRE has excellent support and customer service

Haha I think the consensus is to not engrave them, so I think I will not do it. I'm not trying to be a brand whore so the vinyl I'll probably skip, I just thought that the engraving might add a bit of detail to the metalwork and stop people from asking me what kind of wheels they are. I get that all the time on the clk since I am running OEM centercaps.

Now then- should I have the inner barrels done as regular silver powdercoat instead of a mirrored inner lip with powder clearcoat?

Last edited:
I think it looks fantastic on these pictured below (which is where I got the idea), but it's not translating over in my poor photoshops. It may be because the spokes aren't straight too.

HRE-Wheels-948rl.jpeg

As far as the paying to advertisement argument, not sure that has any solid logic. For example, people have OEM emblems all over every car, front, rear, sides (centercaps)- are they paying you to advertise their company? No, you bought the car and are paying them for a product you like from a brand you like. I think the bottom line is that some people find it "distasteful" when you "advertise" premium products for companies because it looks like showing off.

Last edited:
Aamir - Love those rims. I had a set of 19" HRE 542R's (Blk w/polished lip) on my 993TT. Looked awesome!

I say skip the engraving and go with the brushed w/polished lip :cool:

Love those rims. I had a set of 19" HRE 542R's (Blk w/polished lip) on my 993TT. Looked awesome!

I say skip the engraving and go with the brushed w/polished lip :cool:

That's exactly what I decided. :smile: I think I saw a pic you posted of that car somewhere, the 542 looks right at home on Porsches.

Cant wait to see those in person. You lucky bastard.:wink:

I can't wait to see them in person either David! :biggrin:

Last edited:
As far as the paying to advertisement argument, not sure that has any solid logic. For example, people have OEM emblems all over every car, front, rear, sides (centercaps)- are they paying you to advertise their company? No, you bought the car and are paying them for a product you like from a brand you like. I think the bottom line is that some people find it "distasteful" when you "advertise" premium products for companies because it looks like showing off.

Sure it has logic. Those are 2 different things you are talking about. Right now the wheels do not have the engraving on them. You have the option of adding it or leaving them alone. The car comes with the branding by default. There is no choice to buy it without emblems.

There is the choice of removing all the emblems, people do it all the time. Point was just that there's a bias there, IMO.

Wheels are finally en route. They have been ready to ship for a week but their wheel fitment expert became a ghost when I needed him to confirm some info for me so I held off. Other than that guy, the service was wonderful.

I should also be seeing some Toyo T1R tires come in for these too so I hope to mount everything up soon after the holiday. They are like the only decent tire made in both sizes (215/35/18 & 285/30/19). Hoping it works out...

EDIT:
Toyos are discontinued, going with BFG KDW2's again in 215/35/18 & 275/35/19.

Last edited:
Install pics?

Back