• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HSC=Next NSX?

Having reviewed the many comments in this thread it appears that the HSC is NOT the NSX successor, but might be produced to compete with a broader intent and on a broader scale than was intended for the NSX. It appears that the HSC may be produced to compete with both the lower priced existing, or soon to, be new cars from a number of manufacturers, i.e., Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX-8 (RX-7), BMW Z-4, Mercedes SLK32 AMG (successor SLK350?), Audi TT, Porsche BoxsterS and yes, hold your breath, even the Chrysler Crossfire, etc., as well as compete with the higher priced "exotics" such as the Ferrari Modena and Porsche 911 derivatives. I sense that HONDA wants to claim a new niche in the market by being better than the lower priced cars so that it is considered the "best of" that line of vehicles, while at the same time attempting to one up the "big boys" with a less expensive car that has the looks, feel and capability of the exotics at a fraction of their price. To that end, I believe HONDA will be more "financially" succesful than it was with the introduction of the NSX in NA because it will appeal to a broader market and it will truly be a better vehicle in all respects than the lower priced line of cars, especially if the price point is ala Corvette level.

The differece between the HSC and the NSX is that HONDA did not target the lower priced sports cars (were there any to speak of anyway!) with the NSX, consequently it never enjoyed a "best of" comparison against any line of vehicle that it was targeted to take on, ie., Ferrari and Porsche. Yes, we all know the NSX is better than the same period Ferrari (348) and whatever Porsche 911 derivative existed at the time (911 Carrera) and, without question, a number of auto magazine car comparisons found the NSX superior (read:"Acura-Honda NSX Performance Portfoglio 1989-1999", from Brooklands Books).

IMHO HONDA will not make the same mistake again, and that is why I believe that a new NSX, built with the same market in mind as the original will emerge from HONDA. It is more likely that the HSC will be an intermediate step between the likes of the HONDA SC 2000 and the NSX which will likely fade away after a short period of overlap with the HSC.

In 1990 HONDA through its Acura Division of America produced a glitzy 12 page insert in many popular auto magazines which stated on the title page and following page, "IT HAS BEEN SAID THAT A CAR MAKES A STATEMENT ABOUT THE PERSON WHO DRIVES IT, THIS ONE MAKES A STATEMENT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO BUILD IT." This promo piece went on to state, "Upon its unveiling, the vehicle you see before you will no doubt be referred to in many ways: as exotic, breakthrough, even history in the making. We prefer to think of it as, simply, a mission statement. ... Not a car buyer's dream, mind you...but a car maker's dream." The piece then went on to show a photo of Aryton Senna in a vintage 1989-90 HONDA F1 car, boasting (legitimately) the prowess at the time of HONDA engineering and stating about the NSX, "IT HAS REVOLUTIONARY WRITTEN ALL OVER IT, UNDER IT AND INSIDE IT." The promo piece then concludes with two interesting statements:

continuation of diatribe

not done writing yet---got a call--sorry for the chop job on the post--be back with the rest:D

There is a possibility that Honda is considering building 2 sports cars from the same platform.

One is based on the HSC with 300Hp V6 for $50K. The other uses the same chassis/platform, but gets a makeover in body panels and a supercharged V6 or V8, with upgraded interior for $75K. The second being the Gen 2 NSX.

Spinning off multiple vehicles from the chassis is very commonly done today. Altima-Maxima-Murano have same chassis. TL-accord-TSX also, along with G35-350Z-FX35/45. Even next generation Supra-IS300/430

the finish

The last two comments in the piece are:

"THE TERM 'SPORTS CAR' IS NO EXCUSE FOR BUILDING AN INCOMPLETE AUTOMOBILE." "NSX. IT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CHASE YOUR DREAM INSTEAD OF THE COMPETITION."

IMHO this promo piece tells me why the HSC is not the NSX successor and will not be intended to fill its shoes, because the purpose of the car is different and will fulfill other marketing goals for HONDA. IMHO there will not be an immediate transitional successor to the NSX but, instead there will be a continuing evolution of this upper mid-market sports car (45,000 to 60,000).

To that end our NSX icon will remain the exotic that it was intended to be and has been over the years. NOW, it will be nice to have the HSC in the stable alongside the NSX.
:D :p :cool:

Sorry about the double post above. I just realized that if you hit the tab key (I was doing it indent the quotes) multiple times it automatically submits your post and, in fact, will do it multiple times. Sorry, I really was not trying to jack up the total posts to this interesting thread.

If the HSC is only 50-55K, I have no issue with it only having 300HP. It should perform well against cars in that $$ range. It will still get creamed by a Z06, but it will offer similar performace with a totally different approach.

I have to agree with the posts above about "500HP". That is the standard for an exotic. Even the next Z06 is said to have 500HP. The new M5 will have 500 HP.

IMO, if the HSC is intended to replace the NSX at the same or higher price and has only 300HP, it will lack the respect of ANY potential buyer looking at ferrari, lambo or porsche. Those are the markets this car needs to go after if they plan on selling higher volumes of this car. America is a HP driven market and it always has been. If they want this car to be a success, it must have high HP.

You know, at around the cost of the current NSX (like Honda insist) a 400~450HP V6 at 2600~2800lb will do for me. :D And maybe a real stick instead of paddle shift...

Shumdit said:
I bet there was a team effort to design the Pontiac Aztek too, and look how that turned out!:D
No kidding. But the Aztek is clearly on the majority's shit list. OTOH, so far the people giving the HSC thumbs down on the list are way on the minority. As I said, there is no way that Honda will be able to please everyone. So it does not get your approval but that does not mean Honda did a bad job.
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
No kidding. But the Aztek is clearly on the majority's shit list. OTOH, so far the people giving the HSC thumbs down on the list are way on the minority. As I said, there is no way that Honda will be able to please everyone. So it does not get your approval but that does not mean Honda did a bad job.
Steve

Almost everyone on this site, including other sites like ferrarichat think the HSC is gorgeous and are excited about it. The only area causing controversy is the HP rating. Honda is not stupid, they must know that americans want HP.

I think it is funny that if you read this thread, there were nothing but good comments until the HP figure came out. THen things started going downhill for a few people (myself included).

princxixor said:
What you've all been waiting for... moving video footage of the HSC from Honda. (Warning, these pages are in flash)

on road footage of the HSC:
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/hsc/promo-video/broadband/index.html

video footage from the Tokyo Auto Show:
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/hsc/live-video/broadband/index.html

interview - exterior:
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/hsc/interview/exterior/index.html

interview - interior
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/hsc/interview/interior/index.html
Thanks for posting the videos.

The more I see this car the more I like it. Even with just 300hp I'd still love to own one. Heck, I've bought two so far with 10 hp less. :cool:

BTW - I found all the pics that I posted on the Japanese Honda website. There are several more interesting ones, tho I think I've already posted the best ones. :D

http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/tokuhain/hsc/index.html

There are 28 in all. But here are a couple more interesting interior shots:

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

NetViper said:
Almost everyone on this site, including other sites like ferrarichat think the HSC is gorgeous and are excited about it. The only area causing controversy is the HP rating. Honda is not stupid, they must know that americans want HP.

I think it is funny that if you read this thread, there were nothing but good comments until the HP figure came out. THen things started going downhill for a few people (myself included).
I agree. But perhaps the HSC will not be priced like a NSX at the $80+k zone and marketed as an exotic car. If we expect it as a light weight, high reving, being very decent gas efficient, a one to 2 steps above the S2000 car around $55k to $60k. Then 300ps in a car that is capable of mid 4s for 0-60 and 175mph does not sound too shabby at all not to mention its stunning good look. You know the finess thing that NSX has been famous/infamous for. It is not the brute force that Honda is looking for but what kind of asses it can kick.
Steve

I think we could make some fairly accurate inferences about performance if we only knew the actual displacement of the motor
and the weight of the car. I haven't found either of these statistics on any of the links. Has anyone else?

I do like the Instruments. They might get old quick, but me "likey" for now. Still hoping for redesign on the ass of the beast! I, clearly, must be in the minority, as I am not enthused with the looks of the car, and do not mind "only" 300 HP if the car is not a porker. Where the hell is MY drummer?, I can't dance to the beat of ya'lls!;)

This car does not have a trunk. Any storage is behind the front seats. The engine and wheels are set further back than the NSX engine and wheels. Think of it as a stretched NSX with the trunk chopped off.
I hope it comes with an automatic transmission.

JimK: The displacement number I read was 3.4 l

NetViper: Japanese cars are limited to 180 km/h in the home market - an experience that an australian NSX prime member just made (look in the Europa forum).

NSX-Racer said:
JimK: The displacement number I read was 3.4 l

NetViper: Japanese cars are limited to 180 km/h in the home market - an experience that an australian NSX prime member just made (look in the Europa forum).

Wow, 180K is horrible. I hope you can dissable that.

As far as displacement. I have seen 3.0, 3.2 and 3.5. It should be a 3.5 as that is what is going in the new RL.

NetViper said:

As far as displacement. I have seen 3.0, 3.2 and 3.5. It should be a 3.5 as that is what is going in the new RL.

That is what I'm thinking too. If it really is 3.5L then I really doubt it will only have 300HP. I mean, a bump in 0.3L just for 10HP seems unlikely. Unless it will be all torque. At 3.5L I'm thinking at least 330-350HP which I know you still think is low, but would probably be enough to push this car in the low 12s I think. I really think once the RL comes out we would all have a better idea on what displacement a replacement NSX will really get.

I can't believe I read all 9 pages. It was worth reading though. From what I've read, there is no mention of I-VTEC. Will this awesome car get I-VTEC?

nsxtacey said:
From the amount of promo honda has put into this car, it sure sounds like more than a concept Very likelyhood of being a production car.
Not necessarily...I think they put out just about as much for the Dualnote.
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2001/auto/DUALNOTE/index.html

If anything, they gave more actual info on that car than this one. In English, at least...can anyone translate those HSC videos? :)

I started looking around a bit and noticed that the picture of the Dualnote's 3.5L IMA engine...

p001.jpg

...looks very similar to the HSC's engine...

hsc4.jpg

So my guess on the engine size issue is 3.5L. :)

The Video shows 300ps in the text that they flash over the screen of the car (ps?)

HSC- is HONDA
Has any one asked their HONDA dealer about gettiing on the list for this car? If its a 300hp car and $50k HSC
could it go to HONDA dealers in US?

I don't like HONDA dealers. They acted like big jerks with the s2000, I had just come from testing a BMW Z3 M were the salesman just tossed me the keys and said have fun! I did!

HONDA dealer acted like he had a Ferrari F50 "oh we don't let people take out this fast sports car".

So I went over to Ferrari and drove a 348 spider and then tried a Porsche Boxter the next weekend I bought the BMW most fun. HONDA doesn't know how to sell sports car. They thought they had something Exotic. What a joke.

HOPE IT GOES TO ACURA. They had no problem giving me a test drive of NSX when I was shopping for that car.

cross-posting from NSX List, without author's permission...

from NSX List ( [email protected] )
Subject: Honda site for Tokyo Motor Show

I wonder if you already visited this site. http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2003/auto/hsc/index.html

I met Mr. Uehara at NSX Fiesta 2003 in Suzuka.
He said "HSC is not next NSX. We study such sportscar, too.".

I cannot see the Tokyo Motor Show this month.
I look forward to see HSC.

=================================
NSX CLUB of JAPAN
http://www.nsxcj.com/
[email protected]
=================================

There was a TV programme on UK TV, where a HONDA spokesperson was talking about the Dualnote when it was being shown at a motor show. She said that for the domestic market it would be limted to 280bhp, but there could also be a 430bhp version for international markets. I guess there is no reason why the same would not apply for the HSC.

Soooooooooooo we are looking at the-

- Del Sol 2 ?

- Prelude reborn ?

I can't wait to see the next NSX... at this rate it will be an exact copy of the ENZO. Sounds like a good partnership...Ferrari creates the demand with stupid low production numbers, and Honda fills it.

Back