• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I dream of owning a commuter NSX, but have some questions.

Hey all,

Long time listener, first time caller....I hope one day in the next 5 years or so to buy an NSX as my commuter car. I'm hoping to get some insight from current car owners on a few things.

1) Can I expect about the same reliability of an NSX as the civics and element I've owned over the years? Any big expenses to be expected after X miles?
2) I'm 6'4" and this car rarely comes up for sale in my area (Portland, OR), will I even fit in this car? I see it has better leg room than my '08 Civic, but 3in. less headroom.
3) I'd like to upgrade the center console with a nicely fitted and clean tablet/nav system of some sort. Any suggestions in that regard?

Thanks in advance guys and I may add more items as I think of them :)

Jerome

Man you're going to be super uncomfortable at 6'4". I wouldn't do it if I were you. I'd say 6'0" is the hard cutoff for being comfortable for extended periods in this car, 5'10" in the passenger seat. It's significantly less interior room than a modern Vette or Porsche.

Otherwise the car is very reliable and cost of ownership is very low, mainly because you can drive it and it doesn't lose value. I'm considering replacing it with a '15 M5 and am calculating a roughly $18k extra in cost of ownership over the next 5 yrs compared to if I just kept driving the NSX.

Last edited:
At 6' 2'' i have no problem in my 95..Some guys shave the seats and i believe the coupes pre 95 have a little more head room, i'd say test drive one for sale and i bet you'd go for it..

I guess we have different definitions of comfortable, because if my head or hair brushes up against the headliner that's technically uncomfortable for me. I guess you can pull it off if you're willing to slouch a whole lot.

Depends on the whole long legs versus long back thing. My son is 6' 2" and fits in the drivers side with the seat all the way back. Head not hitting; but, hair brushing the liner. Definitely no hat. I think 6'4" is going to be a problem. You definitely need to arrange a test fit before pursuing the purchase option.

If commuter car means stop and go urban traffic, the NSX kind of sucks at that activity. First, even with the OEM clutch, it has a relatively narrow friction point which makes smooth take offs from a stop a bit of a challenge. Smooth take offs from a stop going up an incline are even more interesting / frustrating. My observation is that some owners seem to deal with the narrow friction point by revving the engine high so it doesn't stall and then slipping the clutch. Probably explains the people who complain about needing a new clutch at 30 - 40 k miles. The NSX also has some built in snatch in the drivetrain which makes the speed up - slow down - speed up thing tedious. Outward visibility in the NSX is excellent; but, its also excellent on a Go Kart. However, when you are sitting with your butt about 8" off the ground and surrounded by SUVs, that visibility is restricted to reading the tire size on the Tahoe that is in the lane next to you. If you want to experience anxiety, try driving an NSX out of a narrow alley on to a busy street with an SUV parked on either side of the alley entrance. Might as well do it with your eyes closed. The NSX can do the urban commuter thing; but, it is a poor choice for that activity.

The NSX is a Honda and comes with typical Honda reliability. It has some minor issues (slow windows) and potentially emerging issues with ageing electronics (climate control units, SRS, stereo system, EPS controller and yet to be discovered stuff). What is not typical Honda is the cost of maintenance, the ability to find a competent service technician and the cost of the spare parts. If you buy the car in 5 years, the newest NSX you can buy will be 18 years old and the oldest will be 34 years. It would be unreasonable to expect that those cars will not be requiring elevated levels of maintenance. The NSX's production numbers are miniscule, even by Ferrari standards. Production in the final years was way below 1000 per year. As a result, there is an exceedingly limited aftermarket supply for parts and the supply of parts from Honda is already starting to dry up. Sourcing typical maintenance stuff probably won't be a problem. However, less typical stuff such a transmission and engine parts and suspension components will likely be increasing in cost because of rarity and the down time will likely increase as you wait to source those less common parts. Finally, being 6'4" and if you do your own maintenance, that maintenance is going to be a literal pain in the back unless you have a hoist. The NSX is a long way down when you are 6'4"!

I love (OK - really like) my NSX. I have had it for 7 years and feel no particular urge to move on. However, its more of a hobby, not a primary use vehicle. I am also at a point where I don't really have to worry about the potentially escalating cost of ownership. I would also never purchase it with the view that I want it to be anything more than a really infrequent commuter on a perfect sunny day.

Last edited:
I too am 6'2" (but on the thin side) and found I have no issue with room. I just drove my car 1750 miles over two days and found the car extremely comfortable.... actually could have driven another 800 miles the third day and would have loved it. These cars are just so much fun!

Some really great, honest advice guys, thanks so much for that.

I'm glad a lot of my thoughts are echoed in here (so far). I'll have to wait until one pops up for sale in the area and see if I fit comfortably. I wouldn't want to trim the seats down. I'm thinking I'll have to give up my dream car and find another one, but we'll see how the test drive goes.

I love driving stick shift and stop and go traffic won't be a huge problem, more of a nuisance for my commute. My commute is more of a sort of windy road that leads to NW PDX, I usually miss a bit of the bad traffic as I get into the office around 7:30am and Portland is nothing like Seattle, San Fran, Chicago which I've had the 'pleasure(?)' of sitting in during rush hour, haha.

If I don't get an NSX, I'll have to look for another car with a standard transmission. At that point, something more modern and sporty, maybe a 911 or something *shrug*

Thanks again guys!

Jerome

Some really great, honest advice guys, thanks so much for that.

I'm glad a lot of my thoughts are echoed in here (so far). I'll have to wait until one pops up for sale in the area and see if I fit comfortably. I wouldn't want to trim the seats down. I'm thinking I'll have to give up my dream car and find another one, but we'll see how the test drive goes.

I love driving stick shift and stop and go traffic won't be a huge problem, more of a nuisance for my commute. My commute is more of a sort of windy road that leads to NW PDX, I usually miss a bit of the bad traffic as I get into the office around 7:30am and Portland is nothing like Seattle, San Fran, Chicago which I've had the 'pleasure(?)' of sitting in during rush hour, haha.

If I don't get an NSX, I'll have to look for another car with a standard transmission. At that point, something more modern and sporty, maybe a 911 or something *shrug*

Thanks again guys!

Jerome

Its funny you say that none pops up for sale in your neck of the woods. Two recent one I looked at purchasing and ended up with one are from the PDX/SEA area. Are you looking for a particular color combo/price range?

Its funny you say that none pops up for sale in your neck of the woods. Two recent one I looked at purchasing and ended up with one are from the PDX/SEA area. Are you looking for a particular color combo/price range?

The color doesn't matter much, I'm looking for a '94 or newer to skip any risk with that snap ring issue. Plus I like the minor changes to the exterior more. Ideally a '97 + would be ideal with a 6 speed, but thats a nice to have thing and those are out of my price range anyway. I've got two small kids atm, so finding time to drive 'wherever' to test drive one has been hard. That should change in a few years when I get more serious about finding one (and, coincidentally, when there's no more daycare costs, lol).

Jerome

The color doesn't matter much, I'm looking for a '94 or newer to skip any risk with that snap ring issue. Plus I like the minor changes to the exterior more. Ideally a '97 + would be ideal with a 6 speed, but thats a nice to have thing and those are out of my price range anyway. I've got two small kids atm, so finding time to drive 'wherever' to test drive one has been hard. That should change in a few years when I get more serious about finding one (and, coincidentally, when there's no more daycare costs, lol).

Jerome
Good luck with your search Jerome! No more daycare cost is a breath of fresh air for sure. Hope you will be able to get into your dream car soon.

IMO the NSX is not a commuter car. Sure guys DD them, but this is a car that wants open road, canyons and lots of revs. Grinding gears in bumper to bumper traffic is going to become old in a hurry (again my opinion). In addition you have a car that is becoming more expensive to maintain and repair (see comments by [MENTION=26435]Old Guy[/MENTION]) and DD'ing puts your car in an increasing risk of accident. Price out the cost of a OEM front or rear fender and you'll see what I mean. I've already run into parts availability issues with many basic parts that are NLA in the US. I've been fortunate to be able to source them from Japan, but 5 years from now who knows if they will even be available there. I am already starting to stockpile certain NLA parts that are still available in Japan.

At the rate at which used 2017 NSX prices are falling, you might be able to pickup one in 5 years for a decent price. This is a car I might DD if I had to DD an NSX. In all practicality, I'd probably go with something closer to a BMW M4 or an AMG E63 if I wanted a high performance seat. No matter what you do start saving now.

BTW - I live in the Portland area and traffic is shit and getting worse by the day. 5 years from now we'll be like Seattle is today.

Last edited:
IMO the NSX is not a commuter car. Sure guys DD them, but this is a car that wants open road, canyons and lots of revs. Grinding gears in bumper to bumper traffic is going to become old in a hurry (again my opinion). In addition you have a car that is becoming more expensive to maintain and repair (see comments by @Old Guy) and DD'ing puts your car in an increasing risk of accident. Price out the cost of a OEM front or rear fender and you'll see what I mean. I've already run into parts availability issues with many basic parts that are NLA in the US. I've been fortunate to be able to source them from Japan, but 5 years from now who knows if they will even be available there. I am already starting to stockpile certain NLA parts that are still available in Japan.

What parts do you feel are the most important ones to get before they are gone?

What parts do you feel are the most important ones to get before they are gone?

I'm not sure one part is more important than another, however I'd be looking at the mechanical stuff that isn't available on a re-manufactured basis. One example are the spool valves and solenoids. Neither are available in the US (as far as my research tells me), but still available via Japan markets (i.e. www.amayama.com). I don't know how often the solenoid fails, but with a diminishing supply chain you may be forced to go used (eBay) if you don't have a new spare on the shelf.

While injectors are available through various re-manufacturers, I personally wouldn't want them. OEM injectors are NLA here, but available via Japan markets.

So I guess it is a matter of preference whether you want OEM or re manufactured parts on your car. For certain parts I am a little OCD and want OEM. Other parts such as starter or alternator, there are rebuilt Denso units available.

Scan the online parts catalogs like www.acurapartsforless.com and see what is NLA, then decide if it is worthwhile sourcing an OEM part. I am sure everyone has an opinion on this and really comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:
I'm not sure one part is more important than another, however I'd be looking at the mechanical stuff that isn't available on a re-manufactured basis. One example are the spool valves and solenoids. Neither are available in the US (as far as my research tells me), but still available via Japan markets (i.e. www.amayama.com). I don't know how often the solenoid fails, but with a diminishing supply chain you may be forced to go used (eBay) if you don't have a new spare on the shelf.

While injectors are available through various re-manufacturers, I personally wouldn't want them. OEM injectors are NLA here, but available via Japan markets.

So I guess it is a matter of preference whether you want OEM or re manufactured parts on your car. For certain parts I am a little OCD and want OEM. Other parts such as starter or alternator, there are rebuilt Denso units available.

Scan the online parts catalogs like www.acurapartsforless.com and see what is NLA, then decide if it is worthwhile sourcing an OEM part. I am sure everyone has an opinion on this and really comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for your insight!

Can I ask a favor of someone? Would someone measure the distance from the absolute lowest part of the seat to the roof for me? I want to compare it to where my seat is now in my Civic. Many thanks in advance.

Jerome

I got 36" in my seating position from the very back of the seat bottom (lowest point) to the ceiling. I'm 5'10" and my preferred driving position has the seat a few inches in front of full back. Also know that you get less headroom the farther back you put the seat due to the sloping roofline. That's why I feel more cramped while riding in the passenger seat since the seat's farther back to make up for the smaller footwell.

Last edited:
I got 36" in my seating position from the very back of the seat bottom (lowest point) to the ceiling. I'm 5'10" and my preferred driving position has the seat a few inches in front of full back. Also know that you get less headroom the farther back you put the seat due to the sloping roofline. That's why I feel more cramped while riding in the passenger seat since the seat's farther back to make up for the smaller footwell.

Thanks for that. Is that with the seat at it's lowest position, closest to the ground too?

Jerome

the nsx seats only move for and aft and the back reclines

Well, its gonna be super close. So close that I still need to wait for a local one to be for sale and get in a test drive. My Civic is at 38" from the lowest part of the seat to the roof and I've got a couple inches headroom in between. I'd also need to consider traffic lights that are way up there, lol. Thanks again for the info guys, greatly appreciated!

Jerome

I'm 6'5" and fit. I did purchase the Dali seat cushion that buys some headroom. Dali is out of business, but you may be able to find a used one, a car with this already installed or you could have a similar cushion made. I've been in an NSX for 14yrs (a 95 and then a 2000). Until 8 months ago it was my only car. You can DD, but as others note, stop and go can be a challenge. Especially with a heavier clutch or light fly wheel. Yes, it will be expensive if you get hit, but you'll likely hit your deductible in any sort of notable crash in any new car.

Repairs have been very few and far between. That being said, some parts can be very expensive while others really aren't that bad.

I say that if its something you know you want and you can find one you like, go for it. Life is too short and you can experience the magic of driving a car that while far from the fastest thing out there, is pure joy to drive.

I'm 6'5" and fit. I did purchase the Dali seat cushion that buys some headroom. Dali is out of business, but you may be able to find a used one, a car with this already installed or you could have a similar cushion made. I've been in an NSX for 14yrs (a 95 and then a 2000). Until 8 months ago it was my only car. You can DD, but as others note, stop and go can be a challenge. Especially with a heavier clutch or light fly wheel. Yes, it will be expensive if you get hit, but you'll likely hit your deductible in any sort of notable crash in any new car.

Repairs have been very few and far between. That being said, some parts can be very expensive while others really aren't that bad.

I say that if its something you know you want and you can find one you like, go for it. Life is too short and you can experience the magic of driving a car that while far from the fastest thing out there, is pure joy to drive.

That is good news, both that you fit and that I can replace the seat cushion. That never crossed my mind, great idea man. My commute isn't stop and go. The road I take has one downhill section that is stop and go, but I could just cruise down it in neutral, seriously. Before that point of my commute the road is soo great to drive; twisty and wooded area. If I was in stop and go traffic I'd never even consider a standard transmission to begin with. I was thinking of selling my '08 Civic, but I'd only get like 5-6k for it and less when I'm ready to buy, but I'll keep it as a backup and get her up to temp from time to time.

Jerome

I daily drive my 92 5 speed in NorCal Bay Area traffic. It’s not as nice as my wife’s car’s radar stop and go cruise, sure, but when the traffic opens up for a half mile and I can drop it into second gear and goose it it’s TOTALLY worth it.

In a pinch if the car goes down I can bicycle to work so maybe I have a safety net. Still, I thoroughly recommend daily driving this car.

Is it more expensive to maintain than a new civic would be? Yes. Is it more expensive to maintain than a new s4? I doubt it. Totally worth it, again.

I am on my third NSX in roughly 20 + years, and if you are going to commute in one, don't be a cheap azz when it comes to maintenance. People always say, "Yeah, I know. I will do all of the maintenance," but then when it comes time to pony up and pay for it they are the same people saying, "How far beyond the recommended time or mileage can I go before paying $2,000 to do the timing belt / water pump / accessory belt service? The belt looks fine to me". Or they drag out oil changes, or skip doing transmission and brake fluid flushes. Or they buy cheap parts off of the Internet instead of proper quality or OEM parts. That is when stuff starts piling up.

My 1994 NSX has around 228,768 miles on it now, and I just now replaced the original clutch, so I do not beat on the car. It is a daily driver (and has been for over 15 years) and it sees lots of track days, but it is not beat on at all. I only tell you this because even with regular maintenance, and OEM parts for almost everything, I still just spent a pile of money doing and engine and transmission refresh. So this matters if you plan to buy a higher mileage car and make it even more high mileage. The person before you probably did not spend all of the money they should have to maintain it. However, as opposed to my other cars, the NSX has been extremely reliable and affordable to maintain. Oil changes are relatively cheap and easy to do at home within 30 minutes. Most other maintenance is affordable, even if done by a professional. However, some parts are becoming harder to come by due to being discontinued or backordered from the dealer. It all becomes relative to how much you will drive it, the conditions you will drive the car in, and how much of your disposable income you are willing to spend on car maintenance.

Let me ask a question. Why do you want to buy an NSX as a commuter car? The reason I ask is to make sure that it meets the requirements of what you are really looking for that could not be satisfied by a normal commuter car. I commute in mine because I enjoy putting miles on NSXs, and it has always been a car I felt comfortable in. So, for me, there was no other car to use for commutes. :)

Good luck in your search!

Back