• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

I got robbed....by the Acura dealer - $93 for 4 gals of coolant

Needed some coolant since I'm doing the TB and WP. Found out that I needed 4 whole gallons.

Guy originally wanted $30.33/gallon. I walked away and he decided to give me a "discount rate" at $22/gal.

This is prob the most I've paid for diluted water.

/rant

it was $28 here. it's about $20 at the honda dealer,and it's the same stuff,that's a little better price,but still too much.

Needed some coolant since I'm doing the TB and WP. Found out that I needed 4 whole gallons.

Guy originally wanted $30.33/gallon. I walked away and he decided to give me a "discount rate" at $22/gal.

This is prob the most I've paid for diluted water.

/rant

Why did you buy it? It's just coolant. Our 20 year old Hondas don't need unicorn pee for coolant.

....................suscribed for unicorn pee..................

My understanding is that Honda coolant is the lowest acidic coolant on the market, it is recommended by almost everyone I talk to. I use it in all my engines (motorcycle, car, truck, whatever).

Why did you buy it? It's just coolant. Our 20 year old Hondas don't need unicorn pee for coolant.

I thought I read somewhere that Honda coolant was needed due to the aluminum components in the cooling system. I don't know how true this is....so I bought it.

I've heard that the Honda coolant really is different from the stuff you get off the shelf at the auto parts store. I insist on it in all my Acuras, not just the NSX.

If they sold it to you for $22/jug, you didn't get robbed; that's about what it goes for.

....................suscribed for unicorn pee..................

unicorn-pee.jpg

^ Yes, that JUST HAPPENED!!

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that Honda coolant was needed due to the aluminum components in the cooling system. I don't know how true this is....so I bought it.

LOL. All kinds of radiators are aluminum, as well as other engine parts. I need to do some research here but this seems counterintuitive.

A company named CCI manufactures Honda/Acura coolant.

The following text is from an email that Honda sent to its dealers.

"Increasingly severe operating conditions and the advent of lower maintenance requirements have resulted in significant changes in the variety and the concentration of additives used in engine coolant. Also, the continual improvements in engine and vehicle design have challenged coolant suppliers to design products that perform well in a more demanding environment.

To meet these needs, Honda engineers have developed a superior, high-quality coolant that has several advantages over the competition.

Some antifreeze, although labeled as safe for aluminum parts, may not be compatible with Acura cooling system components. Extensive research and testing by both Honda R&D and CCI, the manufacturer of the Honda coolant, have proven that the abrasive silicates and/or borates found in most domestic coolants can cause these problems:

- Silicates bond to the surface of the water pump seal and act as an abrasive, causing considerable seal erosion and coolant leakage. In actual tests, the silicated coolant caused early leakage. This leakage increased dramatically until a substantial portion of the coolant had been lost. In contrast, the Honda coolant had almost no leakage through the duration of the test.

- Silicates tend to gel and settle in the coolest parts of the cooling system, causing radiator plugging and overheating.

- Borates cause pitting corrosion on the cylinder head.

- Silicate inhibitors are difficult to stabilize and, therefore, limit coolant shelf life.

Most commercially available coolants were originally designed for cast iron engines. Silicate, an inexpensive additive, was added to coolants to prevent aluminum corrosion, but the long-term durability of the combination was not tested.

In contrast, Honda coolant was designed specifically for aluminum engines. It contains an organic corrosion inhibitor instead of silicate. This superior formula gives these advantages:

- No silicate abrasion of water pump seals. For example, these graphs show the surface roughness of two aluminum water pump seal rings. Seal A, exposed to silicated coolant, shows considerable damage. Seal B, exposed to Honda coolant, displays only minute wear.

- No plugging or overheating caused by silicate gelling.

- Excellent corrosion protection for aluminum components.

- Long-term corrosion protection for other cooling system materials (steel, cast iron, copper, solder, gaskets, seals, and O-rings).

You can find less expensive coolants on the market, but now you can see why genuine Honda coolant is the only coolant approved for Honda and Acura vehicles (it MUST be used for warranty repairs). Honda's non-silicate formula delivers added protection not offered by 95 percent of other brands. Since our customers expect lower maintenance, you're doing them an injustice if you use any other coolant."

Hi,

well... here i CAN'T use Honda coolant... and i say "CAN'T" because it just costs $38 each liter..... yes... it's right.... and i always buy 16L for a complete flush, so it would cost me the total of about $600 in coolant....

so... as much as i like to use OEM, somethings are impossible with Honda Portugal....and have coolant shipped from US must be a shipping cost nightmare...

... off the shelf it is :frown::frown:

Nuno

Wow. Its bout 17 buck per gallon here in CA

I honestly think Zerex G-05 is just as good or better. Both used by BMW/mercedes benz and other top end cars.

All tho I still end up using Honda coolant, but in my other vehicle I go with G-05

Being paranoid and now concerned about my vehicles with aluminum blocks (which is all of them). I ran into my garage and looked under the cars for leaks and noticed iron sleeves laying on the floor. Then I popped the hoods and sure enough the engines were totally dissolved!

Super strange.

Cool, the Benny Hill girl's (well, 70ies) and the master itself. :D

So, the only real advantage of using Honda OEM coolant is that the WP seals last longer. On my last WP the seals were dry BUT the bearing was shot. If it would have leaked to different coolant I would have changed it before it was about to break.

Sigh. Ok -lets just cut to the chase.... What is the applicable ASTM standard? It should say on the bottle. "...meets or exceeds ASTM xxxxx ..."

The dealer email is the marketing tool that dealers use to continue to sell the product at ridiculous prices. The ASTM is what the engineers will use to directly compare the products.

It is coolant, not Kentucky Fried Chicken. No "secret recipe" here.

A company named CCI manufactures Honda/Acura coolant.

The following text is from an email that Honda sent to its dealers.

"Increasingly severe operating conditions and the advent of lower maintenance requirements have resulted in significant changes in the variety and the concentration of additives used in engine coolant. Also, the continual improvements in engine and vehicle design have challenged coolant suppliers to design products that perform well in a more demanding environment.

To meet these needs, Honda engineers have developed a superior, high-quality coolant that has several advantages over the competition.

Some antifreeze, although labeled as safe for aluminum parts, may not be compatible with Acura cooling system components. Extensive research and testing by both Honda R&D and CCI, the manufacturer of the Honda coolant, have proven that the abrasive silicates and/or borates found in most domestic coolants can cause these problems:

- Silicates bond to the surface of the water pump seal and act as an abrasive, causing considerable seal erosion and coolant leakage. In actual tests, the silicated coolant caused early leakage. This leakage increased dramatically until a substantial portion of the coolant had been lost. In contrast, the Honda coolant had almost no leakage through the duration of the test.

- Silicates tend to gel and settle in the coolest parts of the cooling system, causing radiator plugging and overheating.

- Borates cause pitting corrosion on the cylinder head.

- Silicate inhibitors are difficult to stabilize and, therefore, limit coolant shelf life.

Most commercially available coolants were originally designed for cast iron engines. Silicate, an inexpensive additive, was added to coolants to prevent aluminum corrosion, but the long-term durability of the combination was not tested.

In contrast, Honda coolant was designed specifically for aluminum engines. It contains an organic corrosion inhibitor instead of silicate. This superior formula gives these advantages:

- No silicate abrasion of water pump seals. For example, these graphs show the surface roughness of two aluminum water pump seal rings. Seal A, exposed to silicated coolant, shows considerable damage. Seal B, exposed to Honda coolant, displays only minute wear.

- No plugging or overheating caused by silicate gelling.

- Excellent corrosion protection for aluminum components.

- Long-term corrosion protection for other cooling system materials (steel, cast iron, copper, solder, gaskets, seals, and O-rings).

You can find less expensive coolants on the market, but now you can see why genuine Honda coolant is the only coolant approved for Honda and Acura vehicles (it MUST be used for warranty repairs). Honda's non-silicate formula delivers added protection not offered by 95 percent of other brands. Since our customers expect lower maintenance, you're doing them an injustice if you use any other coolant."

Found it online - ASTM D-3306. Exactly the same as Prestone Longlife for example. $10 / gallon.

That took me all of five minutes online. I am sure there are others.

LOL - So yes, you DID get robbed !

"... Don't believe the hype ..."

Sigh. Ok -lets just cut to the chase.... What is the applicable ASTM standard? It should say on the bottle. "...meets or exceeds ASTM xxxxx ..."

The dealer email is the marketing tool that dealers use to continue to sell the product at ridiculous prices. The ASTM is what the engineers will use to directly compare the products.

Last edited:

So Kentucky Fried Chicken is your gold standard? LOL

I've been looking for at prices of both Prestone and the Honda.
I find both locally, not screwing around online, but locally where I actually buy the stuff and find at best $3-5 difference per gallon.

Now needing 4 gallons every 5 or so years comes to a whopping $12-20 dollars for the factory fill. That's about a large 20 piece bucket of KFC which I would never eat in the first place.

I have experienced different brand of coolants jelling when combined, and please note I said different brands not types. Combining different types of antifreeze will almost always make a mess when combined but that is not what we are discussing.
Now for me and my NSX customers the convenience of not keeping distilled water and doing the mixing myself it just makes sense to use the Honda Type 2.
In fact on all cars under 10 years old I use only OEM fluids throughout.

This example given by the OP of course is not under warranty. In fact the concern was not the quality of OEM vs Generic but what he was over charged by the dealer and he was overcharged. That can happen with Prestone too.

This thread has evolved into a OEM vs Generic coolant thread.

Since this is however the forum for the best NSX information and the best practices that one can find outside of the service manual, that is why I feel Hugh's post is so important.

It comes down to this:
Anyone that is doing a service that comes every 5 or more years, wants a OEM, factory fill with the absolutely correct coolant buy and use the Honda Type 2.

If you want to save $12-20 on that once every 5 or so year service buy the Prestone or some other generic brand.

Bear in mind:
It's a hand assembled, 10 bolt main motor made with various types and qualities of metals and the engineers that made it suggest using THEIR coolant. You don't have to listen, you can go to Walmart get a generic brand and while you're at it pop over to the grocery section and grap a couple of frozen pizzas or some frozen fried chicken and party!

Me, LarryB (I checked) and folks like us that stake their name and reputation on your NSX's repair use the Honda Type2.

You decide.

Last edited:
Back