• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I HATE going to the grocery!

I just came back from the grocery. I had to do a little shopping and pick up some things. Prior to going I found I had to psych myself up for the trip. I hate going to the grocery and today's experience was no different...

1. Literally ran into some old guy as I was going down the isle and he walked backward into my cart because he wasn't looking where he was going...and he gave me a dirty look!

2. Had to ask some guy and his wife to move their cart because they parked theirs in the middle of the isle and I couldn't get by while they stood there chatting and and blocking the isle.

3. On several occasions I had to ask people to move their carts because they parked theirs next to another cart and the entire isle was blocked. Why don't they park their cart behind that other cart of further down the isle?

4. At the check out counter, is it really too much to expect that you'll have your check book/debit card/credit card/cash ready when they finish checking out your groceries? Why do you have to wait until everything is totaled before you begin searching for you wallet or purse and then have to fumble through it to find your method of payment? Maybe it's just me. I arrive at the check out stand, give the lady my member card, she swipes it, and begin checking out my groceries. While she is doing that, I swipe my debit card, enter my pin number, indicate I don't want any cash, and when she is finished checking my purchases, voila, it's done.

Also, why don't people return their cart to the cart parking place? They just leave them in the parking lot eager to bounce off some car.

It seems that people put the hands around the handle of that grocery cart and go brain dead.

Is it just me?:confused:

Ha ha.....we should have an "Old Man Ranting" section......... :biggrin:

Just messing with you Doug. I agree with what your saying.....people just seem to be so clueless these days.

BTW - I hope you wore gloves before wrapping your fingers around that cart handle.........there are all sorts of grossness on those things.

And sorry for leaving that cart in your way...... :smile:

Out here in the burbs we have several choices of large, roomy, comfy grocers to choose from. Get out of the city :wink:

Ha ha.....we should have an "Old Man Ranting" section......... :biggrin:

Just messing with you Doug. I agree with what your saying.....people just seem to be so clueless these days.

BTW - I hope you wore gloves before wrapping your fingers around that cart handle.........there are all sorts of grossness on those things.

And sorry for leaving that cart in your way...... :smile:

Roger,

I ALWAYS use those hand wipes before I touch a grocery cart handle. I also use it after I check out after using the ATM check out machine.:eek:

I guess it could be me. My Hoveround is a little bit wider than the standard grocery cart.

We were having a NSX meeting in Raleigh at a large shopping center. We were stand around talking and all of a sudden one of the guys yelled, "Look out!" We looked up and saw a grocery cart pile into the side of a new Jaguar. Big dent in the driver's side door.:frown:

I hear what you are saying , I see it all to often. People don't care and are in their own little world.

However , I find things can be a little different in different areas. I was visiting my mom a few years ago in North Carolina. I took a trip to the local Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. I went into the aisle with the soda to pick up a six pack of Pepsi. There was a woman at the far end of the aisle crouched down looking at product trying to decide what she wanted as her cart was blocking the other side. This was away from where I was standing so it was of no concern to myself. A man came down the aisle with a shopping cart and started in the direction where this woman was crouched down and stopped because the aisle was blocked , the woman could not see him as her back was slightly turned. He waited and waited and waited some more for almost a full minute without saying a word to the woman. Finally , she went to stand up and noticed the gentleman standing there and quickly moved her cart out of the way while excusing herself for blocking the way. The gentleman was not upset and almost apologized for for his presence as he made his way by the woman. This was just amazing to me just how polite both of these people were and how this would be almost unheard of in major urban centers like the east and west coasts where most people are rude and do not care about anyone except themselves.

There are still some good people out there.

I hear what you are saying , I see it all to often. People don't care and are in their own little world.

However , I find things can be a little different in different areas. I was visiting my mom a few years ago in North Carolina. I took a trip to the local Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. I went into the aisle with the soda to pick up a six pack of Pepsi. There was a woman at the far end of the aisle crouched down looking at product trying to decide what she wanted as her cart was blocking the other side. This was away from where I was standing so it was of no concern to myself. A man came down the aisle with a shopping cart and started in the direction where this woman was crouched down and stopped because the aisle was blocked , the woman could not see him as her back was slightly turned. He waited and waited and waited some more for almost a full minute without saying a word to the woman. Finally , she went to stand up and noticed the gentleman standing there and quickly moved her cart out of the way while excusing herself for blocking the way. The gentleman was not upset and almost apologized for for his presence as he made his way by the woman. This was just amazing to me just how polite both of these people were and how this would be almost unheard of in major urban centers like the east and west coasts where most people are rude and do not care about anyone except themselves.

There are still some good people out there.

Craig, I agree with you. I lived in Raleigh for a few years and those people are extremely polite. I guess here in San Francisco we have a tendency to be more isolated and more defensive. When I lived in Raleigh, there was much more of a family oriented environment. I live in a high rise here in San Francisco and there are 100 units in my building. There are only two children that live in the building.

When I first moved to Raleigh and would be driving down the street, I noticed people in their yards would wave to me. It first I wondered if I knew them. Finally I realized that's just what people do there. They just wave to complete strangers. Kind of nice.

When I first moved to Raleigh and would be driving down the street, I noticed people in their yards would wave to me. It first I wondered if I knew them. Finally I realized that's just what people do there. They just wave to complete strangers. Kind of nice.

Thats probably because they were trying to tell you that you left your blinker on.

Craig, I agree with you. I lived in Raleigh for a few years and those people are extremely polite. I guess here in San Francisco we have a tendency to be more isolated and more defensive. When I lived in Raleigh, there was much more of a family oriented environment. I live in a high rise here in San Francisco and there are 100 units in my building. There are only two children that live in the building.

Reminds me of another story , A friend of mine who used to live in Connecticut moved out to Washington state a few years ago. He was out with his wife on the way to run some errands. They get to a four way intersection with no light just stop signs. As he is waiting his turn to proceed he is watching the other cars to move out into the intersection . As he pulls out he sees a guy at one of the other stop signs put his hand out the window presumably to flip him the bird for cutting him off. He pulls out and lays on the horn , flips the guy the bird and screams a slew of profanity at him. After he clears the intersection his wife says " Did you see what that guy did ? " He replied " Yeah , that %#@*! jerk tried to cut me off " his wife informed him that the guy was putting his hand out the window to wave him out into traffic first and was granting him the right of way. Talk about putting your foot in your mouth. :rolleyes:

You are not in Kansas anymore .......LOL :eek:

Come on Doug, the store can't be that busy at 6:00 in the morning. I've heard the restocking crew is just finishing up around that time and the rest of the people are elderly....oh wait. Sorry. :tongue:

Get yourself one of these for the next trip. Could make things interesting.

Attachments

• KangarooCart.jpg
    KangarooCart.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 165
Get yourself one of these for the next trip. Could make things interesting.

OH MY GAWD! I laughed so hard when I saw that!

Nice babes usually hanging around the produce section and the organic aisles.
Careful though: Hippos and Rhinos hang out near baked goods and snack aisles. :confused:
You guys have to lighten up and enjoy the show!

SF...East people are much nicer comparing to Socal. My remedy for grocery, I only shop after 10pm....Safeway opens 24hrs. Sometime, I shop at 2am :cool: Problem solved on my part. Find a grocery supermarket that opens 24hrs or close to it.

SF...East people are much nicer comparing to Socal. My remedy for grocery, I only shop after 10pm....Safeway opens 24hrs. Sometime, I shop at 2am :cool: Problem solved on my part. Find a grocery supermarket that opens 24hrs or close to it.

When Doug shops before 9PM at the Mariner Safeway, he's really shopping for grocery. When Doug shops after 9PM at the Mariner Safeway, he's really shopping for chicks.:biggrin::wink::eek:

At the end of day, he's SHOPPING!!! regardless what he is looking for to fill his cart:tongue:

When Doug shops before 9PM at the Mariner Safeway, he's really shopping for grocery. When Doug shops after 9PM at the Mariner Safeway, he's really shopping for chicks.:biggrin::wink::eek:

Well, I must admit the Safeway at the Marina is a total meat market, and they don't think about groceries. They have actually had wedding there because that's where they first met each other. Go figure...:confused:

You can buy your groceries online with Safeway and they deliver(ala Webvan, loved Webvan before they went under). They even send out e-mail coupons for free delivery or discounts on delivery. They used to have it where if you spent a certain amount delivery was free but I haven't ordered online lately so not sure that is still in effect. If my wife didn't do the grocery shopping for me I'd still be ordering online.

Looks like I found the real reason Doug is going to the grocery store.

http://www.spicejar.org/asiplease/archives/000599.html

SF's Marina Safeway *Is* a Meet Market
The Safeway supermarket in San Francisco's Marina district has had a reputation as a cruising ground for heterosexual singles at least since the days when Armistead Maupin was writing Tales of the City.

Violet Blue decided to check it out. She and a companion trolled three different Safeways, in the Castro, Marina, and "South Beach" (the beach-less area south of Market Street, by China Basin and TPC Park, that was industrial grunge before developers turned it into a yuppie trap).

They struck out in the Castro and in "South Beach." But the Marina Safeway lived up to its reputation:

While not as packed as the Market Street store, this Safeway had the goods and the groceries. The candy looked sweeter. The produce (allegedly the place to meet and be met) all looked so … young and ripe. The bananas looked eager. People were dressed up. And they were eyeing my (ahem) basket. It was eerie how sexually charged the atmosphere was.
Suddenly, we weren't dorks with striped socks and way too many condoms and bananas and tubs of cupcake frosting in our shopping baskets — we were the hunted. When a sexy Asian boy found himself flirting with both Michelle and me, trapped between us in a hot moment of blushing and smiling, I knew the legends were true. People don't go there just to shop for dish soap. Score one for scoring (and Michelle) at the Marina Safeway.

The Marina Safeway is indeed the place to go if you're shopping for a hookup.

You need to get out of that SF. It is a war zone to me. No parking space. too many people. Or do like the above threads recommended- go do your grocery at midnight.

Late/Midnight shopping, here in the east anyway, is not good. Cranky cashiers, dirty winos, almost day old breads, teens stumbling around looking for "munchies", fresh fruit and goods all picked through by grubby hands all day.

Best time? ........ Late weekday mornings after early Yoga and Aerobics classes let out when they are freshly "glowing" and the hubbies are all at work! :biggrin:

Back