• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I have been converted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys....Long story short all I have cared about for the past 7 years is RAW POWER..

I took a stock 2004 Vette from 299 rwhp to 378 rwhp

A stock V6 camaro from 160 rwhp to 220 rwhp

A stock 99 Viper from 410 rwhp to 450 rwhp

And got a 2003 SRT10 to put down 470 rwhp

Thats honestly all I cared about...RWHP and 1/4 mile times....

As I do still somewhat care and still have plans of making my already BBSC'd NSX a lil faster...

Ive been watching all those Japanese Videos ...And little buy little Ive seen how rwhp and straightline performance is such a small peace of the pie..

I just finsished watching a video were a lil 290 HP NSX EASILY over took an early 400 HP Viper and tied the Ferrari F40....Their were no camera tricks. It was simply where the other faster car were slowing down to enter a turn it seemed like the nsx was speeding up...

While it could never match the Viper or F40 from a standstill to 120 mph...When it's exiting the turn at a much higher rate of speed the higher powered cars needed that power just to catch up and be even by 120 mph..

It's just funny to me....I origionally only bought this car because I had wrecked 2 Vipers and my insurance had went to 1000 per month...With my insurance jumping from $400 to $1000 per month I could no longer afford a 50-60K Viper like I paid for my 2003 SRT10..

So I said..HMMM..Whats the koolest car I can get for 30-40K..10-20K cheaper than my Viper to offset the differance...

A built C5Z06 was just to common...A GTS Viper was a koll choice. But they had already bit me twice...Well Ill try out the lil nsx...Theyre slow but I heard they are comfortable and they look pretty kool...

Little did I know that the nsx would change my perception on what a fast car is....When I first dynoed my BBSC and only got 310 rwhp I was very dissapointed with that number compared to my previous cars...

But now I see just how potent an NSX can be on a road course with only 250 rwhp...With my car being a 1991 ( 2995 origional weight)...And 310 rwhp...Well with a good driver she should be a force to wrecken with..

Thank you NSX Prime for showing this old American muscle straightline only guy what real racing is all about

Have you driven a gts and if so how did that compare to your rt-10? I have been considering buying a gts and just wanted your thoughts.

Have you driven a gts and if so how did that compare to your rt-10? I have been considering buying a gts and just wanted your thoughts.

My RT10 was a 99 and has the same 450 HP engine as a 99 GTS

Ill do a quick break down for you

1992-1995 Viper=
-RT10
-3250 pounds
-.55 CD
-400 HP
-( actually dynos 360 rwhp)
-168 mph top speed
-1/4 mile of 13.0 at 111 mph on average

* Even the oldest slowest Vipers were never really slow*

-RT10
-3300 pounds
-.55 drag
-415 HP
-( actually dynos 380 rwhp)
-171 mph top speed
-1/4 mile 12.8 at 113 mph on average

* nice little bump in power to make sure the ZR1 was no challange*

1996-2002
-GTS
-3420 pounds
-.35 CD
-450 HP
-( actually dynos 410 rwhp)
-191 mph top speed
-1/4 mile of 12.2 at 118 mph on average

* This is the car that shocked the world and in 1996 was the fastest production vehicle you could buy period...You also notice that the GTS's improved CD of .35 VS the RT10's .55 made for a much higher top speed*

1997-2002
-RT10
-3380 pounds
.55 CD
-450 HP
-( actually dynos 410 rwhp)
-177 mph top speed
-1/4 mile of 12.1 at 119 mph on average

* Most people dont realize that the 1997 RT10 is just as fast and actually faster than the GTS due to it's 40 pound lighter weight..Then taking off the top to reduce another 30 pounds means that a 1997 RT10 can weigh 70 pounds less than a GTS at the drag strip but still has the same engine ect.....But you notice that the GTS's CD still lets it have quite the top speed advantage over the RT10*

1999-2002
-GTS ACR
-3390 pounds
.34 CD
-460 HP
-( actually dynos 420 rwhp)
-193 mph topspeed
-1/4 mile time of 12.0 at 120 mph on average

* These cars were just point blanck fast...More than a few magazines have ran 11's at 121 mph in them..A few personal owners have ran 11.6 at 122 in them 100% stock*

2003-2006
-SRT10 vert
-3390 pounds
-.39 CD
-510 HP
-( actually dynos 440 rwhp)
--194 mph top speed
-1/4 mile of 12.0 at 120 mph on average

* These cars are GREAT and more refined in every way. The problem is that they made the GTS ACR so fast that a 120 mph trapping SRT10 just wasnt the huge LEAP that Viper guys were looking forward to..Afterall vipers had been touching 120 mph trapps since 1996. So the new 510 HP SRT10 touching 121-122 mph on good runs was just not enough and it's reputation was SEVERELY tarnished in the Viper community

-SRT10 coupe
-3450 pounds
-.35 drag
-510 HP
-( actually dynos 430 rwhp)
-196 mph top speed
-1/4 mile of 12.1 at 119 on average

* This was the straw that broke the Vipers back. The C6Z06 had just arrived and was trapping 124-126 mph at every known venue...The 2006 Viper coupe was 60 pounds heavier than the 2003-2006 Vert and as well the 2006Coupes were plauged by a factory PCM problem that had many of them dynoing in the 420-430 rwhp range VS the SRT10 verts 435-445 rwhp range. The extra weight and less power ment that the C6Z06 fighter was slower than the SRT10 verts by a considerable Margin. In one head to head comparison a 2006 Coupe only trapped 116 mph. A HUGE slap in the face for the Viper community..Unfortunetly it wasnt till a year later that more and more 2006 Coupes were dynoed and found to have 420 rwhp due to the PCM...A quick redlash at a Dealershipwas all it usually took to eliminate the problem and these same cars would dyno 440 PLUS rwhp...But it was too late as the magazines had already posted their numbers*

Guys....Long story short all I have cared about for the past 7 years is RAW POWER.. Thats honestly all I cared about...RWHP and 1/4 mile times....

Quite common within the muscle car culture. Classic symptoms of torqueatosis. The bad news is that it's genetic. The good news is that it is treatable over time. :wink:

As I do still somewhat care and still have plans of making my already BBSC'd NSX a lil faster... It's just funny to me....I origionally only bought this car because I had wrecked 2 Vipers and my insurance had went to 1000 per month...With my insurance jumping from $400 to $1000 per month I could no longer afford a 50-60K Viper like I paid for my 2003 SRT10..

All of the cars you had were just fine. You don't need to spend anymore money building a kooler / faster road car. What you desperately need to do is learn how to drive the one you already have. Look. You've put a crap ton of money into everything but yourself the last few years. Cars you get in and out of. Driving skills you can take with you everywhere.

Let me say- if you think that BMI video with the factory test drivers was ugly.... just wait until you get behind the wheel at a road course for your first track day. :cool: :biggrin:

I have been converted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. I'm not sold yet. This is like drugs. Recognition is easy, the hard part is to actually change your pattern. My 0.2- Cancel the policy. You are just throwing 12 grand a year down the drain. With the monthly savings you could easily buy a cheap, practical, insurable daily driver... plus have plenty for a trailer and to put toward seat-time improving your skills on-track. It will also be a lot safer/cheaper than another line on the sig.

I did a few road course days in my 2004 C5 and loved it...That track permamently closed down and I did a SCCA event in my 99 RT10 Viper and did HORRIBLY..I had all but given up..

Hawaii is very limited but I will give another go at SCCA

John...You got any pics of your nsx. I like it

I did a few road course days in my 2004 C5 and loved it...That track permamently closed down and I did a SCCA event in my 99 RT10 Viper and did HORRIBLY..I had all but given up..Hawaii is very limited but I will give another go at SCCA

As I recall from another member, the lender foreclosed on the property that was formally Hawaii Raceway Park in 2006. While their is still an effort to save it, the reality is that given the value of the property out your way their has been immense pressure from developers. While from what little I know it sounds like the prospects of any new investment are dim- as a side note I would encourage you to get involved in your region in anyway you can and take that fight.

Also, it's not just your area. I believe that the reality is that saving race tracks (particularly goverment owned) has become a common fight just about everywhere. A generation of racers is soon to retire, and the next generation of enthusiasts will need to step up and take the reigns and be willing to put up a hell of a fight to save these important assets for the next forty years. Cultural, economic, and environmental concerns are issues that didn't exist in the past. Many road courses are going way side if nothing more than due to apathy in many regions. :frown:

That said, road race enthusiasts are a resilient breed that can do the most with the least. The best I can offer is to keep up with fellow local enthusiasts, maybe give whatever event comes up a go now that you have the NSX. Keep abreast of what road race enthusiasts in your area are doing- maybe you will find new opportunities you didn't know existed. All you are after is a safe area / opporunity to explore the limits of your new machine... and everyone should be entitled to that.

Lastly, don't let any one day get you down. For most mortals, it will take more than a day to settle in and feel comphy with new hardware. Some of the vehicles you've had can and are a handful. Still, no one succeeds at anything by giving up the first time they have a bad day.

John...You got any pics of your nsx. I like it

Sure. I can send you a copy of Loud Pedal Magazine... great SCCA coverage of podunk region. :wink:

Last edited:
I miss the torque on my Vipers. I have a close-to-stock NSX and will be looking at a turbo package in the future.

My first Viper was a Gen I RT (93). My second and third were Gen IIs (97GTS then 00GTS). I prefer the lines of the GTS over the RT. I couldn't stand the look of the Gen IIIs so I haven't gone back into the Viper-fold.

I love the NSX. The price was too good to pass up, maintenance is cheap (relative term, I know) and it's a head turner (I would rate it equal to a Ferrari 355).

While I initially bought the car for the price, it has seriously grown on me (but I still have torque-itis).

Steve

I miss the torque on my Vipers.

I understand. I traded in a C5. Of course, who need torque when you can have VTEC!?!? I used to get asked all the time at the pump:

High on MJ: "Does this thing have VTEC?" :cool:
John: "Yes it does" :wink:
High on MJ: "That's so awesome. My EG pulls sooo hard in VTEC" :eek:
John: "Really. Mine just makes more noise....." :confused:

:frown:

I miss the torque on my Vipers. I have a close-to-stock NSX and will be looking at a turbo package in the future.

My first Viper was a Gen I RT (93). My second and third were Gen IIs (97GTS then 00GTS). I prefer the lines of the GTS over the RT. I couldn't stand the look of the Gen IIIs so I haven't gone back into the Viper-fold.

I love the NSX. The price was too good to pass up, maintenance is cheap (relative term, I know) and it's a head turner (I would rate it equal to a Ferrari 355).

While I initially bought the car for the price, it has seriously grown on me (but I still have torque-itis).

Steve

I dont miss the tourque to much at all....Ive been driving a lightly modded LS1 camaro for the past two weeks while my nsx is having some things done..

That camaro with its 370 HP and 380 tq bucks so much at low speeds and seems like Im trying to drag race when Im just leaving a stop light. It remeinded me of just how much I hated that about my vipers...

My nsx feels like a regularcar till iwant to get on it and at 5K rpms Vtech and the boost kick in and it's a totally differant car and as fast as my stock 99 450 HP Viper was..But it's only fast when i want it to be..

With the Vipers their is no such option..Even at 2000 rpm's your pushing over 300 tourque

Back