I just had an epiphany...wrist watches are obsolete

If I was buying stock in watches I'd SELL.

I didn't really think about why I don't wear a watch anymore until tonight....and it's simple. There's no need to.

If you carry a cell phone, you know the time. (period). 99% of us have cell phones....why check your watch?

The cell phone is the new "pocket watch". Wrist watches are for show now...much as pocket watches became "show" when wrist watches came onto the scene.

If that isn't enough, you have your car, your TV, your local bank, etc etc all showing the correct time. Your watch is the LEAST accurate time instrument out there!!! (Unless it's getting that radio signal from CO)

How ironic that the old TV shows/movies showed people talking INTO their watches. They never realized that the future would have walkie talkie's that could tell time. lol

Seriously...just as manual transmissions are giving way to paddle shifters...our kids are going to LAUGH that we wore little clocks on our wrists.

Yes...epiphany.

It is true. I only recently started wearing a watch and I only do it as a fashion accessory. It is more convenient than pulling my phone out of my pocket though. Every time daylight savings time comes or goes I have to change the time on like 8 watches.

+1 with both your comments..

Even when i wear my watch, it's a habit to pull out my cell phone to check the time. I only wear watches as a fashion accessory when needed.

BTW, Casio GSHOCK watches, some of them receive atomic signals that'll calibrate their time accordingly..

So you stop wearing a watch because a little kid made fun of you?

Just like driving a car, you can have a beater, or travel in style.

If you do own some nice watches, it is a piece of jewelry, a symbol which reflects who you are (at least how people view you as).

If you walk into Norsdrom, a high line car dealership, or a nice restaurant and have a Rolex Yacht Master on you wrist, you'll be surprise how much nicer people will treat you just from the stereotyping.

Watches will never go away. There is a good reason why Rolex can't even meet the consumer demand.

I don't carry a phone. I have one and as a routine do not carry it.
Most of the time it is in my car and not turned on.
IMO the sensory input and intrusion of modern electronic devices ie., phones, radio, TV, internet etc.,are things that should be used in moderation.

I guess I really don't need a watch though I wear a $20 plastic Casio and have it mostly to know the date which I forget shortly after checking it.:biggrin:

You may be correct. They are becoming obsolete, just like wires will be eventually.

If you walk into Norsdrom, a high line car dealership, or a nice restaurant and have a Rolex Yacht Master on you wrist, you'll be surprise how much nicer people will treat you just from the stereotyping.

Just more stereotyping.

First thing I did when I retired was to stop wearing my watch.:biggrin:

I never did wear a watch in the first place.

same here.....
i can't stand them - they are annoying..... even though they are "obsolete", a lot of people wear them as jewelry.

but then you have those watches that tell your heart rate, act as a GPS, even tell your altitude (so you can jump out of a plane at moment's notice?:tongue: )

I haven't worn a watch since I got a cell phone that was reasonable to carry in my pocket - so maybe 8 years now. I never have been a bling person so no jewelry for me has always been fine. I get kind of a kick out of the guys sporting the gigantic watches on their wrists. But that's OK too.

i stopped wearing a watch months ago. (forking the thread a bit) i have a treo that i carry only when i'm "going mobile" (car or bike) and only turn on for outbound calls.

I still wear a watch and use it to tell time (:eek:). I find it easier to lift my wrist than to pull out my phone each time that I need to know the time.

But a nice watch compliments a good suit. Classic style. No iPhone, Blackberry or the like will ever do the same.

That said, I don't wear watches - not because I have a phone, but because I don't like wrist tans, the accompanying wrist funk, and I like my arms to weigh relatively even. (^_^)

I with DrVolkl. I stopped wearing my watch about 4 months ago. I have about 10 and rather than get a new band to wear any of them, I just decided to use my cell as timepiece.

Its funny to watch the post race conference for the F1 boys. The drivers always seem to be wearing the biggest dial watch (almost the size of Flavor Flav's) and make sure it's seen during the interviews.

Of course Lou Pinella always wears a watch in the dugout. It must be an alarm as well; telling him when it is time to blow a gasket and hurl a base!

Miner

I have never worn a watch and if you can believe this one I don't use an alarm clock to get to work,My internal clock gets me up just at the right time each morning,no joke!:cool:

I have never worn a watch and if you can believe this one I don't use an alarm clock to get to work,My internal clock gets me up just at the right time each morning,no joke!:cool:

sub concious mind FTW, i can usualy wake up say 3 or 4 minutes before the alarm clock if i know its a important morning, but i still set the alarm to be safe, and the cell phone alarm

I dont own a watch, I received a few as gifts and always returned them. Im not a fan of jewelry in general, no rings or anything. I always just check my phone, and besides...who cares what time it is anyways? :biggrin:

Between the clock on my phone, the one in my car, and the one on my computer -- and I'm usually in front of one of those three devices -- I never have the need for a wristwatch. Haven't worn one for many, many years.

If I was buying stock in watches I'd SELL.

I didn't really think about why I don't wear a watch anymore until tonight....and it's simple. There's no need to.

If you carry a cell phone, you know the time. (period). 99% of us have cell phones....why check your watch?

The cell phone is the new "pocket watch". Wrist watches are for show now...much as pocket watches became "show" when wrist watches came onto the scene.

100% true. I have a mechanical/automatic watch that will lose the time if I don't wear it every day. So I would guess 90% of the time I just leave the time wrong on it. I wear it just for show. I never use it for the time anymore.

I, too, had that same epiphany about a couple years ago. The who cares I'm not on anyones time frame, just in cruise.

Then I had an another epiphany.... When you start to think of legacy sure you can pass on a house, a car, tools, pictures, but what else besides these things can you pass on to your son? That's where the whole romance of wristwatches became almost an obsession with me. Sure you can pass on pieces that were never worn, maybe on special occasions, but what about that watch you wore when you met your wife, made your first million, lost your parents. We all know time is the most precious commodity, kinda like the nsx... I would never sell it, I am just going to give it to my son (and tell him it help daddy pick up mommy haha/jk) So if you really think about it what do you have that is there to experience your life? Cell phone is only good for about a year, wallet, keys?

Wristwatches are like the Man's wedding ring past down generations but that's just me.

penny for your thoughts.

I, too, had that same epiphany about a couple years ago. The who cares I'm not on anyones time frame, just in cruise.

Then I had an another epiphany.... When you start to think of legacy sure you can pass on a house, a car, tools, pictures, but what else besides these things can you pass on to your son? That's where the whole romance of wristwatches became almost an obsession with me. Sure you can pass on pieces that were never worn, maybe on special occasions, but what about that watch you wore when you met your wife, made your first million, lost your parents. We all know time is the most precious commodity, kinda like the nsx... I would never sell it, I am just going to give it to my son (and tell him it help daddy pick up mommy haha/jk) So if you really think about it what do you have that is there to experience your life? Cell phone is only good for about a year, wallet, keys?

Wristwatches are like the Man's wedding ring past down generations but that's just me.

penny for your thoughts.

+1 Well put :cool:

penny for your thoughts.
i reached this conclusion about 10 years ago, so since we have 2 boys, i inserted a clause in my will that my estate will buy a rolex that matches the one i have and the boys will draw straws as to who gets my actual watch and the new one goes to the other son. (i bought my watch to wear as a reminder of where i came from. switzerland... just kidding ;)

mine's tucked away and the clause is there for the boys.

Back