• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I love the NSX but starting to like the cayman

The Cayman S is a great car and in a few ways better than the NSX. I prefer the NSX for its exotic look and relative rarity. You really cannot go wrong with either one.
Steve

The Cayman S is very similar to the NSX...

Pro's

Much better headroom, more space, not so cramped
Handles just as well, possibly better
Same acceleration, equal overall performance
Great motor, exhaust noise!
Factory Navigation is pretty good
Seats are very comfy
Great gearbox
Clutch fells nice and firm, I kinda like that!
Its a Porsche has has classic timeless lines!

Con's

Seems to eat gas
Left me stranded once with an intermittant starting issue
I get nervous when an abormal new sound, or a ticking noise seems to pop up...and it does!
NSX looks much more exotic!

The Cayman is a great car. The new Cayman S with PDK should be a great ride. I will always agree the the NSX is truly exotic looking vehicle, but after a while performance needs to a consideration also. The Porsche is better car technologcally.

I never got my hands on a Cayman but I did drive a 911 once. The 911 was a really nice car all around. I probably would still choose the NSX again and again for many reasons.

I never got my hands on a Cayman but I did drive a 911 once. The 911 was a really nice car all around. I probably would still choose the NSX again and again for many reasons.

I prefer the Cayman S or regular RWD 911's, I feel more confident in the Cayman when I having fun. Plus it's just 2 of us and dont need back seats, or what Porsche considers back seats!

I agree the NSX is an exotic, and in and of its self is a piece of automobile history.

I would be happy with any color NSX, I was just saying if I got a color i prefer like GPW, it would be a bidding war possibly due to the rarity.

Never drove an NSX just know allot about them, kind of an obsession since 1994. Maybe I can meet up in Sacramento and let someone drive my integra for a ride in their NSX? I am sure you would have a blast!

It seems clear to me if I can keep my 1992 running in 2010 like it did in 1994 when my wife purchased it, an NSX could as well and be a good choice for me. I have years of Acura ownership experience.

I also like originality, and the NSX is just that!

Thanks allot guys back to wanting my dream car again I thought the curse was lifted LOL.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Shouldn't it be Nsx or 911? Or s2000 and cayman?

I like the s2000 but not to keen on convertibles
(fair skin) t-top I am ok with coupe even better.

But as far as a comparison I would say boxter or s2000 even though a boxter and cayman are very similar.

Last edited:
I love them Both. My NSX has 220,000 miles on it. I drove across the country with no problems. I wouldn't think twice about driving it cross country again. I think it is a better looking car than the cayman S.

The Cayman S is the first Porsche that got my attention. I do like it's apperance better than any Porsche to date. I also love the longitudinally mounted mid engine, I drove one and loved the way it handled. I would concider an 07 Certified Pre-Owned (CPO). I was amazed at the PDK DFI 2010 Cayman S. Handling is incredible and the Transmision is amazing. PDK takes some fun away from driving, but is the fastest way around the track. It does not misshift. The DFI engine has 34? fewer parts. I like that.
I would venture to say, just because of the age difference between the two cars, the Cayman is going to be less maintenance, at least initally.
Ironicly, I bought a Cayenne S. As far as trucks go, this is the best handling one I have driven. Maintenance is conciderably higher than a suburban, but it trully is a Sport Utility Vehicle.

Bottom line for me as a daily driver, would I trade my NSX for a Cayman S? Yes. I think of the Cayman S as a daily driver, whereas the NSX is a good weather, careful where you go, piece of art, that also handles well.

John

Picked up an s2000 today I enjoyed the car allot. It will be a great car to drive with less worries of maintenance costs. The high reving engine is something I really love about the sporty hondas.

Thanks for all the posts!

Welcome to the discontinued Honda sports car club.

Now they only make "sporty" cars and vans.:biggrin:

Welcome to the discontinued Honda sports car club.

Now they only make "sporty" cars and vans.:biggrin:

That's funny Joe, sad but funny! So NSXSacto forgot the NSX and went to the S2000 - damn - he waisted alot of time figuring that one out. I'll say this - there is no way I'd trade my NSX for an S2000 - I've driven both and if you think the NSX is cramped - well wait till you get in and out of the S2000 for a while. It's a neat little car and the top goes down but it's not the car the NSX is.

It's funny but so many folks get this idea that the NSX is expensive to maintain - I don't understand that particularly. It's no more expensive than the S2000 or any other car and it is definitely way less expensive than a Cayman S unless you get the new DFI model with no lay shaft/intermediate shaft or RMS problems. If you get an earlier car - when you hear one of those little ticks or noises you start seeing little dollar bills with wings on them flying out the window. I don't feel that way with my NSX. I've had Porsches and I love em - but man you better have plenty of bucks to fix em and maintain em cause they will cost you. Hard to find a good independant for the newer model 911/Cayman/Boxsters too - so that leaves you with the dealer - and they are anything but cheap. Get ready to start slapping leather whenever you take one of those guys in.

So I'll stick with my NSX - it's a great car and is a flag ship model for NSX - even though no longer produced it is the only one of it's kind that I fear Japan will ever produce. The LFA and GTR notwithstanding. It is a true exotic and will be a true collectors item in the future. There is no other aging sports car that can be maintained as cheaply as the NSX - none!!! Well the S2000 would fall into that catagory but the NSX is faster and a better car. If you want to stay in the budget dollar catagory - then maybe the S2000 fits the bill - but it is no NSX. I like the S2000 - don't get me wrong but it's too small inside. Take the top down - it's probably fine.

I just can't believe a guy came on prime - put NSX in his handle/name and then ended up with an S2000. You've still got a timing belt in it too you know? Anyway - I hope you have fun and enjoy your S2000 - you can go to their website now....thank you....just kidding but you are not now an NSX wanna be, well at least not for a while, and you don't have one. I wish you luck but if you want to hang out - put S2000 in your handle so no one gets confused. :wink:

. It's no more expensive than the S2000 or any other car and it is definitely way less expensive than a Cayman S unless you get the new DFI model with no lay shaft/intermediate shaft or RMS problems.

This is simply not true. Do I think it is as reliable as an S2000 sure, cost to maintain is not the same though. My GF thought about buying one but the maintenance costs seemed prohibitive as it was going to be her fun car, so she is looking at an S2000 instead.

Clutch for an NSX is around $1400 plus installation
TB/WP = $1500 plus other maintenance done at this interval. Valves, harmonic balancer, plus shield, cam seals and plugs...can easily get to $2K
Hell a CV axle is around $800 for one side.

Not exactly the same price as an S2000, I think NSX owners pay a premium for a few reasons:

1) one because it's an NSX
2) less part interchangeability with other hondas
3) the volume of the NSX is so low compared to other cars so the R&D costs get spread amongst fewer cars, ...just my $.02.

Would I trade my NSX for an S2000, hell no, would I own both, hell yes....might have to boost the S2000 though:biggrin:

Thanks for that CLR1024 - but do you know how much a clutch, tb/wp is for an S2000? I mean how much cheaper can it be.

One other thing that makes the NSX more expensive - it's harder to get to everything! They are a pain in the ass to work on. That's what Eiffel tells me anyway - he's our Atlanta local NSX independant. I'm sure that plays into the general expense.

However, it is still less expensive to maintain than any old Porsche! Or other "exotic". The S2000 is maybe the only exception. As the S2000 gets older - it won't be cheap to maintain either - at least that's my guess - they do have 2 cylinders less too though.

Personally I didn't like the way the S2000 shifter felt. I believe if I was just looking for some convertible fun I might have to look real hard at the Miata! Not as fast as the S2000 but it would surely be as much fun a lot of the time - agree???

Thanks for that CLR1024 - but do you know how much a clutch, tb/wp is for an S2000? I mean how much cheaper can it be.

One other thing that makes the NSX more expensive - it's harder to get to everything! They are a pain in the ass to work on. That's what Eiffel tells me anyway - he's our Atlanta local NSX independant. I'm sure that plays into the general expense.

However, it is still less expensive to maintain than any old Porsche! Or other "exotic". The S2000 is maybe the only exception. As the S2000 gets older - it won't be cheap to maintain either - at least that's my guess - they do have 2 cylinders less too though.

Personally I didn't like the way the S2000 shifter felt. I believe if I was just looking for some convertible fun I might have to look real hard at the Miata! Not as fast as the S2000 but it would surely be as much fun a lot of the time - agree???

My Integra which was DOHC cost me $225 for all belts plus water pump, granted that was a while ago but even if an S2000 is $500 still a lot less than the NSX. The clutch on the integra was $600 installed. Clutch for an S2000 on SOS is $565 for parts, no idea what install costs. I would think any inline four will be cheaper than a V6 for TB/WP. I mean my legend cost me around $700 for TB/WP in comparison at an independant.

Lots of people love the miata for a fun car, I consider the S2000 because I like the looks more, it lacks torque though, which might get old and why I considered putting an S/C on it. One thing I HATE about the S2000 is the digital dash. If I could retro that to analog gauges I would be all over it.

Should add my GF had a miata and loved it. Kind of misses it but I think me having the NSX is steering her towards the S2000.

Well I guess NSXs aren't cheap to maintain - but lets say they are still cheaper than a Cayman - cause if you think getting to stuff on the NSX is hard you just about have to drop the engine for anything major in the Boxter and it's variants - like the Cayman.

Well guess there are cheaper ways to have fun - but not having fun in an exotic. I call it exotic - by todays standards is it as fast as the other exotics on the market - not by a long shot.

You are right CLR...good posts...

My Integra which was DOHC cost me $225 for all belts plus water pump, granted that was a while ago but even if an S2000 is $500 still a lot less than the NSX. The clutch on the integra was $600 installed. Clutch for an S2000 on SOS is $565 for parts, no idea what install costs. I would think any inline four will be cheaper than a V6 for TB/WP. I mean my legend cost me around $700 for TB/WP in comparison at an independant.

Lots of people love the miata for a fun car, I consider the S2000 because I like the looks more, it lacks torque though, which might get old and why I considered putting an S/C on it. One thing I HATE about the S2000 is the digital dash. If I could retro that to analog gauges I would be all over it.

Should add my GF had a miata and loved it. Kind of misses it but I think me having the NSX is steering her towards the S2000.

NSX is a true exotic. S2000 is a starter model........I owned both at the same time. No comparo.

NSX is a true exotic. S2000 is a starter model........I owned both at the same time. No comparo.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I have both and while I prefer the NSX, the S2000 is much more than a "starter" model. The S2000 gives great feedback on the road.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I have both and while I prefer the NSX, the S2000 is much more than a "starter" model. The S2000 gives great feedback on the road.

Totally true. The s2000 is hardly a "starter". It's a totally different car with completely different dynamics. It is a great car in it's own right.

NSX to Cayman is the right compare. They are both midengine, light, etc. 911 isn't the right comparo. It is a different beast altogether (not a good or bad thing - different)

HARD to argue against the Cayman. I found owning a 911 a bit more expensive than the NSX, but much, much easier. What is said here on Prime re: maintenance often doesn't map to reality - it is often idealized or "best case". With the NSX getting anything done on it is an epic project. There are almost no independents (earlier it was mentioned there are tons??? Where ?!). And almost no dealership is trusted and considered "ok". Porsche I was able to go anywhere. There are so many independents its crazy and in a pinch, any dealer can work. I never had any problems at a Porsche dealership. I had more with Acura and GM than I ever did with Porsche or BMW. Your mileage may vary of course.

To get the NSX over the cayman it has to not even be a choice for you. The NSX should be viewed as the classic it is. Comparing classic to new isn't rational. You buy classic from emotion.

Last edited:
Tim,

This isn't to bash the NSX as I am a huge fan, or justify an S2000, it is to question some of your statements.

Assuming you know more about Honda than just the NSX, I am sure you know things that make the S2000 more than a "neat little car". If you didn't know, it is 201 pounds lighter and only 30 HP less than a 1991 NSX (this comes straight from the factory brochures I have). "It produces the highest power output per liter of ANY naturally aspirated engine in the world" again per the dealership brochure. That's not "neat" to me that's damn good engineering! It was produced at the NSX plant as well up to the year 2003.

As far as feeling or being "too small inside". I think Honda's designers made a car that was a great success in its proportions. It shows in sales from the 9 years of production. I have a 2007 mini cooper as well, I am not that big of a dude and enjoy small cars just fine. I also don't need it to be an exotic to have an awesome driving experience in a car. The top down sure is fun too, the NSX-T came out to meet that demand. For me owning a convertible is quite and experience I have never had before, and living in California I plan to take full advantage of it.

The NSX is a better car you say? Are you making this decision for everyone? I say for my case it was not the better car. A 1991 NSX maybe in your opinion, but it is not a fact. All of my research was not a waste of time. I made a well thought out decision.

"Budget dollar category?"

Everyone is on a budget, whether they like it or not. Being an Architect you understand this I am sure. My concern was the availability of parts and costs to repair the aluminum body if in an accident. A 1991 NSX is an 20/21 year old car, car and with that comes challenges. And expenses to keep it maintained and pass smog.

"NSX is faster?"

Faster at what? The argument for the NSX over cars with larger engines i.e. a Viper, is to perform well on the track not just 0-60? If that is what you meant by faster, one can save their money and buy something with a better 0-60 time on the 1/4 mile for a lot less than an NSX. On the track an experienced track driver can kick someone arse in an S2000 over an amateur in an NSX. The driver has a HUGE role in who can run a lap faster.
Sometimes a bigger engine will be a weakness for those that can't control it. I am reminded of the Enzo Ferrari that was destroyed by comedian Eddie Griffin in 2007.

I don't know why it is unbeleivable for me as a fan of the NSX and Honda and other cars to "come on the site" and include NSX in my handle/name? Is there a big deal I, received several compliments on my handle. It doesn't mean I signed a contract and was destined to purchase this car alone? You make it sound like the S2000 is a base civic, when it was created to celebrate the company's 50th anniversary. I didn't END up with it, I chose to purchase it.

"You've still got a timing belt in it too you know?"

(Yes I do I have a 1993 GSR B17A1) thanks for informing me about my car. If you think I purchased or "ENDED UP" with an AP1 and didn't know about it, you are sadly mistaken.

"Anyway - I hope you have fun and enjoy your S2000 - you can go to their website now....thank you....just kidding"

?

"but you are not now an NSX wanna be, well at least not for a while"

do you know my financial situation? Let me know what a while is? You really make some great constructive comments.

", and you don't have one. I wish you luck but if you want to hang out - put S2000 in your handle so no one gets confused."

How about Integra? or Mini? Can I use those too?

I never said it was better than an NSX in general, but I do feel it is a better car for me, and I know me pretty darn well.

Last edited:
3 comments... Congrats... Pics... And +1 to joes comment "welcome to the discontinued Honda sports car club!" lol.. I like that one...

S2k is a great car... A friend of mine has what I think is one of the most insanely modded ones in the Ny/Nj region. That monster eats vipers... I think it's really too scary to sit in :D

Last edited:
I agree Acura refused to work on my Integra because he thought I was a street racer punk when my Integra is a very well taken care of car with great imported wheels and strut bars from Japan.

I wrote the dealership a letter asking why they looked at my car as it was an insect? It is an Acura, stock other than headers, Intake and exhaust Wheels and coilover suspension. I took my Integra to Niello Acura which was the number 1 NSX dealer in the state at the time.

I say my experience at Acura delerships has been 50/50. It varies dealership to dealership.

photo.JPG

these are just from an iphone.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 40
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Back