• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I love the NSX but starting to like the cayman

I understand allot of what is great about owning an NSX, but I have had my 1992 integra GSR 14 or more years. I love driving it, but taking care of a car that old is getting more difficult to justify. Should I be this concerned about getting a 1992 NSX for 35k or more and possibly have the same issues?

The NSX is well made but so is the 1992-1993 integra. Costs of repairs and the overall age are making me think I should be more
Practical
And get a Cayman which is
Mid engine and similar in price to an NSX yet newer.

Should I also be concerned about who is really
Capable of working on and servicing an NSX when Acura decided tonnonlonger make them?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have driven the Cayman S on the track. I liked it and thought this would make a great DD car. Would I give up the NSX for it, no. For a regular Cayman (not the S), not a chance.

BTW: If you are talking a used Cayman, think the NSX service is expensive? Porsche parts are OUTRAGEOUS. As far as the dealer? I would NEVER take my car to the dealer, there are plenty of competent shops to work on NSXs, some that even have MORE experience with them than the Acura dealer.

PS: I would love to have a new Cayman S with the PDK. Would I trade the NSX? No. I would have to have both. :) The NSX gives a very unique driving experience, especially on the track.

Last edited:
I drove the cayman s and it was a nice ride. I am not concerned about the cost of parts but the age of the car and the availability of them. I do not think the zanardi wheels are available. I bought the knob and boot because I had a hunch I couldn't get one in the future and it seems I may have been correct.

If o owned an NSX I wouldn't give it up but not sure I would buy a 1993 for 35-40k when a newer car similar in many ways is the same price.

Thanks for the input!

I drove the cayman s and it was a nice ride. I am not concerned about the cost of parts but the age of the car and the availability of them. I do not think the zanardi wheels are available. I bought the knob and boot because I had a hunch I couldn't get one in the future and it seems I may have been correct.

If o owned an NSX I wouldn't give it up but not sure I would buy a 1993 for 35-40k when a newer car similar in many ways is the same price.

Thanks for the input!

40K will get you a 97-98 .... but if you have concerns, get the Cayman, then who know if in 6 months you'll be somehow looking for an NSX .... or perhaps get the NSX first, and if you are not happy put it for sale, one thing for sure is that getting the NSX first will help you save $$$ in value depreciation ... but make sure you get the 6speed NSX :)

Oscar

There are many newer sports cars that can be purchased for a similar price to an older NSX (Cayman, 370Z, RX-8, etc) but as many here have noted, the driving experience is not as good as the NSX. It is hard to quantify this on a forum and if you haven't you should try to drive a NSX. It will make a lot more sense when you drive it.
Remember, the NSX was more than just normal Honda quality. It retailed for close to $100k and the build quality reflects that. Still, there are always costs associated with buying a 10+ year old car and you need to be ready for that. There are several threads here on Prime that document the common maintenance issues with the car in good detail. If you attend to these issues, the car is pretty much bulletproof.
Parts availability is becoming a more serious issue, but most NSX parts are still available from Honda. Because the NSX was made through 2005, there will be good parts availability for many years to come. However, the off-the-shelf availability is going to decline. Eventually, you'll be stuck with longer wait times because Acura is slowly reducing its stocking of parts, meaning parts will gradually become "special order" items that have to be sourced from Japan. A good present example of this are the 6-speed transmissions. There are no more spares in the US. :eek: This reduced availability also means that parts will gradually become more expensive. But, I doubt the expense will equal Porsche or Ferrari any time soon.

going from an intergra to an NSX is like riding a tricycle all your life then someone gives you a F-14 Tomcat.

but parts for the NSX are way cheaper than the parts for a Porsche.

if the NSX breaks you can get it fixed.

if the Porsche breaks you might get lucky and they actual fix the problem on the 3rd try. or the 3rd time it happens.

would I drive an NSX across country? Yes it will probably not break down.
would I drive a Porsche across country? No it will probably Break down.

should you buy an NSX? Yes.
should you buy a Porsche? No
should you keep you Intergra? Yes

Eesh, shawn. you make some very bold statements in that post.

Being that it is a porsche, I'm willing to say that the creature comforts are probably a little better and thus a better cross country driver/daily driver.

I'd rather keep the miles off the nsx =P

But on topic, basic NSX parts needed to perform maintanence are not that hard to source, nor are they as expensive as a Porsche. Those euros also usually demand 'special maintanence' that can only be done by the dealers... which will usually cost you an arm and a leg. You can find several NSX techs on these boards that know their stuff, do great work, all for a reasonable price.

I don't think that should be an arguement...

and as for paying the money you're thinking about... i hope that 91-93 for 35-40k has some nice mods on it. ;)

I was thinking aboutthe integra drivetrain being similar in quality. ACura really spent money and time developing the 1992-1993 GSR engine And transmission. The body is steel and not hand made but the reliability and engineering is much closer than a tricycle and a tomcat. I do understand your point though the thrill feel and sprit of the NSX is in another League. I was just comparing the fact my integers age concerns me from dropping 30k on a low mile GPW NSX. My integra is white and is almost the little brother to that car.

Thanks for all the replies. Still on the fence. My goal would be find an NSX from an original owner with very low miles and 100% stock. With the few NSXs produced seems 35-40 would be what I should expect to pay.

Props to the Cayman S PDK. I plan to get one for my GF in the future since she gave up the 996 Cab and I got to keep the NSX when times got tight. :redface:

going from an intergra to an NSX is like riding a tricycle all your life then someone gives you a F-14 Tomcat.

if the Porsche breaks you might get lucky and they actual fix the problem on the 3rd try. or the 3rd time it happens.

Hmm... Do you actually own a Cayman or have owned any Porsche to make a comment like this?

The Cayman S is a phenomenal mid-engine sports car. With that said, the NSX is a phenomenal mid-engine sports car that is an important piece of motorsport history, I am not sure I would say as much about the Cayman. The NSX is much more unique, much more rare, and much better looking (IMHO) than the Cayman, if those things matter to you, they mattered very much to me. I'm sure that the NSX has been your dream car as long as it has been mine, so I say buy the NSX with one caveat. You are seeking a one-owner, low-mileage, bone stock GPW, a car that comes along once in a blue moon that isn't easily replaced. If you will be deterred from driving your NSX for fear of decreasing it's value with miles and rock chips, BUY THE PORSCHE, the NSX is way too much fun to drive to be garage jewelry.

Hmm... Do you actually own a Cayman or have owned any Porsche to make a comment like this?

Of course he hasn't. But he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :wink:

IMO, the steering feel in a porsche is better than most cars out there including the NSX

I think if you drive both cars for an extended drive, one should stirr your emotions more than the other

Personally, I would choose the NSX for many reasons even though I am currently driving an 02 911

Your comments are asinine on so many levels;
do you actually have experience ???
You are basically painting a broad stroke across every porsche that they all suck. :rolleyes:

I hope you realize you posted this on an NSX forum and the answers you are getting should be considered as such. All the comments are valid but I think a few of the responses are a bit extreme.

Porsche has had some issues with the boxster platform in the past, but the latest incarnation is really light years ahead of the 90's models and are such that reliability really won't be an issue. You can drive the Cayman cross country just as confidently as you can an NSX. NSX in it's first year also had a few recalls and problems which are well known, same with early year boxster/caymans.

Also comparing motorsport history between Acura and Porsche is a little ridiculous.

As to buying an NSX now, I am in the same boat as you. I am looking for an NSX but it's not because it is the fastest car or the best value, it's because of the fun factor while driving. I will readily admit the NSX is not for everyone, and the best thing you can do is test drive both cars extensively. Best case you can find an owner of both, there are plently of Porsche owner clubs and NSX meets around the country.

Another option on your list for mid engine cars might be the new Evora. To me it is a natural evolution of the formula Acura pursued with the NSX, a mix of refinement and sportiness built for regular use. The Evora specifically benefits from 20 years of automotive progress but to me, that is part of what makes the NSX so appealing.

Hope you find what you are looking for :smile:

this thread can't end until Tbromley has opined......:tongue:

bad analogy, if were talking about going from a GSR to a Veyron or anther SUPER CAR then yes... tricycle to a 18 speed bicycle is more like it

Last edited:
If u drove autowaves 1000hp one it could be like a f-14 tomcat lol. I think porsche looks good, esp the one you are thinking of. I bought nsx for other reasons as for what i paid for this car i found a ferrari 360 and vantage for a few thousand more, porsche less than this and a lotus. Needless to say the nsx has the rep for being the most reliable by far. I get compliments everywhere i go. A porsche to me is like a bmw. Even the m3 is still just a bmw, but there is no just an nsx.

As the saying goes you can get 90 percent of whatever the item is for 10% of the money, the last 10% costs you 90% more. IMO the Cayman is an over priced 350Z.

Your comments are asinine on so many levels;
do you actually have experience ???
You are basically painting a broad stroke across every porsche that they all suck. :rolleyes:

I love my NSX, but not sure if this can be taken seriously....

bad analogy, if were talking about going from a GSR to a Veyron or anther SUPER CAR then yes... tricycle to a 18 speed bicycle is more like it

I was waiting for members with more time/posts than me to say something.

and really, Shawn. It really is okay to not have an opinion about everything. Even if you do, it is not necessarily needed everywhere you go....

no offense. and yes, I'm a noobie, but you're making us look bad. :tongue:

other than that. I think the Cayman S looks pretty sweet. It's the only porsche that I didn't hate on first... till I saw the GT2s and 3s

this thread can't end until Tbromley has opined......:tongue:

Well I wasn't sure if I would post on this ......until Docjohn called me out...:wink: But since my buddy prodded me I guess I'll have to chime in.

First of all Porsches are most definitely more expensive to maintain unless you get a relatively new one. Are Porsches good cars - no - they are great cars - ok. They handle and feel great and the newer Caymans are better than the older ones for sure but definitely better than the Boxster which had issues both 986 and 987 with the RMS and IMS issues. There are fixes for them now - an aftermarket bearing replacement and finally a good RMS that works much better than all the previous parts made to replace them.

Personally I would wait on the latest model of DFI model engines - that have no IMS issues cause they don't have an IMS. Can you drive em across the country - well hell yes! Are you kidding? The RMS and IMS issues are probably exagerated in the last gen Caymans but - still I'd wait but they are great cars and will be pretty maintenance free.

Are they as maintenance free as an NSX - well yes - but if you need someting - I'd rather be fixing an NSX. NSX engines don't blow up unless the TB breaks. Really though I have only driven a Boxster and 911s and 914s. I would love to have a new DFI 911 - age for age - the Porsche will be much more expensive to maintain - lots. If you are comparing a 98 or 99 - but they didn't make the Cayman till later. DIfferent cars - After owning 3 911s - there is no way I would put them above the experience I'm having with the NSX! Drive em both and you tell us!

They are both good cars - the NSX as someone said is a piece of history. The Cayman isn't there yet. Doesn't mean it's not a great car though. The NSX is really easy to maintain - once you get the maintenance up to date - considering the TB/WP/Hoses/Clutch if it needs it, you'll have a car that basically needs fluid changes. The brakes on the NSX are almost indestructable - you replace the rotors when you replace the pads on the Cayman for example somewhere around 50k miles. I'm not sure when my pads will ever wear out and I have 47k on mine now.

They are both great cars but the NSX will last longer and feel tighter longer and hold it's value a lot longer - for those reasons I'd take the NSX.

How's that DocJ :smile:

ahhhh thread can now close.......:wink:

I
Also comparing motorsport history between Acura and Porsche is a little ridiculous.

Porsche "PWNS" Honda in racing History, but still Honda managed to achieve some amazing stuff while "The power of dreams" philosophy was still alive.

• Honda’s engines had had 71 F1 victories

• 6 constructor championships + lots of points as team

• Honda has won the GT2 Class Le Mans in 1995 with our beloved NSX

• Indy, Cart, MotoGP etc etc etc etc

.... not bad I think, at least to the point that I am proud of Honda's racing history.

Back into subject, again, both amazing machines, I would test drive both, but just make sure you get a newer NSX so the comparo is a bit more fair.

And good luck, either way I am sure both cars will make you smile from ear to ear ... also I am sure you can't wait to do the fwd x rwd switch, just take it easy on the pedal in the beginning!

Oscar

Back