• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Ideal Track Wheels/tires combo

Been thinking of the ideal track wheel/tire combo...I figure the Type R has 17 inchers all the way around...with 215/40 R 17 and 255/40 R17...anybody try to emulate this setup and have good luck with it at the track?

What lightweight combo do most of you track junkies run?

I currently run the 15/16 setup with RA-1.

Last edited:
I run similar sizes and wheels as Mark but ra1 tires.Btw mystican,I'm asssuming you meant 255 rear tire width :wink:

mystican said:
.I figure the Type R has 17 inchers all the way around...with 215/40 R 17 and 225/40 R17.
It's not only the type R, it's all the newer models and it's of course 255 at the rears.

With 15"/16" wheels like you already have you've got the ideal lightweight combo (works great unless you want a BBK under the front rims). Everything bigger is heavier (unless you buy some magnesium rims
:wink: )

I am looking into this because of the understeering problem I experienced at Mid OHIO...

If I could I would go with a lightweight wheel for the 15/16 size...I think that would really be a trick setup for the track due to its lower inertia...

I'm pretty sure your understeer problem has nothing to do with the rim and tire size. It's a question of suspension, tire grip and driving technique. Remember: If you choose grippier tires overall you alter the car's behaviour towards oversteer (discussed in former threads).

Ask NSXtasy (Ken) how he smokes the bigger boys with his 15/16" setup.

NSX-Racer said:
I'm pretty sure your understeer problem has nothing to do with the rim and tire size. It's a question of suspension, tire grip and driving technique. Remember: If you choose grippier tires overall you alter the car's behaviour towards oversteer (discussed in former threads).

Ask NSXtasy (Ken) how he smokes the bigger boys with his 15/16" setup.

Good thing I am a man and not a "boy"! :eek: :biggrin:

Finding better 15/16 for the track other than oem is a waste of time and money. putting a 215 tire on a 15", 16" ,17" , or 18" front rim is still a 215 tire. Try better tires, adjustable shocks, and play with pressures.

If you are going to go with the popular 17/17 set-up, then run a 235 tire up front, and a 275 in the rear with some SSR's, TE37's etc etc.

Actually, I have seen Ken Sax drive with his 15/16 combo and was very impressed...he IS a good driver...

What I was thinking with the 15/16 combo is to get a wider front wheel to accomodate a wider front tire to help get more tire contact patch and possibly help with the understeering problem that I am having...

Yes and I will improve my driving technique !!!!

Thanks for the comments, guys. Fact is, I know I'm far from the fastest instructor out there, but I drive a good line and I'm consistent. As I mentioned in another thread, at the same Mid-Ohio event, I had another instructor (and NSX owner) drive me around in my car, with its 15"/16" stock size RA-1 tires, and he felt it was very well balanced. And he is one of the fastest guys out there, maybe the fastest (at this event, anyway).

The normal setup for the NSX is a general tendency towards mild understeer, but you can induce oversteer very easily with the throttle. In fact, mystican experienced this himself, at the behest of his instructor, by lifting in the keyhole and the carousel. If your car were understeering too much, you wouldn't have been able to easily do this. I suspect there's nothing wrong with your car at all (although I didn't drive/ride in it).

I have never found the NSX to understeer, it is a very adjustable to drive. However, the Type R set up i now have does understeer.

-Rob

Back