• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If you could live anywhere in the US...

coolnsx said:
KGP, I travel evtensively in the US, mostly April till snow. I am a big time MLB fan and go to both major and minor league games wherever I go. Off all the places I go St Louis is the best baseball city in the world. No doubt/not close!
Since we are "morphing" this topic anyway - first, "if you could live anywhere", to KGP's preferred "if you could diss anywhere", and now, to "if you were judging based solely on baseball"...

How, exactly, do you judge a town based on baseball?

The stadiums? They tend to break down into:

1. old, charming major-league stadiums with a long history (only three left, in Boston, New York, and Chicago)

2. newer, bland major-league stadiums

3. newer major-league stadiums that were well designed to put you close to the action and to evoke some of the old, charming stadiums (e.g. Cleveland, Baltimore, Texas)

As good as the category 3 stadiums are - and they are indeed good, and worthy of praise - I think the two cities that have both a category (1) and a category (2) stadium would have to get the nod, New York and Chicago.

The success of the teams? If so, you gotta give the nod to New York, or if you only count the most very recent history, Florida. If you only count playoffs as success, and not winning the Series, year after year, Atlanta would seem to qualify.

The availability of minor league teams as an alternative, within the metro area without having to travel? I have no idea what other cities have, but we have three - the Cougars, the Flyers, and the Railcats. As I mentioned earlier, minor league basecall can be a lot of fun! How many minor league teams are in the St. Louis area? I don't know, but I bet coolnsx has never been to a game at any of the three Chicago-area teams, or he would be touting Chicago's praises.

Ken, I really feel the fans are the main lifeblood of a team. The stadium is a part of the equation and STL has a nice park that is located in the center of downtown that makes access easy. But the fans live and die with the Cards and fill that park even when the quality of the team is only fair. I am not putting down any other city, I just know STL is the most baseball crazy town I visit. And it's not due to the fact they don't have NFL, in LA we also don't have football and baseball is only minor blip on the sports platter.

I also travel a lot, and currently reside in the San Jose area (luckily no longer in San Jose proper, bleh), of which I cannot wait to move out again, and have found very few places I would want to live (I have been to most of the major cities in the US).

Once I do move out of here, I will be returning to Portland, OR, where I lived for many years. Truly one of the most amazing places to live in the United States (sadly I even grew to become a Blazer fan!).

Portland is a great city, yet still not huge, easy access to mountains (real mountains), rivers, ocean, evergreens, no sales tax (previously mentioned), Oregonians gripe about property tax, but houses are about $.33/dollar compared with where I am currently so that doesn't hold much water, but that brings up the one real gripe, rain[/b[.

It never gets really cold, but once the rain settles in in November, it lingers through May, but then it gives way to one of the most beautiful summers in the nation (July through September is amazing).

Some day I will return.

coolnsx said:
Gentlemen, we in SoCal CAN NOT relate to most of your points :D
I realize that you cannot relate to points about reasonably priced housing, low state taxes, or low car registration fees :p ... but I would think that you could relate to talk about traffic, which has been taken to a whole 'nother level at both ends of your state. :D

coolnsx said:
it's not due to the fact they don't have NFL, in LA we also don't have football
St. Louis does have NFL. When their team left, they went and stole someone else's - yours!

nsxtasy said:
Since we are "morphing" this topic anyway - first, "if you could live anywhere", to KGP's preferred "if you could diss anywhere"...
Ken, lighten up. I was just having some fun.;) I figured you would see my emoticons, reference to you having a future in sales and Ferris Bueler reference, thereby knowing it was in fun. Chitown is a great city.

I think the Chicago regional commerce and growth association needs you. :D

coolnsx said:
Ken, I really feel the fans are the main lifeblood of a team. But the fans live and die with the Cards and fill that park even when the quality of the team is only fair.
The whole baseball suppot thing around here is amazing. Quite a few variables that have brought it to this level. Would be an interesting graduate thesis in marketing I would think.

coolnsx said:
Most everyone in LA thinks the Rams are on a very long road trip :D :D
I wish the Rams would have left their team name in LA. Seems like that is what was stolen. Would have rather had it done like the Browns did.

On a side note - got to go over to the Rams practice facility last Saturday and play flag football. Owners son-in-law invites 20 or so people each year for this gathering (was a few LA folks there). Was a blast, but my 44 year old body is sore. Couldn't believe the number of shoes that Torry Holt had in his locker. Had to be 50 pair, and those were just for practice.

Hey Guys. I'm almost 30 years old and I'm sure I'll live in a lot more areas of the country the older I get (I like to move)...BUT...I feel for my age I can give MY OPINION on where a good place to live would be.

I've lived in these places:

Vancouver, WA
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
Irrigon, OR
San Diego, CA
Tucson, AZ
El Paso, TX
Silver City, NM
Ottawa, Canada
Lafayette, IN
Chicago, IL

I now live in the Midwest and have lived here for a year.

Seattle
Pluses: Pristine beauty, Clean, Fresh air, killer seafood, major culture, the Puget Sound, REAL mountains, varied terrain, close to the ocean, very few bugs, light summer humidity

Minuses: rains all of the time (I consider this a trade-off for the nickname; "Little Switzerland" refering to Washington state) When it's sunny it's untouchable, IMO.

Tucson
Pluses: Beautiful days, laid back lifestyle, mild weather, outdoor activities, great golf.

Minuses: Scorchin' HOT in the summer, cockroaches, scorpions

Chicago
Pluses: ACTIVITIES (you want it, Chicagos' got it), great restaurants, the great lakes, great airport, wrigley field

Minuses: Killer summer humidity...uggh., don't drive your car at night (you'll be plastered by every color of bug guts known to man), salted and thrashed road surfaces, flat land,

Ottawa, CANADA
Pluses: beautiful terrain, parks and outdoor activities, clean, culture

Minuses: THE TAXES WILL KILL YOU!

Obviously guys, these are my opinions! I think most people are partial to the areas they are most familiar with. Mine would obviously be the Northwest. If you don't like rain...don't move there! Bottom line. But...when the sun is shining, the air is crisp and clean, the clean streets and terrain, I feel like I'm in an untouched paradise.
;)

Back