• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

I'm doing Willow Springs Sunda 7/29th. Anyone else attending?

This will be my first track event and hopefully not my last. Is anyone else going?

Anyone else WANT to go and take their NSX? I'm going cause they gor a good deal that day. If so I can post some info since registration deadline is the 15th.

I still need to register myself but i plan on doing so tonight.

My EZ-Up fits perfectly in the back of my NSX.. It was like it was designed to fit in there!!

Anyway, I'd like to go, but I don't have a track set of wheels for the NSX and the 18/19 set will just rub everywhere..

Also, be sure to bring Sunblock and a good hat. It was 100 degrees last weekend and there's a good chance it will be hotter July 29th. My NSX overheated about 8 laps in the 2nd to last session last time it was ~100 degrees..

Last edited:
tempting..... nt0+1's just arrived.... ohh also got an extra set of 15/16 phat fives but you'll need tires

My EZ-Up fits perfectly in the back of my NSX.. It was like it was designed to fit in there!!

Anyway, I'd like to go, but I don't have a track set of wheels for the NSX and the 18/19 set will just rub everywhere..

Also, be sure to bring Sunblock and a good hat. It was 100 degrees last weekend and there's a good chance it will be hotter July 29th. My NSX overheated about 8 laps in the 2nd to last session last time it was ~100 degrees..

https://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com/event-registration

STREETS OF WILLOW SUNDAY 7/29/2012

This event is open to all types of cars and drivers,

Beginners are Welcome,free basic instruction.

We will be running Conter CLOCKWISE

Free Timing for all drivers

Free Basic on track instruction for all drivers

tempting..... nt0+1's just arrived.... ohh also got an extra set of 15/16 phat fives but you'll need tires

I appreciate the gesture! But I have the Racing Brake +2 kit, so 17" is the minimum front size I can run..
I have 2 Dunlop Starspecs 215/40/17 left over already. Just need to get another set of 17/18" and the rear tires to match (oh and the money to make all those purchases :tongue:)...

Had my car alignment done at west end this morning.

IMG_20120716_082759-1.jpg

Now I just have to change mtf and I should be good to go. Just need to find mtf capacity.

I'm on stock brakes/fluid.... will I be OK?

Would recommend switching to a DOT 4 brake fluid as a precautionary measure. I use ATE SuperBlue (or the amber Typ 200).

Also, since this is your first time tracking and you'll be going CounterClockwise, watch this guy to get a good line and familiar with the track.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I29RfACVyZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's mine in the Mazdaspeed 3 from that day. It's a FWD car so my line is a little different, but it'll give you a wider view of the track..
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ONq812HJdzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
What tires are you running? Depending on your tires you might not get to a point where you're boiling brake fluid. If you have a spare set of brake pads it'd be a good idea to bring them. I wore thru my OEM pads like butter one time.

In general though, it's a good idea to do SS lines, ATE Super Blue Fluid, and a good set of pads (not OEM). If this is your first time I wouldn't worry so much about this stuff yet. Just make sure your car is sound and safe and have fun!!!

What tires are you running? Depending on your tires you might not get to a point where you're boiling brake fluid. If you have a spare set of brake pads it'd be a good idea to bring them. I wore thru my OEM pads like butter one time.

In general though, it's a good idea to do SS lines, ATE Super Blue Fluid, and a good set of pads (not OEM). If this is your first time I wouldn't worry so much about this stuff yet. Just make sure your car is sound and safe and have fun!!!

Dunlop starspecs front, Michelin pilot super sport rear on 17/18 ultra leggeras. (My tire guy at tire central swore they hold as good if not better than dunlops).

OEM pads.

Car is super solid with no issues. The only thing that cause me concern is once on way to Vegas I was playing with a Porsche and was WOT pretty often on 110 heat at high speeds. Temp never rose but when I pulled into Vegas I saw some steam from manifold area on rear left side. That was few months ago and has never happened ever again. Is there a hose or gasket from that area that causes this?

It has never happened again despite me pushing it hard often. I've never once seen temps rise above normal, even when that happened.

Being first time I will be taking it easy and just get a feel for the track.

Dunlop starspecs front, Michelin pilot super sport rear on 17/18 ultra leggeras. (My tire guy at tire central swore they hold as good if not better than dunlops).

Be careful. I'm predicting that the fronts will have greater grip than the rears, leading the car to have a tendency to oversteer! StarSpec is an Extreme Performance category tire and the Michelin is a Max performance category.
You may be able to counter some of this by adjusting the tire pressures such that the fronts have less grip and the rears more.

But you'll definitely know if your tire guy was right after this track day. :wink:

Be careful. I'm predicting that the fronts will have greater grip than the rears, leading the car to have a tendency to oversteer! StarSpec is an Extreme Performance category tire and the Michelin is a Max performance category.
You may be able to counter some of this by adjusting the tire pressures such that the fronts have less grip and the rears more.

But you'll definitely know if your tire guy was right after this track day. :wink:

it will also determine if he REMAINS my tire guy :)

(or at least just start taking his advice with a grain of salt)

Good idea....more PSI on tires=less grip, right?

I agree, theyre good people there and they will always have my business. I have purchased 2 sets of tires from them as well as 2 sets of coilovers. A+ guys

Darin set my alignment to:

Front: 2.0 degree neg, 1/16" toe in

Rear: 3.0 degree neg, 3/16" toe in

I asked for a compromise between handling and performance and thats what I got. Car feels a lot better on my high speed s curve onramp on have near my house.

Good idea....more PSI on tires=less grip, right?

There is conflicting information on this... :redface::confused:

Both these sites seem to state that you get more grip with more PSI.
Tirerack says this (To decrease oversteer, Raise the rear pressure) :
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=58

Handling 101 says to decrease oversteer, raise the rear pressure:
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/corrections.htm

This site says the OPPOSITE (to decrease oversteer, lower the rear pressure):
http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/oversteer.htm#.UAY-HvVHGok

in my head less PSI=more grip

I think that is true because if there is less PSI on your tires there is more rubber contact with the ground.

higher PSI means less surface area is on ground. If there is conflicting reports on this I will use my own common sense on this.

in my head less PSI=more grip

I think that is true because if there is less PSI on your tires there is more rubber contact with the ground.

higher PSI means less surface area is on ground. If there is conflicting reports on this I will use my own common sense on this.

Well it depends on the starting state of the tire...

If the tire is underinflated to begin with, then more PSI will give you a larger contact patch (and more grip).

If the tire is perfectly inflated, then adding more PSI will give you less grip because it'll be overinflated (with a narrower contact patch)..

tyre_pressure_diagram.jpeg

Last edited:
Back