• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

importing from the US to Canada, what issues are involved?

I did it, no issues, the biggest problem would be finding a perfect car.

The previous thread outlined all the Taxes, and what is required.

Drop me a Email, I can help you

Bram

^^^ Listen to Zenn!

This is VERY important. You can find yourself owning the car, and unable to get said documents IF you do not do it prior to title. That will make it impossible for you to bring it across.

Also can't be a salvage title..too many retrictions to re-brand the car once it's here you need the original ins estimate etc in Ontario plus all receipts / VINs for replacement parts. My buddy used to do this with supras but now it's so hard to get the ins info unless you know people in the US and the ins company.

Bram said:
I did it, no issues, the biggest problem would be finding a perfect car.

The previous thread outlined all the Taxes, and what is required.

Drop me a Email, I can help you

Bram

Just curious did you do it because of selection in Canada or Price? I can't imagine after all the taxes etc it was cheaper?

satan_srv said:
Just curious did you do it because of selection in Canada or Price? I can't imagine after all the taxes etc it was cheaper?
I did it back in 2001 because of selection (year, color combo) when the dollar was at $1.60 and I considered it to be breakeven even when travel costs were factored in... now at less than $1.25, it should be a no-brainer.

Selection....There are only very few cars from 1997 - 2003 that was sold in Canada. Some have few issues, but it really it is Selection, availability and yes Price (even with the Taxes). Now with the $ at 1.22 it is way cheaper

Bram

satan_srv said:

I think that is Carlos car, (Looky) He acutally got that car from the states as well.

Bram

PassingBy said:
Hey Bram thanks for the offer to help me out.

btw, i see a black nsx with modified rims in the mississauaga area, is that someone on the boards?

I was thinking about waiting till 06 as then you could bring a 91 in with less restrictions and costs. It has to be 15 years old from date of manufacture and then the rules change. Sounds like you might only save the 6% duty. Unfortunately I found a low mileage 91 at a local dealer and paid premium to save the hassles and uncertainties. Taking my RSX as a trade saved some trouble also. Nice to have a speedo in kms and the car currently sitting in my garage though !
If the Cdn dollar stays about where it is, I can't wait till 2012 to bring in a 97 !
I once saw one for rent at a place on the Queensway but they sell them if they have the chance and it is long gone. Also ther is an exotic car rental place just off the QEW and a bit East of Islington. Don't know their stock though
If you just want to go for a spin, PM me and maybe we go for ride. I live in Etobicoke

BV

PassingBy said:
cool.

is there a thread where the members talk about what they do for a living etc? That should be an interesting read!

(these forums are addicting arent' they?)

Start a thread if ya wanna know. I do IT consulting..self-employed, my part-time job is man-whore

coiler said:
I was thinking about waiting till 06 as then you could bring a 91 in with less restrictions and costs. It has to be 15 years old from date of manufacture and then the rules change. Sounds like you might only save the 6% duty. Unfortunately I found a low mileage 91 at a local dealer and paid premium to save the hassles and uncertainties. Taking my RSX as a trade saved some trouble also. Nice to have a speedo in kms and the car currently sitting in my garage though !
If the Cdn dollar stays about where it is, I can't wait till 2012 to bring in a 97 !
I once saw one for rent at a place on the Queensway but they sell them if they have the chance and it is long gone. Also ther is an exotic car rental place just off the QEW and a bit East of Islington. Don't know their stock though
If you just want to go for a spin, PM me and maybe we go for ride. I live in Etobicoke

BV

I really don't think taxes change with the 15 year rule..if you buy CT daytime driving lights it's not really that expensive. You still have to pay the GST PST and 6% import tax.

coiler said:
BV
Yeah I just thought it would be a good idea to actually drive the car around for a day or so to get a feel for what I am dreaming about!

That place doesn't have a NSX, although the owner said he is planning to get one for next year.

prova4re said:
Thanks for helping me sell it................Buddy. :frown:

What? Huh? I did not type that.....it was someone else....do not listen to me, I am wasted off of too much syrup from the pancakes today. :)

(P.S.-- See above post again for updated edit.) ;)

I have a finance company that is a registered Ontario Car Dealer (we do sub-prime "leases" - we don't have a car lot or sell cars other than repos).

I just brought in a Yellow on Yellow 2003 that I bought from an Acura Dealer in DC Area (STD Warranty plus One Year as an Acura Certified car).

I LOVE the car, but am not too sure about the yellow (a little flashy for my personality).

I am willing to sell it (I'll buy a silver one and bring it in instead). Its definately easier for a Dealer to bring it in (You need a Dealer Plate to make the whole thing work easy, otherwise you need an importer, more fees, can't insure the car for a about a month while you own it, :eek:).

You are welcome to come and see/drive mine. If its love we can play lets make a deal - note: I can't transfer the ownership to you for about two weeks since it still needs to be inspected by MOT but you can drive it with the Dealer Plate. (PM Me)

Anyone: I will help you import a car as long as it involves a cool drive back - I love a sportscar on a country highway! :biggrin:

doesn't canada have the 15 year old law, saying u can't buy cars from other countries, unless they are 15 years old?

Back