• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Impressive...What do ya' think??

1983 Ferrari : 308 GTS QV Turbo
Ferrari 308 Turbo faster than 328 355 360 F40 Item # 1826177010
Item located in: Passenger Vehicles:Ferrari:All Models
Currently US $35,433.00 (reserve not yet met) [Bid]
Buy It Now for US $55,000.00
This option disappears
once the reserve price is met.

Time left 5 days, 14 hours +

Started May-01-02 20:55:42 PDT
ends May-11-02 20:55:42 PDT

Seller (rating) [email protected] (74) [star]

(View seller's feedback )
(View seller's other auctions )
(Ask seller a question )
High bid pellicle5280 (0)

# of bids 14 ( bid history )
Location Beverly Hills, CA
Country/Region USA/Los Angeles

Payment Money Order/Cashiers Checks. Personal Checks. See item description for payment methods accepted
Shipping Buyer pays actual shipping charges. Seller ships internationally (worldwide).

[envelope] (mail this auction to a friend)
Watch this item
[Ferrari : 308 GTS QV Turbo ]
· 29787 Miles · 8 - Cyl.
· 2 doors · Manual transmission
· Used · Clear title
· Silver Exterior - Beige/Tan Interior

Options
· Air conditioning · Convertible · Leather Seats
· Power Locks · Cassette Power Windows
Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item. You should contact the seller to resolve any questions before bidding. Auction currency is U.S. dollars (US $) unless otherwise noted.
[Description]
Ferrari 308 Turbo faster than 328 355 360 F40
Vehicle Description

You are bidding on a very rare and desirable car. A US legal, European spec., 29,700 mile, Norwood Ferrari 308 QV Turbo with programmable electronic fuel injection, VIN # ZFFLA13S000047633. The car itself is an excellent condition, with great paint and a terrific interior. People are shocked to learn the car is nearly 20 years old as it looks new. According to the Ferrari Market Letter, while there were 3042 308 QVs produced for the world, there are only approximately 100 Euro 308QVs in North America. The Euro cars are highly sought after as they weigh, according to Ferrari, 273 pounds less than the US cars (2956 lbs. V. 3229 lbs for US cars) and are much faster, handle and stop better. The Euro cars are much prettier as they sport the attractive Euro bumpers which are smaller and permit the traditional Ferrari grille with the Prancing Horse in the front grill. (The US cars large ugly bumpers leave no space for the Prancing Horse, hence its absence from the American market cars.) But this is just the beginning of this car?s story. The world renowned Ferrari Turbo guru, Bob Norwood and his team built this car?s motor with its turbocharged engine and its programmable electronic fuel injection. I have been driving the car everyday. It drives with the same reliability and civility of an ordinary 308 QV. In fact, it drives better thanks to its programmable electronic fuel injection. (Regular Ferrari 308/328s rely on a crude mechanical fuel injection system.) The car drives like an ordinary QV until you step on the gas. If you keep the pedal down, this car takes off like a missile! It is extremely fast! Its speed is truly awe inspiring. You start scanning the horizon for unsuspecting Vipers, Porsche Turbos and Ferrari 360s. (This is, after all, Beverly Hills.) If you?re like me and find the 355s front end styling bland and nondescript, and the 360 to be large and blocky (Have you ever seen a 308 side by side with a 360? The 360 is BIG compared to the svelte 308. The 308 door is hip high, the 360s is several inches taller. In fact, this 308 is 10 inches shorter than a 360, 7.5? narrower and its roof 5? shorter than a 360 spider.) If you love the swoopy and sensual curves of the 308, but wish it had more power, this is the car for you. This 308 will run with or beyond any Ferrari. It blows the doors off a 348 and should give a 360 a run for its money. Its like Enzo planned it that way from the beginning, blessing the 308 with a turbo ready compression ratio of only 8.8 to 1, making turbocharging a straightforward affair. After all, the 288 GTO and F40 motors are based on the 308 engine. Once mildly boosted, the 308 steps into a whole new league of performance, as shown by the Road & Track review of a Norwood Turbo 308 below. Of course, maintenance on the 308 is nothing compared to the 355 or 360. (You could buy a decent 308 for the cost of a replacement 355/360 engine.) While 308 parts are relatively cheap and plentiful, the exact opposite is true for a 355/360. God forbid you ever need to replace something like a door on a 360. I can only imagine what it might cost. But with the 308, whose production began in 1975(!), parts such as doors are interchangeable for all years up to the 1989 328s, making parts relatively cheap and plentiful. This car?s paint is excellent with a brilliant luster that does not need polishing to glow. Its interior is likewise in unusually spectacular shape. The original leather is still supple with no tears or signs of wear. The Dash has no imperfections and everything works. I spent approximately $1800 on engineering expenses having special wheel adapters fabricated from billet 6061 Aluminum to mount brand new Ferrari 360 wheels and Bridgestone tires. The wheels and tires are brand spanking new. Yes, they are 18? and 18? x10? in the rear. Handling is phenomenal! (Replacement cost for the 18? Ferrari 360 wheels and tires is approximately $4500, not including the adapters.) As you will note in the pictures, I also have a set of Speedline 3-piece wheels similar to the F40 and 288GTO wheels. These wheels are no longer produced and are irreplaceable. (I called Speedline in Italy and they confirmed the wheels are no longer produced and there are none in stock.) These wheels are in like new condition with Pirelli P Zeros. The high bidder can choose which set of wheels he or she prefers. If the BUY IT NOW feature is used, the purchaser will GET BOTH THE 360 WHEELS AND TIRES AND THE SPEEDLINE WHEELS AND TIRES! So, why spend $25,000 on a turbo system (plus thousands on wheels and tires) when you can buy a low mileage, Bob Norwood, Euro 308QV Turbo with electronic fuel injection that is in excellent condition? For more information on the amazing performance of this car, I have included a Road & Track article that tested a Norwood Turbo 308 in their special magazine, Supercars, 24 of the World?s Quickest Cars. The 308 was Fifth fastest, behind a race prepped 427 AC Cobra, a Norwood Twin Turbo Testarossa, a full race car Gottlieb Camaro, and a modified slant nose turbo Porsche (running 14.5 lbs of boost). The Road & Track story and test results speak for themselves. The car they tested was running at 11 psi of boost. My car runs at approximately 10 psi and so its performance is comparable. Ferrari 308 Turbo according to Road & Track 0-30 mph 2.2 0-40 mph 3.0 0-50 mph 3.8 0-60 mph 4.7 0-70mph 5.6 0-80mph 6.5 0-90 mph 7.6 0-100 mph 8.9 0-110mph 10.5 0-120 mph 12.4 Top speed, mph 182 Quarter mile: 12.7 sec at 121.7 mph By comparison, Road & Track test figures for a 360 Spyder show its to be nearly 2 seconds SLOWER to 100 mph (360 =10.7 sec 308 Turbo 8.9 sec) and in the quarter mile the 308 is going an amazing 121.7 mph! (The 360 is ?only? traveling at 110.7 mph). To put the quarter mile speed in perspective, Road & Track ¼ mile speeds for the BMW Z8 is 106.5, for the Ferrari Maranello 113mph, Ferrari 355 104.5mph, Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 119.8mph Porsche 996 Twin Turbo115.6 mph. Only the $600,000 F50 beats the 308?s speed at 124.5 mph. With its 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds, the 308 Turbo easily beats the F355?s time of 5.3 sec The car tested by R&T was running 11 psi. My car is running approximately the same boost and thus its performance should be comparable. In fact the car tested by Road & Track was a heavy US spec car, and not the lighter Euro spec car that is now for sale. As this car is lighter by nearly 300 lbs, its ultimate potential exceeds that of the car tested by Road & Track. To put it mildly, this car is a rocket. However, it is just as tractable and civil as a regular 308 QV. It has NEVER overheated. In fact, as a Euro spec car, it runs significantly cooler than US cars. The following is from Road & Track: ?Being a freethinker, I like Norwood?s approach to speed. Road & Track does too. Coverage of the aforementioned GTO can be seen in Road & Track?s Special?s World?s Fastest Cars issue, published in August of 1988. More recently, Bob received an initiation to saddle up whatever he had in his Dallas Texas Ferrari corral and mosey on out Arizona way,. With the Arizona Test Center rented for a day, Bob would certainly put it to good use. Taking stock as it were Bob ran through the list of projects underway at his Norwood Ferrari Service. The GTO was in middle of another engine change; an natural response when a Texan figures out his car runs a frustrating 198 mph and not 2 mph faster. Other possibilities included a Bonneville streamliner, unfortunately too impractical for closed-course exercises: and a Ferrari Daytona Spyder with suitable demon tweaks. No doubt an interesting car, but not as likely to flicker the speed trap?s light beam as quickly as the twin turbo Testarossa in the shop. So, with the schedule set, plan A had Equipe Norwood at the Arizona test session with the big-inch GTO and the Testearossa con due compressori. The vagaries of the test-track scheduling and automotive journalism being what they are, the test date kept moving like an arcade duck, the major result being the GTO project was pigeon holed for a lack of time. On to plan B. We didn?t want to push it with the GTO?, explained Norwood, ?so we put it on the back burner. We had planned to bring the TR all along, so we called up the owner and yanked this the (the 308) off the street, threw the roll cage in it, and virtually didn?t touch the engine.? To be more accurate, the 308 got little more preparation than an oil change, but being a Norwood creation, the 308 is no ordinary Ferrari. Other possibilities on the 308 theme include normally aspirated modifications Norwood has wrought on his Bonneville record cars. Using the later 4-valve engine, Bob Nor-wood took two 308s to the salt flats, setting records in F GT and F Modified. A raised compression-ratio and funny cams get some of the credit for the record-breaking performance, but there is also the head porting Norwood had worked out. In a fit of interchangeability that Eli Whitney would be proud of, the architecture of 308 and Testarossa engines is similar, especially combustion chamber design. It?s so close that a 308 head will bolt onto the TR engine, even if it does leave two cylinders exposed. Where this all works back into the story is Norwood was able to take the knowledge gleaned from porting TR engines and put it into the 308. Naturally none of this applies much to our current subject, as the engine is box-stock, save for all the plumbing on top. A daily driver, the 308 is a wild streetster, designed with the real-world in mind. To meet the contradictory goals of high horsepower and easy drivability, Norwood installed one of his electronic engine-management systems. The control of all injection and ignition parameters by the computerized system makes the 308 easy to tune. Norwood and crew had a positively horrid weekend at ATC, with only the 308 pulling through. First the truck and trailer hauling both the TR and the 308 left the road and jack-knifed somewhere between El Paso, Texas and Las Cruces, New Mexico, leaving little choice but to drive the support truck and the two Ferraris to the test. The 308, megaphone exhaust, red paint and all, made the Saturday night sprint to Casa Grande, Arizona in time for the test, and without arousing the law. So did the support truck. The high-strung Testarossa succumbed on the way to hysteria electronica, never to regain its composure despite generous injections of time, money and talent. Thus the 308 took to the track, its exhaust snarling out of the pits despite the muffling turbos. On each pass the euphonious wail hung in the air, lingering until well after the car was off the straight and just a speck on the banking. With 11 psi of boost, 3.7:1 rear gears and 8500 rpm, Nor-wood was aiming for 170 mph, and he almost made it. A misfire at 7800 rpm limited the Ferrari to 164 mph, with further attempts only confirming the head gaskets were about to make their departure. ?Obviously if we?re going to run these things on the oval where they get worked so hard, we?re not going to use the stock head gasket,? observed Norwood. ?This is the first head gasket failure we?ve actually ever had. But this is the first time we?ve ever run them this hard.? Then glancing around at what amounted to a turbo infirmary, Nor-wood added, ?From looking at some of the other turbo cars here they?ve got the same kind of gasket problems. You just can?t run these kinds of cylinder pressures that long, it starts pushing things around.? At a later retest the healed 308 blistered the clocks with a 182-mph top speed and 12.7-sec quarter-mile. Now that?s the kind of performance Norwood finds acceptable for the smallest Ferrari?something the purists would find exciting in the biggest prancing horse. Not in Texas.? (By Tom Watson)

Vehicle Condition

Exceptional

Terms of Sale

Please be sure to have all monies (loans or financing approved or in place) before making your final bid. I will accept Certified & Cashier's Checks and Bank transfers in US Dollars only. A 10% deposit is due within three days of the auctions closure. The balance is due within 7 days of the close of the auction. If the deposit is not timely received or if the balance is not paid in full within the stated time, I reserve the right to relist the vehicle or to sell it to the next highest bidder or another qualified buyer. Buyer pays all shipping charges. All bidders understand and agree that I reserve the right to notify bidders and cancel this auction and shall not be held liable for any such cancellation. No bid retractions in the last 24 hours of auction please. Remember your obligation as a bidder and eBay® Community Member. Don't Bid unless you have the ability and you intend to purchase the vehicle. Bidders must have cash or available financing before bidding on our vehicles. Remember that you are entering into a legal and binding contract to purchase the above-described vehicle. I reserve the right to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone that intentionally interferes with the auction.

On May-02-02 at 12:46:33 PDT, seller added the following information:

In response to numerous emails, YES, the car has had its 30k mile service performed by Norwood Performance(new belts, valves adjusted, new clutch plate, etc).
On May-02-02 at 12:53:00 PDT, seller added the following information:

The mirrors on the car are unique to the European 308QV. They are much prettier than the block US versions and they too are power and feature an enamel Ferrari shield on their exterior. The bumpers are the same color as the body (GRIGIO). Unlike the US bumpers, the Euro bumpers are paintable. The car comes with Books, Records and Tools.
<http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_724d375ed8f4d3af63455a22/i-1_B.JPG>
<http://pics.ebay.com/aw/pics/supersize.gif>
Click on a picture to enlarge
<http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_724d375ed8f4d3af63455a22/i-1_B_T.JPG>
Supersize Picture
<http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_724d375ed8f4d3af63455a22/i-2_B_T.JPG>
Supersize Picture
<http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_724d375ed8f4d3af63455a22/i-3_B_T.JPG>
Supersize Picture
<http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_724d375ed8f4d3af63455a22/i-4_B_T.JPG>
Supersize Picture
<http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_724d375ed8f4d3af63455a22/i-5_B_T.JPG>
Supersize Picture
<http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_724d375ed8f4d3af63455a22/i-6_B_T.JPG>
Supersize Picture
[counter 2]
Free Counters powered by Andale!

Payment Details
See item description and Payment Instructions, or contact seller for more information.
Payment Instructions
See description.
[Bid Now]

------------------

Back