• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inappropriate Question

Most of the time, it is just kids, who are excited to see the car. Asking someone how much a car costs is not the same as asking how much money you make. Please!

I've seen this thread for sometime and I've bit my tongue...

This secrecy of personal finances is probably one of the more destructive social norms in America. Only in this country do I find such attitudes...

I say honesty is the best policy and it is quite helpful. It keeps people from living beyond their means and allows them to make *informed* decisions. Money is the linchpin of our society and we're all doing each other a disservice by this secrecy.

I just can't see any positive of keeping non-tatical financial information secret.

Drew
FWIW: I paid $27,500 for my NSX in 1999 in a distress sale.

A short marketplace interview that probably says it best:

BREAKING THE MONEY TABOO
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2007/05/07/PM200705074.html

Money is known as "the last taboo." We're more likely to know about our friends taking anti-depressants than to know about their dreaded credit card balances.

Why is this? Well, as my eighth-grade teacher used to say about a lot of things, it's "rude, crude, and socially unacceptable."

But since we seem to have lost our manners in many other areas, why be so proper when it comes to personal finances?

I think it comes down to fear. If we ask, we might have to tell. We might have to admit that we're in financial trouble.

We're also afraid of not fitting in. Who wants to be the one who speaks up at a group dinner and says, "I'd rather not order wine, actually . . . " Why does it seem like everyone else can always afford it?

The fact is, anxiety over money is much more common than we realize.

More Americans are going bankrupt than are getting divorced — but bankrupt families can't find one another and talk it out, because we're too ashamed to admit money trouble.

So why not break the money taboo? It's only adding to our stress. Let's speak up about our envy, be honest about what we can't afford and wonder out loud how our neighbors paid for that weekend trip to Paris.

I like to put it as, "Wow, how long did you have to save up for that?"

Open the door a bit and see what you find out. Even if it's just a look on their faces that tells you they hadn't saved.

You're likely to learn that you're not alone. After all, 70 percent of us report living paycheck to paycheck. At least you'll discover the relief of honesty — and often get a reality check.

That's a way we can improve our financial well-being, even before we make more money or pay off all our debts.

Marshall Brain also has a long essay how keeping wholesale prices secret is just bad for society

http://marshallbrain.com/etq-wholesale.htm

My finances are not a secret, yet I don't talk about them to anyone outside my own household unless I've got a good reason to do so. I can't see any negative side to keeping non-tactical financial information confidential.

If the person is just being nosy about my finances, I usually answer something like:

"I've had this for quite a few years now, so I really couldn't say any more. I am sure if you checked out autotrader.com or some other sites online you could find out any information you want. This one is a '94 and by the time they get this old prices are pretty reasonable."

If it is a car enthusiast, I generally say "You could find a nice older one like mine for somewhere in the $30s." and then give them a tour of the car, a ride, or talk to them about whatever interests them about it if I have the time.

It amazes me how many people ask me how much I paid for my car. Depending on whether they are a total stranger or not depends on my answer. If they are a stranger, I will tell them that they stopped making them in 2005 and the prices range between 85K and go as low as 35K for a clean low mile car. Then I tell them that mine is a '91 and MSRP was around 65K.

It amazes me how many people ask me how much I paid for my car. Depending on whether they are a total stranger or not depends on my answer. If they are a stranger, I will tell them that they stopped making them in 2005 and the prices range between 85K and go as low as 35K for a clean low mile car. Then I tell them that mine is a '91 and MSRP was around 65K.

Not that I have a problem answering but I am also amazed at the number of people who ask straight up how much I paid. I would never ask anyone anything like that.

I think it's strange in SoCal where everyone is pretty superficial to ask a question that could be perceived as very personal. I guess the thought is if someone is driving a flashy car they want people to know how expensive it is and won't hesitate to tell if asked. I don't know. But I do get asked a lot. I love it when I can say $24,000. It crosses a few people's eyes.

I really don't have a problem with sharing how much I paid as long as the person is respectful in asking. I also agree that it can be rather rude, depending upon the situation.

Me, I don't care. Since mine was a 92 I just tell them about what I paid for it. A little over $30K. Most of the time they say "That's it". :wink:

I agree though it depends on the conversation. I have never had anyone just yell out "How much you paid" while driving by. It has always been during a conversation about the car (NSX) so I feel it is no big deal.

the way I do is tell them more than how much I bought it for, ha ha ha

"More than you can afford pal..... Honda!" :tongue:

Ha. LOL.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcF8E0UF-Oo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcF8E0UF-Oo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

seriously though... I am getting kind of sick and offended by this crap. I got mine for a song, but I don't want to tell everyone that. I like the "a lot" or "too much".. I think I'm going to go with that from now on.

If someone starts to look at my car for more than a few seconds the $ question usually comes out. Most real car guys have enough respect not to ask. I have a friend who recently bought a vintage race car well up in the six figure territory. He and the seller both signed agreements not to disclose the dollar amount to anyone, even the tax man. My wife doesn't even know how much I paid for my car, so I'm sure not telling anyone else.

I really don't know what is the fuss about? If I were asked, I just tell them the truth. I bought it new and I paid less than list. I really do not know exactly how much I paid for it unless I search for my record. If I remember, I would just tell.

I figure if I paid less than market value and got something at a good price that is great. If I paid too much.... Well, I made a choice with my heart.

I completely hate this question... and it is asked WAY too often...... ... Anyhoo, I have learned to respond with.............

"I stole it" ;)

Yes this is also one of the questions that I get. It doesn't really bother me, because I have the choice in how I respond. One of the things that I learned from going to my first AA meeting was "I have no control over other people places or things." So with that, I am not surprised by anything that somebody else does. :rolleyes:

One of the answers that I give people that I don't know is "To buy an NSX in the condition mine is would run you somewhere between 28-30 grand." To people who I know, and that also know how much work I have done on my car, I tell them what I paid for it and also what I have spent on just parts, without any allowance for labor.

Just remember your answer is your choice. Smile when you answer, regardless what you say.:smile:

Brad

I believe that the most appropropriate way to answer questions such as these are with another question: I would more than likely smile and ask, "why would you like to know?" JMO, KH

I really don't see any big deal about disclosing the price of the car. Mine is just a thirty something thousand dollar used car that many many people can afford. Some people want to spend that on a SUV and I spent that on a used NSX. The car is obviously very special and people are interested. By saying crap like "more than you can afford", one just makes one a pompous jerk. Really, owning a NSX is no BFD!
Steve

Back