• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inappropriate Question

I know we've all had this asked of us before: "How much did you pay for it?"

My simple answer is always the same: "Enough"

Not to beat a dead horse on this topic, but it brings up a deeper issue: Where the hell did all the respect for others go?!?

Would you ask another person their salary, age, mortgage payment, etc? I know it's JUST a car, but where I come from, I would never ask a question like that w/o knowing someone pretty well. I can't even get an "Excuse me, would you mind telling me how much you paid for that?", which is still borderline.

Alright, I'm off the podium..:smile:

I know we've all had this asked of us before: "How much did you pay for it?"

My simple answer is always the same: "Enough"

Not to beat a dead horse on this topic, but it brings up a deeper issue: Where the hell did all the respect for others go?!?

Would you ask another person their salary, age, mortgage payment, etc? I know it's JUST a car, but where I come from, I would never ask a question like that w/o knowing someone pretty well. I can't even get an "Excuse me, would you mind telling me how much you paid for that?", which is still borderline.

Alright, I'm off the podium..:smile:

Funny, I whole heartedly agree with you and I get that question a lot, I either say "enough" or "a lot" and chuckle and leave it there. It usually diffuses the situation and a somewhat rude question.

I did have one person ask me this question:

Inquirer: "Can I ask you how much you paid for your car?"
Me: "Sure you can ask the question!....but I am not telling you how much":biggrin:

Anyway I agree its something that I believe can be discussed amongst people that know each other somewhat well.

I hate this question but am well used to getting it. I just say " A Lot"

"I got a great deal but still quite a bit".

or I just tell them what the original owner probably paid OTD, msrp + mark up + tax + registration. Then I tell them I didn't that much though.

Question bugs me.

I appear to in the minority on this matter. I don't mind telling people how much I paid for my 95. I sometimes actually enjoy their responses. Some people are amazed at the value of the NSX and others think it’s a waste of money, which sometimes leads to some interesting conversations. The one exception is that if someone asks me in a manner that seems disrespectful or insincere, I answer very much like the majority.

It depends on who's asking the question. If it's just some punk or someone else poking their nose in, I'll just wave them off.

But if it's a genuine enthusiast, I'll go ahead and give them full purchase details. Shared knowledge is power for all.

Why not just say "these range in the market now from 30-90K". That way you answer the guy's question and if he has a brain cell he will know that you didn't want to answer it about your personal car. Its a lot more curtious than "enough".

I usually respond with "NSXs my age run around $30,000 to $50,000 depending on mileage, condition and modifications". That way I give them something of what they want without disclosing what I paid for mine. They really don't want to know what YOU paid, but what it would cost them to buy one in today's market. If I bought my car 10 years ago, what I paid back then is irrelevant. They want to know what they cost now.

I usually respond with "NSXs my age run around $30,000 to $50,000 depending on mileage, condition and modifications". That way I give them something of what they want without disclosing what I paid for mine. They really don't want to know what YOU paid, but what it would cost them to buy one in today's market. If I bought my car 10 years ago, what I paid back then is irrelevant. They want to know what they cost now.

Please modify your figure "from 30-50" to "from 30-110K depending on the fruitbasket that owns it." :biggrin:

Seriously though why 50? there are plenty of NSX's that cost more than 50.

Please modify your figure "from 30-50" to "from 30-110K depending on the fruitbasket that owns it." :biggrin:

Seriously though why 50? there are plenty of NSX's that cost more than 50.

I was just giving an example. Fill in your own figures. Or say that new they went for around $90,000.

I get the question more driving my H1 but I have an easy out "it's a company car" :tongue:

I think he refered to NSX's "his" cars age (1995) run 30 to 50

Yes, it goes like this:

"Cars similar to mine (point to your car) sell for somewhere between $X and $Y depending on mileage, condition and modifications. Of course, you could spend more or less than that depending on many factors such as how much you want the car, how rich your daddy is, are you dumb as a sack of hammers......." :biggrin:

My daddy taught me that it's rude to ask someone how much they paid for something. I usually decline to answer.

"More than you can afford...N S X"

I am a non-confrontational person, so I always give an answer worthy of the individual who had the pompous arrogance to approach a total stranger with a personal financial inquiry. I am polite, sincere and low key when I answer in a manner of caring and true concern. The response is usually something like this:
" I bought it new, so it cost twenty-nine thousand out-the-door. However, there are many low mileage used ones available for substantially less".

Interestly I posted this question after the first month of ownership, unfortunately nothing has changed, they still ask very indiscreetly :rolleyes: . However, I still agree it's offesive and should be a question reserved for people whom you have a higher comfort level with. Fortunately most of my close friends are considerate enough not to ask but since I would be curious if I were them, I just tell them. If someone else I don't know well shoots the question out of the blue, I tell them "Let's just say I got a good deal" and leave it at that. Get used to it, some people just aren't judicious enough not to ask.

I get the question occasionally and it doesn't bother me, unless they aren't interested in anything else and it is the first question out of their mouth. Like "Hey man, cool car. How much?"

I just say. 90 new. 30 used.

If a regular Prime member asked, I am fine with answering. If a member ask in a disrespectful tone, then I would think twice before answering. Since they don't know when I purchased my NSX, the price alone is not very relevant to me paying too much or get a great deal. The tone of the question will determine if I will answer the question.

Totally agree. If it's a prime member or enthusiast, I am more than happy to share what I paid.

"More than you can afford pal..... Honda!" :tongue:

"More than a Civic.....Less than a Yacht." :biggrin:

I've ask a couple of owners in the past, but it was more like: I'm looking to buy one of these soon, what can I expect to pay for a nice 92. Then they open up and tell me what they paid for theirs, and it's a pretty good conversation after that. I find NSX owners really like talking about their cars. And since I'm in the NSX learning process, I'm all ears.

Back