• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Indy Yellow and Long Beach Blue

I don't get it. Acura has been making a huge deal about "bringing back" some "heritage" colors. They tout the Indy Yellow and the LBB as something that they brought back from the first gen NSX. In fact these new colors look nothing like the old ones.
Other than the names, there is no heritage. What's up with that?
Steve

Thanks for bringing this up; I've wondered the same thing. I agree that if they're going to make such a big deal about bringing back heritage colors, then they should be the exact same colors. If they're just going to pay homage to the old colors, then they should be clear about that and use different names. I'm obviously just making these up, but they could have gone with Napolis Yellow and Shoreline Blue--they relate to the original color and nod to them, but are clearly new.

I honestly think Acura has struggled with this in nearly all regards with the NSX. The first-gen was such a legendary, game-changing car that they obviously wanted to tap into that goodwill and positive emotion. But the new car is *so* different that the attempts to tie it to the first-gen often seem artificial and forced.

Exactly. Per Car and Driver Magazine, " Acura is adding Long Beach Blue to the its list of heritage paint colors on the NSX hybrid supercar, which also includes Berlina Black and Indy Yellow. The bright blue was a rare exterior paint job on the first-generation cars, and it'll cost an additional $1000 on the 2021 NSX."
I read that and I thought I was demented to have found the new LLB nothing like what I remembered. I don't personally like the Championship White more than Grand Prix White, but I bet people would be excited to see them offer Championship White as a true special heritage color.
Steve

What they REALLY need to do is offer the NSX in a couple of dozen color choices, including a "we'll mix whatever you want just like Porsche will" even if it was a $10k upcharge. All the presale talk about "the NSX will offer a bespoke ordering experience" needs to be made true!

What they REALLY need to do is offer the NSX in a couple of dozen color choices, including a "we'll mix whatever you want just like Porsche will" even if it was a $10k upcharge. All the presale talk about "the NSX will offer a bespoke ordering experience" needs to be made true!

I've been saying that since day 1....

Conversely, I think it would be cool to see some of the Gen 2 colors on Gen 1 - make them available as a part of the Gen 1 refresh program. I would not mind seeing Curva red or Valencia red on Gen 1, and vice versa, Formula red on Gen 2.

Conversely, I think it would be cool to see some of the Gen 2 colors on Gen 1 - make them available as a part of the Gen 1 refresh program. I would not mind seeing Curva red or Valencia red on Gen 1, and vice versa, Formula red on Gen 2.

Have you seen @bzyrice 's car?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ure-of-your-NSX/page259?p=2003680#post2003680

And yes, I agree Steve/ [MENTION=7212]whiteNSXs[/MENTION] , the whole heritage colors that don't look like the original colors thing is weird.
The colors look great, but strange to bring back the names.

Here's a little something I found while researching.
https://acuranews.com/en-US/release...-color-indy-yellow-pearl-at-monterey-car-week

• A modern interpretation of sought-after Spa Yellow, offered on the 1997-2003 NSX, Indy Yellow Pearl joins Berlina Black as one of two NSX heritage colors
https://acuranews.com/en-US/release...rsports-and-heritage-in-long-beach-blue-pearl
Celebrating its own colorful history, the 2021 Acura NSX will debut a reformulated version of Long Beach Blue, one of the rarest colors from the first-generation NSX palette.

So, at least they acknowledge (not widely) that the new colors are different from the originals.

Last edited:
For reference, here's the Long Beach blue from the original NSX:

T000162-01.jpg

And the updated:

2021-acura-nsx-front.jpg

If you aren't going to make it the same color, I honestly have no idea why you'd call it the same thing.

For reference, here's the Long Beach blue from the original NSX:

T000162-01.jpg

And the updated:

2021-acura-nsx-front.jpg

If you aren't going to make it the same color, I honestly have no idea why you'd call it the same thing.

^EXACTLY! I live in Loveland, CO 90% of the time, but have my 2005 LBBP at my house in CA. I love blue Hondas! I have a 2005 NSX, 2007 Laguna Blue S2000, a 2015 blue-green Crosstour and a 2017 blue Pilot. But, my next car is RED! Candy apple Valencia Red! It's supposed to be delivered to me tomorrow morning, Friday 2-12-2021. It would have been LBBP if it was the "true" color. I'm excited about the red.

210210_120417 2017 NSX shipped.jpeg

^EXACTLY! I live in Loveland, CO 90% of the time, but have my 2005 LBBP at my house in CA. I love blue Hondas! I have a 2005 NSX, 2007 Laguna Blue S2000, a 2015 blue-green Crosstour and a 2017 blue Pilot. But, my next car is RED! Candy apple Valencia Red! It's supposed to be delivered to me tomorrow morning, Friday 2-12-2021. It would have been LBBP if it was the "true" color. I'm excited about the red.

View attachment 168668

Congrats! Don't be a stranger at the local NSX meets! :D

Beautiful, love that red!

wow Kyras getting an NC1!! I smell a future NSX driver profile article....Congrats on a great car and color

Congrats Kyras !! I recently acquired a 2017 Valencia Red NSX as well -- the color is absolutely amazing !! You are wise to have kept your S2000 and LBBP NSX - I wish I had kept mine !!! Cheers, Jay

Back