• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Intake Manifold Holes

Intake Holes

I have a strange one. Yesterday I installed an ExtrudeHoned intake that I received from another party and started up the car. Well, everything runs fine except the intake has 6 small holes (~1/18” diameter) on the top of the manifold—which creates havoc with the idle, although it idles fine when I put my fingers over the holes. These were either drilled in during the extrudehone process or were there for NOS system or something like that. In any case, I am now stuck with these holes and I don’t really want to take the intake back out to properly seal them up if I can avoid it.

One thought is to take the car to a local TIG welding place and have them carefully lay a bead down. If I have this done while the intake is still in the car is there any chance it will screw up the electronics components? Any other suggestions?

I’ll try and attach a picture.

fi151.jpg

here you can see two of the holes on the top of the intake manifold, starting in the lower right hand corner.

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited 13 February 2002).]

Dan...compare it to your existing one that works, and if the holes aren't on your original part, then just lay a TIG bead down and grind it flush.

Andie

Originally posted by HomeDepotNSX:
Dan...compare it to your existing one that works, and if the holes aren't on your original part, then just lay a TIG bead down and grind it flush.

Andie

It's not normal to have those holes as the car doesn't like it <g>. Can I lay a bead down without screwing up the electrical system?

DanO

How about Silly Putty?
Its not as if though it would go anywhere.

Well, on a more serious note, why don't you try some sort of Vacuum sealant.
They take 24 hours or so to set, but are built to seal vacuum leaks at the 1e-7Torr level, so those holes wouldn't be a hige problem.

Originally posted by Edo:
How about Silly Putty?
Its not as if though it would go anywhere.

Well, on a more serious note, why don't you try some sort of Vacuum sealant.
They take 24 hours or so to set, but are built to seal vacuum leaks at the 1e-7Torr level, so those holes wouldn't be a hige problem.

Where does one get "Vacuum sealant"? I'm willing to try anything that won’t ever EVER get sucked into the intake manifold—guaranteed! <g>

DanO

This may sound silly but JB Weld works well on anything and you probably have it in your store.

I think you can get the Vacuum sealant from any industrial parts type store.
It is typically very watery and takes 24-48 hours to cure. You can speed it up if you bring the temp up to 800C or so it says on the label. (Ridiculous isnt it? As if we can bring anything up to 800C at home)
It hardens into a semi transclucent very HARD material that will NOT leak.
I'll get you the brand name and a store you can buy it at later today.

Originally posted by DanO:
It's not normal to have those holes as the car doesn't like it <g>. Can I lay a bead down without screwing up the electrical system?

DanO

You'll have to do it OFF the car...take the IM off, and tack a weld down...will take like 1 seconds per hole...and then sand it down...shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that these holes on the new IM are NOT present on your old one.

Andie

Hey Dan,
(Read your reply on the list). Great to hear from ya. If you can put the JB weld in the holes sparingly, you can bet your ass it'll hold. Just sand the surrounding area lightly to give it something to bite to.
I've seen my father use it on a lawnmower block that had a peekaboo hole in it from a rod. After I laughed at him for even thinking about it, he fixed it and it worked!
(Damn I hate it when he's right).
Just be carefull not to put too much in the holes as it may drip down into the itake.
The very best thing would be to have it welded. But if you don't want to remove it, Jb weld it.
Barn Man..

DanO,

I would be cautious about the JB Weld since Edo mentioned about it being "watery". Don't want it running into the intake as BarnMan points out. Maybe a small tap, a lot of WD40, with grease in the flutes of the tap, and some really small bolts?? From the picture I cannot tell if the holes are drilled out smooth. Since the intake is aluminum it should tap quite easily.

HTH,
LarryB

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
DanO,
Maybe a small tap, a lot of WD40, with grease in the flutes of the tap, and some really small bolts??

Small chips will fall through the hole and into the engine if you do this. If you go the tap route, take the intake out first.

Also, wont the thread protrude on the inside -- kind of undoing some of the benefits from the smooth interior?

The idea behind the grease is to catch the filings, they stay in the flute of the tap. It works very well. Also if you use a short enough bolt/screw it will not interfere with the intake runner. The real thing I see to be concerned about is are the holes drilled so you can find a proper tap size without drilling them out larger. If so, then I would agree, take the manifold off.

LarryB

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
The idea behind the grease is to catch the filings, they stay in the flute of the tap. It works very well.

The question is... would you be willing to gamble and save a few hours when your engine is at stake?

Back