• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Intercooled CSTC?

Who am I? Good question......I never think about it really.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Bob Leonti and I have recently been hired by Shad to help out with office duties at Driving Ambition. I recognize many of the names on this forum from the 7 years I was sales manager at Comptech. Although I have been employed in the traditional auto parts industry the past 4 years I have kept in touch with Shad and these forums.
Anyway, we have the intercooler kit for the CT s/c ready to go. We will post the details next week.

but for a water to air to be sitting in between two hot objects, I just dont see it working well for a long period of running time. Meaning, if your running your car round and round on the track, how is it possible for the water to be cooled off by outside (air) temp, when the heat from the charger and engine its self is heat soaking the hell out of the core? Not to mention most cities average about 90deg? temps out side. So you have 90deg weather cooling off what, 300deg engine heat aswell?

What is difficult to understand about it? You just need a heat exchanger that can efficiently dump the heat. I usually put them in the front bumper.

Your comments about the ambient temperature show a fundamental lack of understanding of how the system works. If your criticism was valid, air-to-air intercoolers would have the same issues, since they also rely on the same 90 degree outside air to cool the charge. Sure, there may be a bit more heat dumped into the air-to-water system from surrounding components (which just means its also cooling the intake mani), but water also has a significantly higher thermal mass than air and is MUCH better at pulling heat out of a system.

We ran my first silver car on a big banked track in the Texas heat and it worked fine. You just have to understand the engineering.

my .02.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of mine, which works great. Its stock height allows the CTSC to fit easily under the factory lid. I can verify that the heat exchange "theory" works as expected(at least in my setup it does) and doesn't heat soak, even on hot summer days in Florida.

Nice, I can't access your pic though.
Bob, email sent for buddy Ed.
I have the welded manifold and am pissed off since I can't add this.
Trev

Here are some pics of the system components. Included in the kit: aftercooler core, front mount heat exchanger, water pump with wiring connector and mount, coolant reservoir with cap and bracket, drive belt, air box spacers and all necessary hoses, clamps and fittings.

Attachments

• IMG_1240small.jpg
    IMG_1240small.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1241small.jpg
    IMG_1241small.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1242small.jpg
    IMG_1242small.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 105
I would be sending you cash tomorrow but can't since my fairly new barely used whipple CTSC kit I bought is actually one of the first ones made with a welded intake plenum.
Ask me if Im pissing off.
Send me the price anyways so I can buy one for Ed.
Trev

Edited to show picture of Boat Anchor that won't work with the intercooler.
If you where sold one of these welded first gen units then you are out.
Guess you'll run meth/water injection.

Attachments

• OldStyleCTSCManifold_resize.JPG
    OldStyleCTSCManifold_resize.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Lets say, since winter is around the corner, if ambient is in the mid 40's, what's going to happen with your afr's? With those drops in ait's, noticeable gains in hp will be seen. For fic and ems users no problems, adjust here and there. How will it be with RRFPR?

I would be sending you cash tomorrow but can't since my fairly new barely used whipple CTSC kit I bought is actually one of the first ones made with a welded intake plenum.
Trev

You should be able to mill the top of yours off and mount the IC unit.

I just got an email back from Bob with some useful information that I think people should know. He said this kit is recommended only for non-targa cars because the strut brace will not clear the blower due to the raised height. He also went on to say that they hope to have a solution for this in the future.

Just an FYI for all you NSX-T owners who are interested in purchasing this kit.

Its -9C or 16F here this morning and driving to work, the nsx was strong.
Lots of Dense air coming into that whipple.
Guess I don't need an aftercooler, I'll just drive this car in the winter!!! lol
Trev

Trev

Trev, Your cool with one of the ~10 hand built intakes. It's the stock Honda intake modified for the SC and if you call Shad the injector angle or "Something" makes about ~4-6 extra HP over the CT intake. This has been proven over and over on a dyno with different cars :smile:

Once again you are wrong with your assumptions.
This is not one of the first 10 modified stock intakes.
This is just after that.
But thanks for your 10 cents of info, next time take it for the dancers.
I don't need your contributions.
lol
Now that is rough!
When you coming to Edmonton so we can really party.
Miss you!
Trev

Well to tell you the truth, I should not be running what I am but am being careful.....KABOOM!
I have a high boost 3.0l pulley, thats the 4.0" one, with a low boost set up without AEM. We are at 2200 feet here and I have lower compression pistons and have taken the timing back 2 degrees on the manual screw in the engine bay. I also threw in 60 point or 6 octane booster to be safe.
I step into the throttle slowly giving the RRFPR a chance to catch up to things and I have no problem. If I mash it, then a little det here and there.
Kaboom....lol
Oh, I also plugged the vent hole up on the ole RRFPR so it reacts faster.
Once there I have enough fuel but have to get the larger 340cc Honda injectors in and matching RRFPR soon, I was going to do in when I replaced the O.S. Giken, but left if for later when i park the car soon.
So, this is the way I roll for now and yes, it had more zip than at 70F.
I don't have a logger for the afr's and the gauge is down in my coin holder place thingy so I just look down here and there and listen and drive with care. I wish there was something in between a RRFPR and and AEM.
Trev
p.s. My thoughts on the boost thing is that the stock injectors are not good for anything other than stock, they just don't have the capacity like right now to fuel the sudden rush of air. Will change those out shortly, I've been saying this all summer. Don't think that old whipple low boost kit should have been sold with out the bigger injectors.

Driving ambition is going to start a new thread for this complete kit soon.
Bob is busy packing up kits as we speak.
These things are going to go out like hotcakes.
Hats off to the D.A. Team!
Give Bob a call for price in the mean time, I'm sure he can put down the tape gun for a sec. Wow, what a job demotion, Top sales manager to ship Boy! lol
Trev
Here is his contact info:
Bob Leonti
Driving Ambition
2378 Gold River Rd. #11
Gold River, CA 95670
916-861-0032
[email protected]
www.drivingambition.us

Once again you are wrong with your assumptions.
This is not one of the first 10 modified stock intakes.
This is just after that.
But thanks for your 10 cents of info, next time take it for the dancers.
I don't need your contributions.
lol
Now that is rough!
When you coming to Edmonton so we can really party.
Miss you!
Trev

Oh.......your hurting my one feeling Trev............you short bully you :frown: see if I let you grab my junk again :tongue: j/k

Don't mess with me....I have Pam's # and she will come and kick your ass :smile: if your lucky W/ the cowboy boots :rolleyes:

Further more, we and Ed went out for Salads last nite and up one of the big long hills in third I eased into her and she hit 10.0 afr at one point so there is lots of fuel once the RRFPR catches up.
Otherwise, you just wait for days like today where the snow does all the talking and you creep along at below boost speeds and sip your coffee and smile at the world. Who needs an aftercooler when you have snow!!!
Trev

Attachments

• DSC05664_resize.JPG
    DSC05664_resize.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 123
Back