• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

interior cleaning question

Hello all, I'm approaching time to clean my NSX's interior for the first time, and wanted to find out what is recommended for the dash and plastic trim. I've always used Armor All on my past vehicles with good results, but the NSX is a bit more special than my past vehicles, so I thought I'd see if there is something better out there that I just don't know about. I checked the faq, but didn't find any recommendations. Thanks, Will

Hi Will,

I don't like Armor-All much. It leaves an oily-looking, sticky gloss.

I use Zymol Vinyl. It is designed specifically for vinyl, without formaldehyde*, and it leaves the finish with a satiny sheen, which is quite attractive. It is also very pleasant-smelling, as you can tell from the ingredients list**. Good stuff.

HTH

zymöl Vinyl™
Vinyl Conditioner

vinyl.jpg

* Heat, cold, washing and exposure to solvent-based cleaners and run-of-the-mill treatments damage the finish of your vinyl upholstery and vinyl trim. Some vinyl manufacturing methods use formaldehyde as the base. Introducing solvent- or formaldehyde-based treatments can accelerate vinyl deterioration by changing the original chemical balance. zymöl Vinyl Conditioner is a solvent-free, formaldehyde-free, oil-based feeding product that releases solvents and restores moisture.

** Contains Lemon Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Sesame Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil), Cocoamide, Lecithin and Xanthan Gum.

I've actually heard very bad things about Armor-All. People have informed me that it uses Sillicone, which does not allow the vinyl to 'breath' and hence will cause it to be more prone to crack. My friend suggested using this stuff from Griott (I think that's the name). I'll have to ask him for more details.

interior cleaning

Go to the FAQ and hit the detailing tab and then tab for leather cleaning etc and you will see a long discussion on the merits of a number of products..Should answer all your questions....Jim Rehner

Re: interior cleaning

jrehner said:
Go to the FAQ and hit the detailing tab and then tab for leather cleaning etc and you will see a long discussion on the merits of a number of products..Should answer all your questions....

Actually, Will Erickson is correct; that section of the FAQ only talks about leather, and doesn't give any advice at all about care for vinyl interior parts. Leather and vinyl have very different composition, and require different products for optimal care.

Joel said:
I use Lexol on leather and vinyl. They're pH balanced.

I also 2nd Lexol for what it's worth. Great stuff! Vinylex for dash & door panels, Lexol Cleaner then Conditoner for the seats & leather trim pieces.

Honda's product is good but not great. I've tried them all and would agree that Vinylex for vinyl and Lexol for leather are good products, but the BEST products I've found are Zymol's Vinyl for vinyl and Treat for leather. These just can't be beat for restoring the material to like-new condition.

I like Zymol for vinyl and Lexol for leather.

You will want to use a product that has a UV blocker in it. Lexol, 303 Aerospace Protectant and einszett Cockpit Premium all fit the bill. Klasse also makes a product that I really like.

Lexol has a little bit more shine than 303, which is pretty matte. The einszett is also pretty gloss-free. All three of these will need a wipe down after application to remove any excess. The Klasse seems to evaporate off the treated area, leaving a nice "new" look. Some feel the finish is a little too matte.

All of the products I mentioned work equally well on tires and rubber trim pieces.

I use 303 aerospace protectant. It has UV blockers which is good and it leaves a semi gloss / satin finish. Works great. BTW: They are one of the supporters of NSXPO why not give them a try:)

www.303products.com

I have used Lexol Vinylex (still have a few bottles left over) and have found that it attracts dust and leaves a sheen which I could do without. I now only use it on my engine compartment and save the 303 for the interior. I like the shiny in my engine compartment.

FYI. HTH

Jeff

I have BlueMagic cleaner for Vinyl/leather which is PH balanced and BlueMagic Leather Conditioner. I bought to use on my Harley seat and have not tried on the NSX which I just bought. Anyone use this product before?

Leather conditioner no help

I mentioned b4 that you should check the FAQ--Detailing which would answer the questions--I remembered reading something there stating conditioners served no purpose and so I went back and found the info--hit the tab for What is leather & what is vinyl and it says under Notes there is a urethane coat applied over the dye which is supposedly semi-permeable and will stain but which will not allow leather conditioners to absorb into the leather. If this is true then the leather can be cleaned but not conditioned.

Anyone want to comment on this--obviously, if the seats have been recovered the above would not apply unless they apply this same urethane coating?????

I just got off the phone with Leatherique and they assured me that urethane is a semi-permeable, water-based coating which can be penetrated and treated by their products. The urethane makes the leather water resistant, but not water proof.

So yes, you can, and should, condition leather that has been treated with urethane.

I use 303 as well. Also have been using it on my boat for a number of years, and the vinyl looks every bit as good as the day I brought it home. I would guess that marine conditions are quite a bit more harsh than what we (at least I) subject the NSX to.

KGP said:
I would guess that marine conditions are quite a bit more harsh than what we (at least I) subject the NSX to.

But, based on this photo, they might be similar to what this owner subjects his NSX to:

:D

I use Lexol on the leather (the industry standard, I would argue) and Megiuars Vinyl and Rubber on the dash, parts of doors, behind seat liner, etc. Looks great on black.

Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner for me on everything Leather or Vinyl!
Leaves a nice look that's deep and even rather than the wet look!

Back