• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Introducing the Authentic Honda OEM Type R Red Valve Cover Powder Coat Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many who have gone down this road have realized several things...

- most powder coaters don't have a perfect Honda Type R Red match (usually brighter and is more Orange in color)
- almost all powder coaters won't use a matched fine wrinkle powder and instead use a fine texture (similar to 80-100 grit sandpaper)
- most powder coaters do not take the care in taping up all the no spray zones (according to OEM)
- Krylon and VHT spray only come in a bright red and is more Orange in color and it's just paint
- Krylon and VHT spray while super cheap, will not produce a consistent finish and does not have the resilience or longevity of powder

I have gotten a powder maker to custom match the OEM Honda Type R Red in wrinkle powder to my OEM NSX Type R Intake Manifold Cover. I had to pay a hefty up front fee but now I own the powder and it's a perfect match! The powder has been spec'd to handle engine and under the hood temperatures and is UV resistant (for those who want to show it off under the glass hatch in the sun!)

I'm offering the powder coat service for $250 per set. The sales are structured around batches to keep the costs low.

The Service Includes
- drop off to get the covers chemically stripped (no sandblasting) with a 3 stage washing
- pickup of the covers and a thorough wash and clean
- carefully tape the parts that should not be coated (according to OEM) with 400+ degree C tape
- drop off for coating
- covers will be powder coated with custom OEM Honda Type R fine wrinkle powder and baked in 400 degree Celsius to cure
- pickup, inspection and removal of tape, etc.

All you have to do is drop off the covers if you are local (Toronto) or ship them to me.
If you are shipping them, you will be required to cover shipping costs.

Core Option
- a core option can be available at special request but a core charge (full replacement value of OEM covers) will apply
- to avoid the core charge, you can ship me your covers and I'll ship out a set of completed covers in exchange

NSX Full Service Special (local Toronto NSX owners only)
- for NSX owners located in Toronto/GTA, I also offer a full swap service for $400 all inclusive
- I will use my extra core set of covers that is already OEM Honda Type R Red coated and install them in your car for you
- I will swap out your OEM covers and use them as the next set of core covers

Pricing Summary
- $100 per valve cover (or any metal part you want)
- $250 for 2 Valve Covers or all 3 NSX covers
- $400 for full service NSX cover swap
- multiple valve cover / metal part discounts are negotiable (more than 2 pieces)

Batches are 9-10 valve covers. There is some flexibility in that I will usually have 3 - 6 covers (cores) that will need coating per batch so usually only 2 orders are needed to kick a batch off.

I already have 2 NSX orders and a Prelude for the first batch. Once I get another NSX order or 3 more other covers/parts, I'll kick off the first batch. The holidays are coming up so I probably won't be able to start until January.

Please feel free to PM me or post questions.

Current Batch : ETA Early Feb
1. NSX owner 1 (core ready for coating)
2. NSX owner 2 (core ready for coating)
3. Prelude cover (ready for coating)
4. TSX cover (ready for coating)
5. Prelude cover (stripped, being taped / masked)

Pictures of the Sample compared to my OEM NSX Type-R Intake Manifold Cover

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.jpg

Link to a full res photo of the above photo
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=41301&size=big

IMG_0470.JPG

Last edited:
Quick photo while I was taping up the covers before coating.

DSC_0253.JPG

I know I'm starting with non-NSX covers... I'll post them up tonight...

Here is a TSX cover, front and rear. No powder overspray...
DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0303.JPG

Here is a Prelude cover front and rear. My White Balance was off a little so it looks a bit Orange without flash but it's definitely not!
DSC_0322.JPG

DSC_0314.JPG

Here is a close up of the texture. This was the TSX cover. Looks orange, but it's not...
DSC_0329.JPG

Link to the full resolution of the above pic.
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/1239/DSC_0329.JPG

The next 2 batches are pretty packed tight with customers but I'm also waiting for covers to be sent customers so I'll kick off batches when I can.

The approx. turnaround is around 2 weeks but there is no guarantee so rush orders come without a guarantee. Either way, I'm willing to work something out.

how well does this stuff stay on? like oem? the factory is primered and then laid on with the black. I had seen were some were done and you spend 200.00-400.00 to have them done and when you clean your engine bay with cleaner or degr. it peels it off. do you guarantee for it not to peel off? if you do and it will stay on like factory you can sighn me up to do mine. i will send you my intake cover wich is stripped already and valave cover will be stripped.

The powder coat is VERY durable compared to the OEM paint. That doesn't mean you should abuse it, but if you treated it the same as paint, it will last forever!

I tried scraping off coating with a quarter (on a test piece) and it took some pretty serious effort and I couldn't really get it all off. A Dremel got it clean off though... :wink:

Cleaners and degreasers will not affect the coating as the powder has excellent chemical resistance as well as impact resistance. For the coating to chip with a direct impact, you'd likely damage the valve cover along with it.

I'll send you a PM. Thanks.

For those who already have the valve covers done in red (97+) how much would it be just for the center manifold cover?

Thanks

For those who already have the valve covers done in red (97+) how much would it be just for the center manifold cover?

Thanks

Of course it makes more sense to do the all three covers at once as you'll have a better match but if you just want to do the Intake Manifold cover it will be $100 which includes the chemical stripping, phosphate wash, taping, coating, etc.

The $100 does not include Paypal fees or shipping. PM me if you are interested.

I finally had a chance to install the front valve cover. The quality/workmanship is stop notch. Garrett does a great job of masking the appropriate areas. You can see my OEM formula red REAR valve cover in the pic that the previous owner did. They did a POOR job of masking...paint chips all over the place as a result. Now it's a deep red...looks FANTASTIC. Thanks G!!!

DSC07254.jpg

DSC07249.jpg

Jeff

Nice Pics Jeff! Looks great in the engine bay! Some more photos from a recent batch.

Stripped covers, phosphate washed and ready for masking.
DSC_0368.JPG

I take masking seriously and even on a Civic cover, everything is properly masked.
DSC_0376.JPG

DSC_0378.JPG

DSC_03811.JPG

Intake Manifold compared to Original Type R Piece
DSC_0389.JPG

DSC_0399.JPG

DSC_0407.JPG

No powder bleed in the rear of the covers
DSC_0412.JPG

Man, this looks great. I did something similar to this Type R Valve Cover DIY a while back, but the paint isn't holding up as well as I'd hoped. Looks like powder coating is the way to go.

Hey you did a great job esp. the masking. Very nice.

I tried the VHT as well but it was such a bad match to my OEM Type R intake manifold, I had to get the custom powder made! I also found that paint tends to get easily get stained by dirt and oil. Its difficult to remove and chemical tends to weaken the paint. Powder is much more resilient to all of that.

Last edited:
EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT!

Just installed my Intake Manifold Cover this weekend. Couldn't be more satisfied! Perfect color match, flawless finish, terrific service (quick turnaround and delivery) excellent communication, great value. Have I left anything out? Can you tell I am satisfied? Thanks Garrick.

EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT!

Just installed my Intake Manifold Cover this weekend. Couldn't be more satisfied! Perfect color match, flawless finish, terrific service (quick turnaround and delivery) excellent communication, great value. Have I left anything out? Can you tell I am satisfied? Thanks Garrick.

Sir you are most welcome and it was a pleasure to serve you!

When is the next batch going out? i want in. :biggrin:

I'm sending in another batch tomorrow but there is unfortunately only 1 set of NSX covers. I'm waiting for a set of cores to return but that will be for the batch after this one.

I have a PM from someone interested so I'll have to let them decide if they want in but you are next! PM and we can discuss details / logistics!

Recently installed a set of covers on a local NSX.

Rear cover compared to the freshly powdercoated Type R cover
IMG_0689.JPG

Rear cover off. The rear is the hardest to remove as everything is in the way, the strut bar, rear air dam and engine cover. The rear barely fits and removal can be a real pain!
IMG_0690.JPG

Rear cover mounted...
IMG_06921.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

Front cover off and compared to the fresh Type R cover.
IMG_06941.JPG

Front cover mounted.
IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

Just need the intake manifold to finish it off!

A customer who asked for only the Intake Manifold to be powdercoated on his NA2 engine was kind enough to send me some pics of the results. Thanks for your business 99NCNSX!

CIMG0465.jpg

CIMG0466.jpg

CIMG0467.jpg

Here is Peter's completed Intake Manifold with his new NA2 Type R plate. Too bad I used too much flash for this but my hands were dirty and had to run...

IMG_10861.JPG

You know whats funny about this pic? i got a brand new NSX cover for doing such jobs like this, but its so damn nice i dont want to ruin it and therefore still like to use two blankets :p

Thanks Honda for making everything so damn nice!!!!!!

Haha, I know exactly what you mean!

This is what I plan to do since I've thought it over and have some experience with car covers, towels, etc...

- Put a layer of towels on the car first.
- Lay the mechanics cover over the towels.
- If you like, have some small towels to put over the cover.

The cover is heavy and thick so you don't want it pressing any of the dust against the paint cause when you remove it, it's likely that you will rub the dust on the paint surface. Towels are a lot more forgiving.

The towels on top can be for the dirty car parts and you can just lay down your tools, lights, gloves and other clean items on the mech cover...

Man that's a terrible picture of me!

lol. my friend is not very good with taking good pics of his buddies. :) too bad he didnt take a better pic of the mismatched paint job on those valve covers. YUK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back