• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ionizer. Anybody have one?

Has your water been tested? They also make fairly cheap TDS (total dissolved solids) testers you can purchase. They do make inline replaceable units or portable units for connecting to hoses specifically for car washing, but if your TDS is really high you would be going through filters quickly.
Another option is to lightly mist your car with quick detailer after rinsing. Then dry as you would normally, this tends to reduce water spotting. Once your car is clean, the best solution is to seal and protect the surface so that water spotting is reduced to a minimum, which would include your glass and painted areas.

I have the CR Spotless De-ionizing Water System (model # DI-120) it works as advertised. Use as a last rinse and walk away, dries spot free. That particular model is a bit cheaper than the rest, I think it was like $250, and the replacement packs are like $40. It's supposed to get 100 of gallons of water before you need to replace the resin. And the nozzle runs at 2 gal/minute so if you use it for like 2-3 minutes as a last rinse, you're using about 4-6 gallons which implies you should get 20 or more washes out of it (for $40 per replacement pack, so $2 to NOT have to dry your car). I heard you can get them cheaper on amazon or something, I haven't needed on yet.
The next model up is $300 and gets 150 gallons, so that price works out better cost/gallon. (replacement pack is still $40)
I wait until it's dry and still pass with a spray detailer or spray sealant (Hybrid V-7).

Before I bought the system I would go to walmart and buy gallons of distilled water for 80 cents each, use about 3 or 4 at the end of the rinse... works just the same. Sometimes I even dipped the waffle weave drying towel in it and wring it out real good to dry the car like that, give it a quick wipe and any "streaks" left behind are distilled water so it evaporates away perfectly.

Back