• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPhone 3G(S) unlock advice?

Hello all,

I was handed a mint iPhone 3GS from my sister and she said I could have it. I'd like to unlock it and use it with my current service (T-Mobile). I currently have an original unlocked iPhone (2G?) that I'm using on T-Mobile service as well - love it!

I've tried for hours and hours this weekend to jail break it, unlock it, downgrade it, etc, with no luck. My research online pointed me to a few iPhone forums, but the acronyms and technical jargon completely beyond me. :redface:

SPECS:
iPhone 3GS

Whatever those mean…as I understand it, 4.1 is slower, so many are down grading back to 3.1.2….and if my phone was still on 3.1.2, I would be able to go to www.jailbreakme.com via the phone and have it unlocked. When trying to downgrade, I read something about SHSH files?? If I don’t have them, I can’t downgrade? Lost here…

My sister is with AT&T, so can I place her SIM card back into the 3GS and then downgrade it?

Lastly, I’ve run across a few online ads that say they will/can unlock any iPhone for $20-$30 bucks. I don’t mind paying, but again, via the iPhone forums, people are stating these sites are scams. :frown:

Sincerely,
- Zishan

This phone, as of right now is not unlockable.

4.1 is your software version ( currently the newest)
5.14.02 is the bootloader

If you had SHSH files, you could downgrade the software but the modem would still not be unlockable.

Wait a few days, the unlocking procedure should be out soon.

Last edited:
I had an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile and I replaced it with a Samsung Vibrant. The Samsung is better than the iPhone imho and you can get them pretty cheap.

This phone, as of right now is not unlockable.

4.1 is your software version ( currently the newest)
5.14.02 is the bootloader

If you had SHSH files, you could downgrade the software but the modem would still not be unlockable.

Wait a few days, the unlocking procedure should be out soon.

Thanks for the info. All this stuff is pretty confusing to me. Let's say I wanted to downgrade it to 3.1.2 regardless...as it's makes the phone operate faster, how could I do so?

I had an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile and I replaced it with a Samsung Vibrant. The Samsung is better than the iPhone imho and you can get them pretty cheap.

In which ways is it better? I'll look into it, but I'm not looking for a new phone. My old unlocked iPhone has been great. My only complaint is that the speaker/ringer is weak. The iPhone 3GS seems improved in that aspect. Plus getting it handed to me, was a major selling point! :biggrin:

Thanks gents,
- Zishan

Lastly, I’ve run across a few online ads that say they will/can unlock any iPhone for $20-$30 bucks. I don’t mind paying, but again, via the iPhone forums, people are stating these sites are scams. :frown:

This is exactly the website I bookmarked....but read some posts on the iPhone forums that they were scams? Did you happen to use their service by any chance?

Thanks again,

Thanks for the info. All this stuff is pretty confusing to me. Let's say I wanted to downgrade it to 3.1.2 regardless...as it's makes the phone operate faster, how could I do so?

- Zishan

The phone could only be downgraded if you have the shsh files backed up with cydia. If the phone has never beed unlocked it can not be done.

There are plenty of iPhone 3G users who want to go back to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 because the phones they updated to is4 work slow, that is not the case with the 3GS. If I was you i would leave it at what it is and just wait for the unlock which should be out very soon.

Thanks Brylek, I will sit tight until they come out with an unlock for the phone. :smile:

Back