• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPhone 4 reception issues?

Mine dropped it's inaugural call lol, but since has been great. I just cannot get enough of the screen!

interesting others too have had this...

Mine dropped my first (2) voice-calls, lolz... :D

Actually, the individual(s) on the other end couldn't hear me but I could hear them. I assumed it was how I held the phone. Also, I noted negligible signal-bars on occasion where otherwise they were prominent w/ my previous Motorola (still AT&T). I got mine late afternoon on Tuesday (June 23rd) so only a day & a half of usage of the handset.

Since then or otherwise, it's been smooth sailing w/o issue or compromise.

As unarguably stated by all who've examined/used an iPhone 4: the display is just unreal. Without compare. As flawless as could be, in the current marketplace.

All-in-all, I give the iPhone 4 a 9.99 / 10.00. Only deduction due to smudge-happy screen & back-panel! :redface:

I'm worried about the battery usage. I hope it last a lot longer than my 3GS. I'm thinking about getting the iphone4 any day when the lines die down and just sell my jailbroken 16g 3GS. I have yet seen the new iPhone in person

I'm worried about the battery usage. I hope it last a lot longer than my 3GS. I'm thinking about getting the iphone4 any day when the lines die down and just sell my jailbroken 16g 3GS. I have yet seen the new iPhone in person

The claimed battery life is crazy long, but we'll see in real world how it is.

I had 5.5hrs of talk time on it yesterday (don't ask) after a full 100% charge. When I was finished I was at 24% battery life. My 3GS would have been dead by then.

I bought the last remaing bumper in the store yesterday and can attest that installing one does fix the reception issue. W/o the bumper and holding it in my left hand normally, the phone will lose 2-3 bars. Holding it w/ the bumper on maintains full reception.

It's not the fix that should come from the factory but it does solve the issue temporarly.

I had 5.5hrs of talk time on it yesterday (don't ask) after a full 100% charge. When I was finished I was at 24% battery life. My 3GS would have been dead by then.

That is pretty impressive. I think my storm 2 would be long since dead.

Why people run out and buy shit as soon as its released.. I will never understand. Just wait a month for them to identify the bugs and patch it.

Why people run out and buy shit as soon as its released.. I will never understand. Just wait a month for them to identify the bugs and patch it.

I don't understand how APPLE could have possibly missed this one. I mean, NOBODY there noticed it before it was released???:confused:

hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong.jpg

Hehe, didn't run anywhere. About 10 mouse clicks and 30 keyboard strokes and it was on its way :).

I was concerned about the antenna issue, so I did a lot of testing. I did bandwidth tests of 3G using speedtest.net's app. I tested both holding the "evil" corner and with the phone sitting on the desk. I found there was not a clear correlation network performance between holding the phone and when it was free.

By this, what I mean is I often got better performance when holding the phone with 2-3 bars than I did when the phone was sitting on the desk with 5 bars.

Free standing: 2.1 Mpbs down, 1.4 Mbps up
Holding hard so corner is shorted: 2.5-2.8 Mbps down, .7 Mbps up

There is some variance, but that is what I noticed after doing this about 10-15 times.

It's also a fact of life that covering an antenna results in blocking some signal. That's why the SAR rating exists. Happened to my Sony Ericsson and also my older iPhones too. Other reports on the net from earlier in the year tell of it happening on the Nexus One.

My conclusion is that it is an overly sensitive signal display, magnifying what happens anyway to many candybar phones. The phone may also need to be tweaked to better hold a signal that gets messed with in this way.

Last edited:
For the guys joking about dropped calls.
Is that normal? I can't say that I've ever had a dropped call in the last 5 years on Verizon. I really do want an iPhone 4 though....

For the guys joking about dropped calls.
Is that normal? I can't say that I've ever had a dropped call in the last 5 years on Verizon. I really do want an iPhone 4 though....

I switched from Verizon to AT&T and have been experiencing dropped calls on a regular basis. This has been with multiple phones, so it's not the iPhone's fault, it's AT&T. Not only do calls drop, but the quality of the call is far inferior to Verizon. The calls are staticky and the voices are not clear. I am seriously thinking of switching back to Verizon. Don't drop Verizon because you want the iPhone if you care about these things.

I like the fact that:

1. My blackberry is issue free.
2. Verizon cell phone service has been the most reliable I have ever had.
3. I don't pay for my phone or service - taxpayers do. :)

If iPhone came to Verizon, MAYBE I would switch. But I will never leave Verizon as a provider.

I like the fact that:

3. I don't pay for my phone or service - taxpayers do. :)

If iPhone came to Verizon, MAYBE I would switch. But I will never leave Verizon as a provider.

That is always a great thing!

I haven't ordered/bought one yet, as I'm waiting for the white model. I went down to the store just to check it out though, and was amazed by the screen and the camera. I too heard about the reception issue, so I held it different ways, but could not duplicate the signal loss. Then again, I've heard some stores use signal repeaters. Not everyone is having issues from what I've read.

They need to hurry up and release the white iPhone. I haven't heard anything definitive about the iPhone 4 being jailbroken and having tethered internet working without paying AT&T extra money. I use my iPhone 3G to tether to my MacBook.

For some strange reason, just didn't want to be the first on my block this time.

Eh, I can't say that I've seen the reception problem really. The iPhone 4 seems better than my old RAZR, but that''s not saying much.

I have a case on order and it'll solve any hardware problem with skin conductivity affecting the antenna (field testing iPhone 4's in cases wouldn't have shown the problem, of course.) There are rumors of software patches for other things. Most people I see with iPhones have them in cases anyway. So, is this really a big deal?

The new screen is amazing. Battery life seems good, but it depends on what you do (video playback is a big drain naturally.) So far, I'm quite pleased with the quality of the first release. No yellow tint on the screen or anything.

Androids seem to offer more customization options and are cheaper, but bigger ...and have a a bigger screen. Their battery life doesn't seem to be as good. It's the Mac vs. PC argument all over again...

Here's an article that may interest folks: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/26/iphone_4_review_1_hardware_fitfinish.html

I'm not sure what to say about dropped calls with the iPhone, since it's too early to say. Here's an article about that: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/25/death_grip_hysteria_may_end_monday_with_ios_4_01.html

I've made calls with zero bars without getting dropped, BTW.

Last edited:
I think come mid-July I should be able to walk in and get on from the local AT&T store with no lines (hopefully).

I think come mid-July I should be able to walk in and get on from the local AT&T store with no lines (hopefully).

Maybe, if you want a black iPhone. White iPhone 4 will be released mid/late July, so I'm sure those will be in big demand. I know I'll be getting a white one.

Maybe, if you want a black iPhone. White iPhone 4 will be released mid/late July, so I'm sure those will be in big demand. I know I'll be getting a white one.

Just an FYI, you will have better screen contrast on the black. Your eye does not see brightness so much as it sees the "difference" between blacks and whites, light and dark. Having a black surround on the screen creates much more contrast than having a white one. This is why all LCD/Plasma/LED displays have a black border (before you even get to the bezel). It is to create contrast. This is why all theaters have dark/black walls around the screen. It will be a noticable difference so unless you just like the fashion of the white that much better I say get the black.

Just an FYI, you will have better screen contrast on the black. Your eye does not see brightness so much as it sees the "difference" between blacks and whites, light and dark. Having a black surround on the screen creates much more contrast than having a white one. This is why all LCD/Plasma/LED displays have a black border (before you even get to the bezel). It is to create contrast. This is why all theaters have dark/black walls around the screen. It will be a noticable difference so unless you just like the fashion of the white that much better I say get the black.

Yeah, I guess i'm going more for fashion/looks. The screen looks amazing, so I don't think the color will make a big difference.

Back