• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ipod adapter review

I decided to pull the trigger on an iPod adapter for my car as I didn't want to cut any wires or replace the head unit. I picked this one up from Science of Speed: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/USASpec/

I have an iPhone 5, which I have read on this site has caused some connectivity issues with the iPod adapter kit, but I am pleased to say that I did not experience any such issues. The wire that comes with the kit is for the previous ipod/iphone models(30 pin connector), so you will need to purchase a 30 pin-lighting connector from Apple for about $30. The quality of the kit itself was top notch and heavy duty. The directions were pretty good, but could have been a bit more thorough in a couple areas (mainly when instructed to remove the hatch release lever). There is a tiny little piece of metal that sticks out that you have to pull on, which you have zero visibility to unless you are a contortionist. I completed the install in an hour with most of my time being spent getting that hatch release lever off and carefully removing all the interior panels while trying to avoid breaking any clips.

The ability to listed to commercial free Pandora radio while having Google navigation running is fantastic! When Google navigation wants to give you the next turn instruction, the music cuts out so the instructions can be heard clearly. If a text or email comes through on your phone there is an audible noise through the car's speakers to notify you. When the phone rings it rings through the car's speakers but the conversation is not audible through the car's speakers. You can grab the phone or hit speaker to get on the call. I am guessing this is because there is no blue tooth connectivity, but I didn't find this to be too big of a deal.

Regarding placement of the phone itself I had it just laying in the coin tray. I would like to look into some kind of temporary mount clip for the dash or an AC vent for the back of the phone. Sometimes it is nice to be able to take a peek at the screen when the navigation is running without having to look down at the coin tray. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was surprised to find that while having my phone hooked up for music(on the cd changer function on the head unit) that the stock antenna stayed up. I have previously owned cars that the antenna would go down when I clicked onto the cd player function. Does anyone know why the antenna insists on staying up? It sure makes the car look awfully goofy! Over all I would say this is a VERY worthwhile modification to help modernize our cars and I would highly recommend this kit to anyone. Forgot to mention that this kit is 100% plug and play so for those of us who prefer reversible mods this fits the bill.
Jeff

Last edited:
^Have a picture of it installed with the phone so I can get a better feel for how it works?

PHOEN$X has some, hopefully he will see this thread and provide them :)

Some photos of the Panavise here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...install-and-wiring-mess?p=1596303#post1596303

97NSX_ipod_adapter_install_04.jpg

Regarding the antenna, there is a power cord for it on the driver's side of the trunk. Just pull the plug and the antenna will never go up. I did that and have been just fine.

I think that if I went long term, I would install a cable from the driver side A-pillar and then use a suction cup to mount the iphone to the upper left of the steering wheel. I have been running an ipod there and I really like the position of it, but the battery runs down fast and I obviously can't connect it to music.

I was surprised to find that while having my phone hooked up for music(on the cd changer function on the head unit) that the stock antenna stayed up. I have previously owned cars that the antenna would go down when I clicked onto the cd player function. Does anyone know why the antenna insists on staying up? It sure makes the car look awfully goofy! Over all I would say this is a VERY worthwhile modification to help modernize our cars and I would highly recommend this kit to anyone. Forgot to mention that this kit is 100% plug and play so for those of us who prefer reversible mods this fits the bill.
Jeff

If you install a Smartenna in the trunk then extend the wires from the trunk to behind the drivers seat and plug the smartenna in before the USA Spec box then the antenna will only go up when the radio is on. I just finished doing that on my install

I have just read in a few places on this forum that the Smartenna does NOT work with the USA spec iPod adapter but it does work with the Grom unit. Yours is working properly?
As for mounting, I am looking to go with something more custom and integrated into the dash. The main issue with customizing something is that the shape of the phones change so often that I will most likely have a new phone every 2 years.
If you install a Smartenna in the trunk then extend the wires from the trunk to behind the drivers seat and plug the smartenna in before the USA Spec box then the antenna will only go up when the radio is on. I just finished doing that on my install

I have just read in a few places on this forum that the Smartenna does NOT work with the USA spec iPod adapter but it does work with the Grom unit. Yours is working properly?
As for mounting, I am looking to go with something more custom and integrated into the dash. The main issue with customizing something is that the shape of the phones change so often that I will most likely have a new phone every 2 years.

I should have mentioned my adapter is a Grom. With my install I ran the USB and Iphone cables into the centre console plus I have Bluetooth in the Grom so I think no matter what phones do i'll be okay for a while

I should have mentioned my adapter is a Grom. With my install I ran the USB and Iphone cables into the centre console plus I have Bluetooth in the Grom so I think no matter what phones do i'll be okay for a while

Originally Posted by JD Cross
"If you install a Smartenna in the trunk then extend the wires from the trunk to behind the drivers seat and plug the smartenna in before the USA SPEC BOX then the antenna will only go up when the radio is on. I just finished doing that on my install"

Has anyone successfully used the Smartenna with the USA Spec box?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JD Cross
"If you install a Smartenna in the trunk then extend the wires from the trunk to behind the drivers seat and plug the smartenna in before the USA SPEC BOX then the antenna will only go up when the radio is on. I just finished doing that on my install"

Has anyone successfully used the Smartenna with the USA Spec box?

Yes Warren is right and I was wrong about the USA Spec adaptor. I assumed the USA Spec would be the same as my Grom.

Back