• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it all about the horsepower?

When I bought my NSX, Horsepower was not the very first priority.

Reliability and handling were more important for me, and then horsepower.

But seems like lots of people (some idiots) don't give the NSX any respect due to the lack of horsepower.

Seems like posts below are very common.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=986051

If it is all about horsepower, why is that when I take out my NSX, I have people running over to my car to take pictures, give compliments, and generally want to see it in person?

I Agree with you.

Horespower???? Then why did I beat MANY Z06's, F-cars, P-cars, even NSX's with my 230 bhp turbo integra on a 2 mile road course??? It is ALL about power to weight, braking and handling in a package. NOT horsepower alone. And you are correct about the cars "rare" factor to the public. I just got back from South Beach, and saw 1 Murci, 6 Gallardo's, and about as many 360's as Neons. I saw 1 NSX. :wink:

I just read that whole forum, and I almost puked. I now see why I pretty much ONLY go to NSX Prime for forums. I am a sportscar enthusiast, and love all sportscars equally. Some of these so-called pro-american, pro-union pro-stupidredneckignorantdroppedoutofschool losers just don't have a clue. The one guy says that he doesn't like the NSX or any non-american car because of what happened on 9/11! WTF does that mean? That Honda hijacked the planes? I have been out of the Domestic vs Import loop ever since I sold my Teg for the NSX, and I see that nothing has changed over the years. :rolleyes:

I read it too and it pisses me off. Most of those people are just freaking idiots who think GM rules the earth. They will never understand what "quality" means. To bash a car they have never driven is just stupid.

Nonetheless, the NSX is an old car and in 2005 it is not really very competitive anymore with the current offers from other manufactures. Can't argue there.

There will always be hater for both import and domestic cars.

It all comes down to your own preferences. I admit that the new C6 did a much better improvement in the exterior look than the previous version.

However, I'll take a used NSX over the new C6 anyday...but that's just my taste.

Many,would say more of a good thing is not bad,until you get too much!However it seems that does not apply to cars :confused: There is a point where the HP is too much for the handling dynamic and chassis design of any car,but after driving around in a FI nsx you realize that the car as is can handle an extra 80-100 horse,,and damn I like it. :biggrin: Of course,I'm personaly still an NA guy and therefore Honda products are suited to me,but there is no denying a good long lasting shove!As I read all of our posts on the new??? nsx or hsc it is becoming painfuly clear that supercardom is not in the cards for Honda anytime soon :frown: It is pitiful how little evolution the nsx has undergone in its 15 yr :eek: life span.

Engel07 said:
There will always be hater for both import and domestic cars.

As I already wrote in this thread there is hardly any difference between import and domestic cars - the number of "foreign" parts for both kind of cars may be the same.

People who don't understand that and insist on "home country" cars are not worth to discuss with.

docjohn said:
There is a point where the HP is too much for the handling dynamic and chassis design of any car,but after driving around in a FI nsx you realize that the car as is can handle an extra 80-100 horse,,and damn I like it. :biggrin:

Agreed. The CTSC feels awesome. I am hoping to get some rides in BBSC's at the end of the month. Most people I talk to that have a CTSC say that is how the car should have come from the factory.

Most times I feel like I am in the minority when I question why people who only drive their cars on the street care so much about horsepower. I can understand if you track your car you would like to have enough to at least keep up with some of the higher powered cars assuming that driver skills are fairly equal. However, I just don't understand obsessing over increased horsepower just to be the fastest to get to the next red light. My daily driver is an E55 but I still "enjoy" driving the NSX more both on the street and the track. It is rare that I get to push the E55 anywhere near its capabilities compared with tracking the NSX but I honestly have never felt that the NSX needed those type of numbers. On some level it seems just to be "horsepower envy" because realistically when do most people get a chance to use all of the power that we all seem to crave.

Bob,,,Come drive with me on the street,,,in my suv and I'll scare(I mean show) you why I need more HP :tongue:

Of course horsepower isn't everything. Philosophically, I think what counts most is how much enjoyment you get out of your car regardless of what model or marque it is. That said, I'd have more fun with a little bit more power. Like 100 more rwhp. I'd be whipping up on every HPDE driver out there.

Shawn, who considers whipping up on HPDE drivers fun, worthless, and not in the spirit of HPDE. Dang, I need a real race car. :frown:

The thing with horsepower is you can never get enough, at least to the casual motorists. The NSX should be compared based on engine size as a consideration. It is a 3.0 L or 3.2 L NA engine doing battle with cars with engine displacement up to 2 times greater. In motorcycle terms, you have 600cc, 750cc, 900cc, 1000cc. No one will look down on a 600cc sportbike not have enough HP to run with the 1000cc. but it comes very close. The NSX is a great sports car with a "IDEAL" combination define by HONDA over 15 yrs. ago. the motoring public wants more HP now. that's the trend I am seeing, Hopefully HONDA will do something about it. otherwise NSX will be obsolete like a old laserdisc player.

I can't understand why it should matter what your hp numbers, 1/4 mile numbers or 0-60 numbers are compared to other cars.
If you like the way the car looks and performs what do you care?
Why care if your car impresses anyone other than yourself?

Actually, that thread is pretty mild. The Corvette vs NSX subject pops up about once a month and is usually much more hostile. 90% of the people over there have never driven an NSX so there opinion doesn't mean much.

Both cars have their strong points. If I can find that C6 and NSX pic I will post it over there and start a little "dated look" controversy. :biggrin:

A few thoughts here. I have owned a vette for 33 years. I go to the vette shows throughout Central FL. Thre are two vette camps out there. Old school and new school. Old school owners are into restoration and the preservation of the car. Pretty much great group of people. New school owners, I find, are not into restoration and argue about horsepower etc. At the last vette show I participated in, my 68 was paired with a new C6. The C6 owner told me the NSX was gutless in performance. Yet he had never actually driven one. His new C6 had been in the shop for three weeks because the vette's harmonic balancer had almost come off. It took out the belt and a few pulleys and the balancer. The Chevy dealer treated this guy like a piece of garbage giving him the bums rush. My 00 NSX went in for an oil pan gasket and transaxle seal last week. My car's undercarriage was steam cleaned, gaskets and seal replaced, oil and filter change and thoroughly inspected. The car was detailed before I picked it up. Oh yeah. The dealer gave me the option of a dropoff and pickup or a free loaner car. I selected a CL loaner. Did I mention that this was at no cost to me. Part of buying an NSX is getting this level of service. Because of this service, I sold my wife's Chevy and bought her an MDX. Keep the extra 1 second quarter mile and 100 hp. I guess I like eating steak instead of hamburger, even though they are both beef.

I used to visit those forums a lot when I was looking to buy a vette (cos I could not afford an NSX at the time). While there are some very knowledgable people there, most of them are just plain ignorant about what makes a great car - and trying to convice them otherwise is akin to clamping your manhood in a vice.

If HP is THE defining factor buy a truck, you'll be king. :wink:

I didn't see too many negative comments about the NSX. For the most part, they were defending it against a select few. I do agree with them on some points that the NSX needs an increase in horsepower, but don't we all.

Simple. Horsepower is a part of the prestige and allure of an exotic sports car, the same as having 10 or 12 cylinders. Low weight, while actually superior to equivalent additional power, is not a bench-racing stat and I believe many people view low-weight as being flimsy or even cheap (oh the irony...). Also, drag-limited top-speed, another popular benchracing stat, is indeed a function purely of power and drag. It explains why NASCAR-loving V8 owners would dismiss the NSX without a second thought (and I mean that literally heh heh).

The Porsche and BMW owners typically understand, maybe that's why the NSX is generally respected in those camps.

i think the power to weight ratio is the most important. you dont need alot of hp if you have a light car. just look at lotus or half the line in the vauxhall camp. as for lack of respect because of less horse power. thats all some people know. when they look for cars they just look to see how much hp they have not caring about anything else.

I was surprised at the one comment about the NSX being dated when it first came off of the production line- wasn't it a faster and superior handling car than most Ferraris at that time? The NSX had 25 hp and was a half second faster in the 1/4 than the Corvette when it was released in 1990. Even the S2000 or Accord today are faster than a 1990 Corvette in the 1/4 mile.

True, it needs a little more of an update than the new look (350-400 hp would probably do just fine), but it's still a fast car for the track and even the drag strip.

Depends on which Corvette you're talking about. The one closest to price and performance was the ZR-1 and that particular model was slightly better in performance in all of the bench racing stats.

Back