• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is replacing the entire stereo system the way to go?

Hi Old Friends, and new friends too.

I still have my '92 NSX and am getting it back into driving shape, which didn't require much as it has been a garage queen for a couple years. But now I am faced with what the Acura Dealer said was a failed head unit on the stereo. (The symptom was I was barely getting any sound from the stereo system anywhere). I have looked at some of the options here and contacted a few people for additional information; however I contacted a shop in Raleigh, NC who has done several NSXs before and they recommend just abandoning the old system and putting in a new one from scratch. It is something that I hadn't considered before. It seems a shame to waste a subwoofer and door speakers which are in good shape as far as I know but with the proprietary nature of Bose systems maybe it is the thing to do. Is there anywhere to just get the head unit checked and repaired if needed? If not what experiences have you all had going all the way with a new system completely. I am trying to keep this project under $1000 by all means.

Thanks again old and new friends,

Bill.
92 Red/Black
Basch Supercharger
Comptech 6 Speed tranny with 4.55 R&P

I would ask local nsx owner if they would lend you their radio for you to test in your car. If their radio work then your is dead.
Or
You can contact these people four a quote.
http://www.willmanselectronics.com/nsx.htm

Other member had used them to test stock radio before. Don't know the fee though. If you like to keep it ascmuch factory as you can, this is your only route.

A local electronics store swears they can fix my head unit. I am giving them a try. If they cannot, I am going to Daryl at Willmans. I think his upgrade is intriguing at $750.

the head unit suffers capacitor leaks just as much as the rest of the NSX circuits...

A local electronics store swears they can fix my head unit. I am giving them a try. If they cannot, I am going to Daryl at Willmans. I think his upgrade is intriguing at $750.

Yea, the upgrade is temping. Daryl says the head units aren't fixable anymore, he is pushing everyone to the upgrade which is likely the best thing to do. I should really get wheels and tires first though...

Update on original post.

When I saw the thing at Williams I did send them an email regarding specifics and I am awaiting a return email from them. I am a little worried about reliability and the apparent newness of it.

I don't know if I should worry about keeping my car stock because so many mods have been made to the power train.

I don't know anyone locally who has an NSX. I am in Raleigh-Durham, NC. There is a black one I see around sometimes.

Thanks for all your input.

BHarpe.

When I saw the thing at Williams I did send them an email regarding specifics and I am awaiting a return email from them. I am a little worried about reliability and the apparent newness of it.

I don't know if I should worry about keeping my car stock because so many mods have been made to the power train.

I don't know anyone locally who has an NSX. I am in Raleigh-Durham, NC. There is a black one I see around sometimes.

Thanks for all your input.

BHarpe.

BHarpe -

I think it comes down to personal preference. That said, if I can fix the original and run bluetooth through it (phone, music) then I am doing that. I like Willman's concept. He hinted at a price increase. Until he gets enough done and with a history under his belt, I would think that would be business suicide. My pain point is below $750 hence the rebuild first. I have cores I can send him (he pays $100/per) but with current demand, his preference is/he is asking people to just send their own in.

I will report out when I get my stereo back. I have several sets of speakers as well and that will be my next project. Well, that and new leather seats and seat heaters (as if we need them in these cars.)

You can alway say, "screw it" and go with double din aftermarket. More feature and function. Bluetooth and all.

I'd invest the $750.00 in another kind of electronic upgrade.
the bluetooth option is nice and accessibility to songs is good, but that USB access is horrible.

I'm doing my 2nd upgrade with a Pioneer AppRadio4 :biggrin:

Last edited:
I just posted something over here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/189528-Troubleshooting-OEM-sound-system that you might find useful. You might want to talk to Prime User BrianK who fixes both the door amps and head units for a very reasonable cost. I eventually went with OEM head unit and door/sub speakers and converted to aftermarket amp behind the driver seat and added the SOS iPod adapter thing. It's probably $300-400 for a good quality multi-channel amp plus a wiring kit plus SOS adapter kit for the head unit .. so, if you're handy, it can be done well below your budget and still keep aftermarket look. Would be easy to upgrade door speakers at the same time. You'd also be well prepared for a sub upgrade like Angus was offering but that would cost you several hundred more $$. Search Prime for 'Grom' and there's a thread where people are trying to include all the latest BT functionality as well.

If you want to go overboard by spending a lot of money to replace the entire system, well, that's one option. But you really don't need to. You can send the speaker-amps and head unit to NSXprime username BrianK. He will replace the capacitors (which leak, the main problem afflicting the system after 10-15 years) and make everything as good as, or better than, new. That's what he did with mine, and it was fine ever since. All the information is on his website at nsxe-repair.com.

If you like, you can also send him your climate control board and he can refurbish that at the same time. If it doesn't need it yet, it will.

I had a long chat with Daryl Willman last week about head unit repair.
He feels the oem units are pretty much unrepairable at this stage.
His suggested replacement for our oem units is nicely shown in the video on his website.

What I can add that's new, is Daryl said some of the components for his revised NSX unit are being discontinued so his supply of that option may be limited down the road.

I had a long chat with Daryl Willman last week about head unit repair.
He feels the oem units are pretty much unrepairable at this stage.
His suggested replacement for our oem units is nicely shown in the video on his website.

What I can add that's new, is Daryl said some of the components for his revised NSX unit are being discontinued so his supply of that option may be limited down the road.

I have a Willman's upgrade in my 91, which I'm pretty happy with, and it retains the OEM look. He used a Clarion FZ502 - HD Bluetooth, Sirius USB/MP3/WMA
The only control that remains functional is the On/Off/Volume control, the rest is via a remote. My only wish was that I could have retained control of the OEM Multi CD unit, but with the incorporation of USB/Bluetooth into radios its made the external CD control a thing of the past.
IMG_20150328_160629195_HDR.jpgIMG_20150502_112539853_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

I am dying to hear how this goes. Please post the results!

Do all the buttons and letters still light up in red?

I have a Willman's upgrade in my 91, which I'm pretty happy with, and it retains the OEM look. He used a Clarion FZ502 - HD Bluetooth, Sirius USB/MP3/WMA
The only control that remains functional is the On/Off/Volume control, the rest is via a remote. My only wish was that I could have retained control of the OEM Multi CD unit, but with the incorporation of USB/Bluetooth into radios its made the external CD control a thing of the past.
View attachment 124141View attachment 124142

Back