• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is there a time limit for filing a collision claim? (USAA)

Almost 90 days ago, I was lightly in the rear while backing into a spot in a parking lot. The damage to my baby was very light, but to the other car, the damage was over 1800+. Can I still file this with USAA? We never filed a police report BTW.

Thanks,
Jeff

I am insured with USAA also and would recommend calling the 800 number and ask them. They are usually pretty good about that kind of stuff.

Rob

i wouldn't wait any longer to get on this.....the longer you wait, the more questions they'll have.

furthermore, your recollection of the details of the accident may be blurred over time....

yes u can

You were "lightly in the rear" Very descriptive?

I guess you are talking about a Collision claim with your own carrier? Let me clue you in---the police will not even come to a parking lot accident much less write a report unless injury is involved. Your carrier will want to know what info you obtained from the other vehicle driver regardless as to who was at fault. If
the other driver was at fault, they will want to subrogate to get your deductible and the money they pay out back. If you were at fault they will want the info to not only handle your collision claim but to also contact the other driver or carrier to inspect that vehicle and pay for damages.

Parking lot accidents are a pain--unless your car was parked and empty, people are not usually very honest when they report the "facts" to their own carrier. If you were both backing up when the accident took place-I typically call it a 50/50 situation unless there is a solid unbiased witness who can attest one vehicle was already out and stopped when the other vehicle backed out etc.... In a 50/50 we pay 50% of the other parties damages---I am a claims adjuster----CA has a pure comparative negligence law and so any degree of fault can be attributed to either driver....

If the other driver was at fault and you have his insurance info, then have you made a claim with his carrier? If they do not accept liability then they may be going back against your own carrier to collect and then your own carrier will not be at all happy with you for not reporting---slap on hand ------

You have to read your policy language to determine your obligations for reporting accidents in a timely fashion. USAA has a right to disclaim for an untimely report and there should be a provision in the policy setting forth a time period. If it says language such as "within a reasonable time period" or similar generic time frames you may be able to argue that you were going through the other driver's policy.

Your post does not specify how the incident happened and whether it was your fault. If it is even partially your fault and you did not report it to USAA, you could face even more problems than trying to just get your own damage repaired. It is one thing to argue that you thought the other driver would pay your damage and something quite different to expect USAA to pay the other driver's claim against you.

If you get the damage to your car repaired under your own policy and USAA subrogates, just be aware that they could take less than 100 cents on the dollar just to resolve the claim and that percentage will be applied to your deductible reimbursement. In other words, if you are completely without fault make sure your carrier knows that you want the full 100% in a subro action.

Bob

On above---an insurance company will almost never deny coverage unless their ability to investigate is severely prejudiced. On the collision side because it is a contract, you basically have 6 years before any statute of limitations would expire. In CA you have a 3 year statute of limitations to present any Property Damage claim you may have against a responsible party. The first is based upon contract and the 2nd is based upon tort law.....

Also on above, the other parties carrier may try to collect back damages from you or your carrier and once again, your carrier will not deny coverage even if reported to them very late because---they can still get your statement, the other carrier will provide their side of the accident along with the damage info..On your own car you should at least have gotten photos of the damage and an estimate----if your carrier believes the damage was caused by more than one occurrence then they may apply more than one deductible. I have commercial insureds who report multiple losses to RV units a year after multiple damages...

Guys, I appreciate the detailed and very informative responses. I didn't provide more information because I didn't think it was relevent, but essentially I am completely at fault. I reversed out of a spot, and hit my friends car. I totally missed him in my field of view when I looked behind me. He was not moving. We didn't report it initially because there wasn't much damage to my vehicle. (Just a couple small gashes in the bumper) which could most likely be painted over and wouldn't look to bad. However he just finished shopping around for estimates and they came in around 2000$. Given the high cost of fixing his car, I decided to file it under my insurance and get my car fixed at the same time. I have yet to get an estimate on my car.

Thanks for the help
Jeff

If you are at fault it may be better for you to settle privately. To avoid a rate increase. JMO

ditto that....my friend (very young male) rear ended another lady and literally totalled his own front end.

he settled privately and paid every penny due......expensive but kept his record clean.....there are some things $$$ can buy...:)

I've been with USAA for years, not only with my cars, but also with my home, etc. They are a fantastic company. However, with the insurance climate as it is today, I would take the advice of the others here and really consider doing this on your own. Not only do you have to consider rate a increase, but perhaps the possibility of not having them insure you in the future.

My wife had an accident not too long ago and called USAA to ask some questions. Next thing I know is they are filling a claim. I had to call them and let them know that there wasn't a claim, we just wanted information.

For us, it wasn't worth while to file and risk the possibility of rate increases. Of course, her accident only cost a few hundred dollars.

Good luck. I am sure USAA will work with you.

In Homeowners your coverage can be non-renewed for any or no reason--not the case in Auto coverage--you won't lose your policy but your rate will go up if you make a claim for your own car (because it was your fault) and also if they pay out on your friend's car.

If you chose to pay for the damage yourself then have PDA --Property Damage Appraisers get an estimate for you and then if there is any "supplement" they will reinspect on your behalf. Your friend may also want a rental car while his car is in the shop and you would owe for that...Hopefully he was not in the car and thus would not be making any Bodily Injury claim.

Back