• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is there switched and constant 12 volts in trunk?

Looking to install this XM unit in my 2002:

http://www.myradiostore.us/xm-radio-receivers/xm-commander.html

I think the remote mounted controller will fit nicely in the ash tray/cig lighter area and I want to mount the hide away tuner box in the trunk. This should plug and play nicely with the Blitzsafe AUX input I just installed. The question is, is there constant and switched 12 volts already in the trunk? If there is, where can I tap into it?

Thanks for any help!

Yes there is. On the driver side toward the engine there is a plug. It's behind the trunk carpet. I kind of remember it being brown and I am not sure what it is used for. I don't remember how many pins or much more detail than that but I believe it had both switched and constant 12v. Someone might be able to chime in on this but it's real easy to find if you carefully remove the trunk carpet and fold it down to see what's behind.

You can carefully lift the trunk weatherseal up in the top left corner if you are facing the trunk. Ok, I think I found a picture of it. Please see the red arrow in the picture attached. I believe I used a male quick disconnect to tap power like the one on the left below:

pRS1C-2266753w345.jpg

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 220
I'm using these wires to run a water pump for an intercooler. There are two wires here that are switched with the ignition. I'm in the process of switching it with a relay to run only when the engine is running.
Does anyone know how many amps it these wires are rated for???

Resurrecting this thread from the dead. Looking to hook up my backup camera to a switched source and I can't seem to find one. The brown connector mentioned above in post #2 is constant power. Is there another connector back there that is switched? Thanks in advance.

Resurrecting this thread from the dead. Looking to hook up my backup camera to a switched source and I can't seem to find one. The brown connector mentioned above in post #2 is constant power. Is there another connector back there that is switched? Thanks in advance.

That’s the right connector. It’s on the drivers side, closer to engine bay. It’s referred to as the cell phone power accessory and has 4 pins. I am 100% sure there are pins for constant, switched (ig2), and ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That’s the right connector. It’s on the drivers side, closer to engine bay. It’s referred to as the cell phone power accessory and has 4 pins. I am 100% sure there are pins for constant, switched (ig2), and ground.

Thanks for the assist. I tried many times and all i could get was constant, nothing switched. Finally said forget it and just ran some wire to the fuse block in the engine bay. All set now. Thanks.

There is 12V switched power at C538 in the front left of the trunk. This connector is for the cellular phone. It is a brown 4 pin connector, one pin is constant and the two pins closest to the barb are switched.

It is powered by Fuse 15 (20A located in engine compartment, lowest right) and the relay switch is powered by Fuse 8 (10A located in the Interior fuse block). If you don't have switched power then one of those fuses has blown.

The constant 12V is powered by Fuse 34 (15A located in the Under-Hood Fuse/Relay Box).

I don't know if other years number the connectors differently, but in my 1997-2022 electrical manual, that 4-pin brown connector is C535, for the cellular phone.
I used it to wire rear DRL's:
Note that this switched power at C535 switches on with position 1 (accessory) not just with II (ignition on.)

Last edited:
Back