• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this NSX price too good to be true?

It’s a 1999 with 82,000km on it and he’s asking $42,500 CAD. It seems to be the correct range according to the pricing guide (but the pricing guide is for US cars). I doubt he’s had the timing belt/water pump done.

Does the clutch have to be replaced if it’s not slipping?! Or is it replaced when you do the timing belt/water pump?

If there is no records, dealer rates parts and labor for the Clutch is about $4K and TB $1800.

I would price this into the car, or simply payup and buy one with records.

If that's for sale in Canada, then yes it's probably too good to be true. Can you post a link?

Clutch needs replacing when the clutch fails.

Yes it is in Canada. I thought it was fishy as well. That's why I posted the message.

I waiting on the owner to respond to my e-mail.

By the way, what's TB. I assume it means Throttle Body?!

By the way bjmills, are you suppose to put Kanata. Isn't it part of Ottawa? :tongue:

Maybe one of Toronto guys will go take a look for you. If all is legit, this would appear to be an excellent deal. Perhaps the seller has no idea what his car is actually worth.

You may want to get the VIN and research the car based on that.

He also says the car has both "82000 mi" and "82,000 km". Might want to find out which it is.

Maybe one of Toronto guys will go take a look for you. If all is legit, this would appear to be an excellent deal. Perhaps the seller has no idea what his car is actually worth.

You may want to get the VIN and research the car based on that.

He also says the car has both "82000 mi" and "82,000 km". Might want to find out which it is.

Yah I'll do my home-work before purchasing. I've sent him an e-mail I'm just waiting on his response.

Good catch, I noticed that too in the article, about the miles vs km discrepancy. I've asked him about it.

I'm actually going to Toronto at the end of this week for a prior engagement. So this works out well. If they guy responds I'll go take a look at it.

There is only 1 photo in the ad, and this is the description:
6 speed-Manual, 2 dr.,3.2, 6 cyl., All the toys, Black interior, Black exterior, Targa top, 6 disc CD changer. All orininal, no accident, never winter driven. 82000 mi. Extras: Wings West body kit and Orig. 99 NSX Rim& tire. $42,500 OBO 82,000 km. $42,500 416-677-4910. [email protected] (DDJNPF).

I know I'm getting old and my eyes are not as good as they use to be, but I don't see any Wings West body kit in the photo. The wheels are not 99 OEM wheels. I thought 99 OEM wheels don't have lips and should have 7 spokes. Description and photo don't match. Am I missing something? What's that fishy smell?

I spoke to the owner, it sounds like a fairly nice car, no service records. It well worth looking into it, keep it mind it's 82000 miles.

The price is very good if there are no stories, and body work.

Bram

Yah I'll do my home-work before purchasing. I've sent him an e-mail I'm just waiting on his response.

Good catch, I noticed that too in the article, about the miles vs km discrepancy. I've asked him about it.

I'm actually going to Toronto at the end of this week for a prior engagement. So this works out well. If they guy responds I'll go take a look at it.

I spoke to the owner, it sounds like a fairly nice car, no service records. It well worth looking into it, keep it mind it's 82000 miles.

The price is very good if there are no stories, and body work.

Bram

Thanks Bram, oh so it's a U.S. car and no service records. Kinda explains the lower price for a 1999.

I'd think for a car, like the NSX, the lower KMs are more important than more recent model. Unless of course you really want a 3.2L over a 3.0L. Right?

Last edited:
I know I'm getting old and my eyes are not as good as they use to be, but I don't see any Wings West body kit in the photo.QUOTE]

I spoke to the owner and he does not have the Wings West kit installed on the car but he did buy it and did not get around installing it. He said he will sell the kit with the car.

So if this car checks out. i.e. do a carfax / carproof check, I get a PPI by an Acura dealership and it drives fine. Would you guys consider this?

I was thinking of offering about $4,000 less than what he's asking since he's got no records and probably no TB / water pump done.

Now I'm worried, since he's got no service records and it's got 132,000 km on it. If the TB / water pump was never done, maybe the engine is toast.

Last edited:
So if this car checks out. i.e. do a carfax / carproff check, I get a PPI by an Acura dealership and it drives fine. Would you guys consider this?

I was thinking of offering about $4,000 less than what he's asking since he's got no records and probably no TB / water pump done.

Now I'm worried, since he's got no service records and it's got 132,000 km on it. If the TB / water pump was never done, maybe the engine is toast.

Also do autocheck. No sure what carproff assuming a lien, a lien is not a big deal it can be transfered or pay the car of he can overnight the lean.

I would not be concerned about the engine, timing belts breaking is a rare occurance. Me personaly I perfer to buy one with records that way I know the owner has not neglicted anything major, just some peace of mind. If the price is right it may be a good deal.

If the TB is original - that is a serious concern. But as long as the TB is OK no harm to the engine has occurred. You are just taking a risk that the TB breaks and causes very expensive damage to the engine.

Hey guys,

I've been "speaking" to the owner by e-mail, the car is still for sale. He had a perspective buyer, but they couldn't come to a conclusion on the price.

Just to refresh your memory:

It's a 1999 NSX black/black, he's asking $42,500 CAD
-It's got 82,000 miles (not 82,000 km)
-No service records
-Timing belt, water pump and clutch are all original
-It's got Wings West (but not installed on the car)
-He's got aftermarket rims and OEM rims

This is a quote from his e-mail about the perspective buyer:
A potential buyer for the car had the car inspected by Acura this morning for mechanical and body damages and the outcome is that the car is flawless, absolutely mint, "probably the cleanest NSX ever came through this dealership" said the Inspector.

If we come to a price agreement I'm still going to have my own independent PPI done by another Acura dealership.

What's a good compression test numbers for these cars?
Beside the compression test is there anything else I can have the dealer check (related to engine and/or transmission)?

Thanks for you help guys! This is the picture of the car

Attachments

• 6729986.jpg.fpx.jpg
    6729986.jpg.fpx.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Just

1.) Look or get someone you trust to look at it
2.) Get Acura to inpect it and then talk to them on the phone
3.) Compression test is a little pricey, but will give you valuable info. Ask if the price is negotiable after the test and inspection is done.

Have fun.

Hey guys,

I've been "speaking" to the owner by e-mail, the car is still for sale. He had a perspective buyer, but they couldn't come to a conclusion on the price.

Just to refresh your memory:

It's a 1999 NSX black/black, he's asking $42,500 CAD
-It's got 82,000 miles (not 82,000 km)
-No service records
-Timing belt, water pump and clutch are all original
-It's got Wings West (but not installed on the car)
-He's got aftermarket rims and OEM rims

This is a quote from his e-mail about the perspective buyer:
A potential buyer for the car had the car inspected by Acura this morning for mechanical and body damages and the outcome is that the car is flawless, absolutely mint, "probably the cleanest NSX ever came through this dealership" said the Inspector.

If we come to a price agreement I'm still going to have my own independent PPI done by another Acura dealership.

What's a good compression test numbers for these cars?
Beside the compression test is there anything else I can have the dealer check (related to engine and/or transmission)?

Thanks for you help guys! This is the picture of the car

I guess this car is okay...no service records would bug me. The timing belt, clutch, and water pump will be expensive services for sure if required.

I still think your paying alot for a car with no records and the possibility of alot of maintenance work and higher mileage just because its in Canada. If it were me I'd get one in the U.S. that's a wee bit older (in the event you wanted a NA2) and bring it back with you. Take a weeks holidays and enjoy the experience.

FYI...my NA1 91 NSX w/63,000 miles was less than $29K Cdn and it was mint with ALL services done, previous owner receipts and paperwork, plus mods...something to think about.

Lot's of the Canadian guys have gone into the U.S. and brought back NSX's and there are a few good threads in the Canadian section stating how to do it. Relatively easy process and worth it. For $42,500 CDN I'd save my money, save until the end of the year, and pick up a +02 model in the $50 range...lower mileage and most likely all paperwork from its previous owners.

my $0.02

If carfax checked out and the Acura dealership says the car is okay. I was thinking of offering him about $37,000 CAD. Because I'm estimating it'll cost me about $4,000 CAD for the TB and water pump and some other misc. stuff.

I admit the kms are a bit high, at 130,000km.
But I don't think the price is too far off, is it. Let's say I get something from the U.S. for about $42,000 US, I'm looking at 6.1% duty ($2,562), then about $1,000 in fees (RIV, excise tax, recall letter and other misc. little things), GST at the border ($2,100), shipping cost ($2,800) or driving cost ($300 gas and $900 for a flight down to the U.S.).
So I'm looking at an extra $6862 to $8,462 in fees, taxes and transportation. This means I'd have to find U.S. car in the $33,xxx to $35,xxx.
Is my math okay?!

Last edited:
your math sounds right to me, your offer sounds good, make sure you are leaving room for him to counter as if it was me I would be ok with loosing some due to lack of maint. at the same time I wouldn't wanna completely pay for the deffered maint. on a car I am selling... to me 1/2-2/3 is fair for the old owner to cover and still gets you a fair deal. This is the route I tell all my customers to follow when buying a used car outside of our dealership.

Back