• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Isaac device feedback?

I currently have a 5 pt setup in my NSX. I track it a fair amount and after reading some of the risks of BSF with a 5-pt and a frontal impact - I'm thinking that some sort of HNR device is a good call. The Isaac device looks like a promising candidate that isn't a full blown $1000 HANS device. For $275 you can get the base IsaacLink device that seems to perform very well in a standardized set of tests at the SAE International Motorsports Engineering Conference & Exposition.

http://isaacdirect.com/

Chart1.GIF

It does have some disadvantages because it doesn't just "come off" when you take off the belts. Other than that, it looks pretty good. I'm thinking this is a must have for this track season.

Can anyone provide any feedback or experience?

I don't know much about the link deal but on first glance, it seems a little too good to be true. Suffice it to say there is plenty of controversy with Isaac in general. They have an apparent design advantage and the guys who have the top of the line unit are very vocal and committed (fanatical?) about them. Most of the rest of us go with the HANS or similar because they are single point release, a mandated feature in most racing series.

As you've suspected, there is no single choice for everyone. Each driver has to answer some questions for himself. Will you or a safety worker be able to release the Isaac quickly in the worst case scenario of a fire? What are the odds of you as a track day non-racer ever being in that worst case scenario? But these are secondary quesitons to the important one you've answered; do I need a H&N device.

If you want to read all the pro's and con's from both sides, go to ApexSpeed.com and do a search. There are several threads; at least 2 of them are quite long.

If you want to be different, look into the Leatt device. It's got a whole new twist and we're waiting to see where that goes.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

I swear by my HANS, not that I have needed it:rolleyes: Good fit, easy to put on and there is a real sense of safety with the device.

I agree with stuntman, go with the known quantity even if it cost a bit more.

Back