• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

It's a dangerous world out there - especially for the NSX...

So I drive my car this morning for the first time in two weeks and almost have an encounter with a shovel broken into on the freeway. The car in front of me and I manage to avoid it, but the truck behind me wasn't paying attention and clipped it, sending it flying into another lane. It then hits the side of one car and continues flying toward other cars. I don't know how many cars got hit by the flying shovel head, but it looked like a pinball game on the freeway. :eek:

I hope no one got killed by this lethal object this morning. I'm very thankful I managed to avoided it. Afterward, I called 911 to report a very hazardous road condition and am put on hold for 5 minutes. Glad no one was dying while I was on hold.

It seems like freeways are getting more dangerous as compared to a few years ago. There must be a lot more incompetent drivers on the road these days. :mad:

I totally agree.

1) Had a flying 6ft plastics hit my M and made a slash across the hood and front bumper
2) Had a round cooler jumping on the freeway when it came off a truck. I tried my best to avoid it without hitting other cars, but it made a dent to the front bumper of the rental car. Luckily, I had a cool relative with a body shop in the area to fix the dent within 30 minutes.

I hear you...its like being in a video game here on the AZ roads and freeways...whether im in my truck or my car it seems like everyday I will avoid stupid drivers and things laying in the middle of the freeway. Other then Cali, AZ has by far the worst traffic BS to weed through to try and get where you are going (of places I have driven). :mad:

Not too long ago I was cruising along the freeway in my car in moderate traffic going 65-70 and watched a full Igloo cooler fall off of a work truck right in front of me! :eek: I had to downshift and floor it to jump over a lane since there was a car next to me and cut that person off, I came within a few inches of nailing it...the minivan behind me hit it head on since they had no where to go...It was crazy, that cooler flew up at least 15 feet up in the air and I am certain other people hit that thing too. :frown:

When ever I see these things happen, I always thank God that I got through OK and hope anyone else can avoid injury and damage.
I am glad you are OK, and I hope no one else was injured! Take Care!

Yesterday, two men riding in a van (driving in the carpool lane) were decapitated by a clamp that fell from a big rig coming from the opposite direction. The clamp went through the windshield, killed the front passenger AND the man behind him! This was in the local news, and it happened on Interstate 5 in Southern California. As I was watching the story, I was thinking what the best response would be? Hit the brakes? Swerve into another lane and risk a collision? Or duck?? Any thoughts?

c-dog said:
Yesterday, two men riding in a van (driving in the carpool lane) were decapitated by a clamp that fell from a big rig coming from the opposite direction. The clamp went through the windshield, killed the front passenger AND the man behind him! This was in the local news, and it happened on Interstate 5 in Southern California. As I was watching the story, I was thinking what the best response would be? Hit the brakes? Swerve into another lane and risk a collision? Or duck?? Any thoughts?

I heard about it last night on the radio while driving home. This story came to mind just after my close call.

As far as how to avoid something like what happened yesterday, if it happens quickly enough, sometimes you don't have time to think, only to react. I hope I could react in the correct way if confronted with chunk of metal headed for my windshield. IMHO, the only things to do while driving is keep alert (have a good situational awareness) and pray you stay safe. It also helps to practice avoidance techniques so they become second nature.

A few years back some moron was moving all of his stuff from LA to San Diego in the back of his dad's pickup. He didn't even bother to tie any of it down. We were in the carpool lane and he was in the #3 lane.

All of a sudden, a chair and a coffee table come flying out of the truck. I can't go left (retaining wall), can't go right (cars next to me), all I can do is try and swerve and slow down within the limited confines of my lane. Of course the table takes a bounce and comes rocketing at my then new Lexus.

Well.. to make a long story short we nailed the table. Fortunately, it only hit our bumper. It could easily have taken another hop and come into our windshield and really caused some terrible damage.

We pull over, get the driver's information and agree to handle it out of pocket (ie not get the insurance involved). STUPID MOVE!

This a-hole refuses to return calls so I get the police and insurance involved. Of course he claims it wasn't him and since the total damage was $600 the insurance company (AAA, the rat fink bastards) decline to pursue as legal costs outweigh the benefits of doing what is right.

I end up eating the costs of another man's utter stupidity.

The moral of the story is that while I was very thankful that my wife and I were ok, I will no longer trust my fellow man when it comes to things like this.

I now carry a disposable camera in all of my cars. I will call the police in the instance of any thing happening.

And... drivers today are stupid.

I'm just glad that you and your beautiful new car are safe.

HMMm... Do I have to bring out polar's story again?? Someone dropped his mountain bike on freeway, polar hit it head on at 70mph...
Thank god, the bike burnt his Audi S4 to the ground, he's been happy with his White 93 nsx since.

In case you guys missed this story.

I have to confess something; my first reaction this morning was to be more concerned about my car than my own safety. But after I had returned to my senses, I was glad I and others were OK; at least from what I could see behind me. No telling how many other drivers may have been affected by this flying gillatine this morning. I just hope 911 and the CHP took care of this hazard quickly.

NSXDreamer2 said:
HMMm... Do I have to bring out polar's story again?? Someone dropped his mountain bike on freeway, polar hit it head on at 70mph...
Thank god, the bike burnt his Audi S4 to the ground, so he's been happy with his White 93 nsx.

In case you guys missed this story.

Hadn't come across that story. The bike resulted in a burnt car ... wow... glad he's ok.

While driving the freeway this afternoon, we narrowly avoided a brand new sink that fell off a vehicle. The sink had been run over by another vehicle so it was dented, and its box was in pieces around the same area. It's dangerous out there! People who don't carefully ensure their loads are secure may cause some serious injuries or damage! :(

NsXMas said:
While driving the freeway this afternoon, we narrowly avoided a brand new sink that fell off a vehicle. The sink had been run over by another vehicle so it was dented, and its box was in pieces around the same area. It's dangerous out there! People who don't carefully ensure their loads are secure may cause some serious injuries or damage! :(

Glad you are all ok. I'm telling you... a lot of drivers just don't think beyond their noses. Nor do they consider safety issues or think about anything except themselves. :mad:

sjones said:
seeing this thread made me think of the cardboard that came flying off of a truck 3 cars up from me. I avoided the big pieces but one managed to get me. It was just like you described with the pinball game.

you can see my misfortune here... its all repaired now.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48572

Sad... but at least you've got it fixed now...

What's that song by Blondie? Something like "one day... one day... we're going to get cha... get cha... get cha..." :D Sooner of later no matter how careful you are, you're going to get hit with something... :mad:

About 7 -10 years ago, a metal bracket of some sort fell off of a semi, and bounced under a Dodge Caravan and punched a hole in the gas tank. The van was filled well actually over filled with 2 adults, and a bunch of kids I think it was 8 or 9 total. The tank exploded, they crashed and burned!!! This happened on I94 near Milwaukee.

So sad...that's why I despise semi truck

RP-Motorsports said:
About 7 -10 years ago, a metal bracket of some sort fell off of a semi, and bounced under a Dodge Caravan and punched a hole in the gas tank. The van was filled well actually over filled with 2 adults, and a bunch of kids I think it was 8 or 9 total. The tank exploded, they crashed and burned!!! This happened on I94 near Milwaukee.

Not too long ago I saw a aluminum ladder in the middle of I-405!! Luckily, i saw no one make contact with it...
Here in California, people hauling anything have to secure and cover thier load! If you see someone who doesnt have thier crap secure and covered, call the state patrol, even if they probably wont respond. Who knows...

A couple years ago when I was working in insurance, I had a total come across my desk where the driver basically lost his head from a dresser that was standing upright in the freeway. It must have fallen off someones truck and managed to stay on its feet. The driver hit the dresser, and the one of the drawers shot right through the windshield and out the back window of his pickup (with his head somewhere in there too). :eek:

Sad, sad story.

Avoiding items on the freeway can be more difficult than crossing the street sometime.

2004-08-18freeway.jpg

Suspicious roadside object detonated; I-15 closed twice

By Joe Hughes
STAFF WRITER

August 18, 2004

JOHN R. McCUTCHEN / Union-Tribune
Debris lay on an exit ramp from Interstate 15 at Clairemont Mesa Boulevard yesterday after a second, successful attempt was made to detonate a suspicious object.
Interstate 15 near the Miramar Marine Corps Air Station was shut down twice and surrounding streets were blocked for hours yesterday morning after a suspicious object was found beside a freeway off-ramp.

The object turned out to be a string of milk cartons filled with sand.

Frustrated motorists – some of whom had to put up with a nearby closure on the freeway the day before – were not amused.

"I'm late for traffic court and I can't get out of here," said Peggy Marsh, who was sitting behind the wheel of her Lexus after giving up on finding an easy route to her appointment in Kearny Mesa from her home in Tierrasanta.

Marsh and countless others had to endure a miles-long detour after the device forced closure of Clairemont Mesa Boulevard, a major east-west artery, along with ramps to and from the freeway.

"I've been chewed out pretty good," said Harry Gold, a San Diego Police Department volunteer who was given the task of handling traffic control and calming upset drivers.

The worst part came more than an hour after the ramps were closed. That's when I-15 between state Route 52 and Balboa Avenue was closed twice as authorities tried to destroy the device.

The second shutdown was ordered when the first detonation didn't do the job.

Freeway traffic began reaching normal speeds shortly before noon – more than three hours after authorities were notified of the object.

The suspicious object was reported by a motorist on the exit ramp from northbound I-15 to Clairemont Mesa Boulevard about 8:30 a.m. After a California Highway Patrol officer was sent to take a look, authorities decided to close roads in the area and call the Metro Arson Strike Team's bomb squad.

"We were taking no chances, with terrorism always in the back of our minds," said Maurice Luque, spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. "What we had here looked like a real pipe bomb."

As curious workers from nearby offices lined a canyon rim to watch, emergency workers, some in protective clothing, carefully examined the object, which appeared to be about 10 inches long and 4 inches in diameter and was welded at each end.

At 10:30 a.m., the freeway was closed and authorities attempted to detonate the object. The freeway was briefly reopened, but when authorities saw that the object was not destroyed, the steps were repeated.

This time, the blast did the trick.

So what caused the mess? Officials said it was a string of milk cartons filled with sand, a rigging commonly used to weigh down tarps at construction sites.

It probably fell off a vehicle.

Monday morning, a 55-gallon drum containing detergent for concrete spilled onto a nearby stretch of I-15, forcing the closure of ramps near Route 52 from about 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.

more freeway crap

At one Caltrans office, the refrigerator in the break room was actually found on the freeway.
022401b3.jpg

A few minutes later and we find a twisted ladder that's been run over more than a few times.
022401b2.jpg

Robert Robinson / Truck Driver: "I couldn't go to the right 'cause I had the wall and I couldn't go to the left 'cause of the cars I had to hit it."

The debris has ripped off the truck's fuel tank. Diesel is spilling onto the road, so the CHP calls for a Hazmat team.

The cleanup team arrives as officers rush to build an earthen dam to stop the spill. With rain starting and the freeway already slick with diesel, we're lucky to avoid a major accident.

Neither the CHP nor Caltrans keeps annual records on how much mayhem is attributed to road debris. But looking at the reports at just one highway patrol office, we found accidents caused by everything from duffel bags to toilets to even a rabbit cage.

Now we did find the state of Texas keeps the numbers on accidents caused by debris. In 1996, four people in Texas died in those kinds of accidents and three 375 people were injured. Both numbers were dramatic increases from the year before.

Officers say one growing problem is many drivers aren't playing close attention to what's ahead. They're too busy talking on the phone or playing with their CD's, or breaking the speed limit.

Montey Hensley / CHP Captain: "If you are going at a fast pace and something falls off, the reaction time doesn't allow for them to do anything but run over it cause they don't want to cause a worse accident by trying to change lanes without doing it safely."

Road debris also creates a huge hazard for those who have to retrieve it.

Since 1972, thirty-six highway workers have been killed by errant drivers.
022401b4.jpg

c-dog said:

Chances are you wouldn't even see it coming until it was too late. :frown:

One time I was entering the freeway on a clover leaf, a friend of mine happened to be in the car right in front of me. we were both trying to merge, looking over our shoulder and back at the road while getting on the freeway.
well about the second or third time I look forward, I see a box of something bouncing off of the front right side of his car. well I slammed on the brakes and swerved enough onto the shoulder to clip the box which turned out to be filled with patio furniture. All of the plastic crap was destroyed needless to say because about five cars ended up creaming the damn thing. all that happened to my car was a small crack in the bumper paint and a knocked out fog light, no big deal. My other road debris story was when I was on the freeway going over a bridge where there are cement walls on both sides, so really nowhere to go. Suddenly the rear left wheel flies off of this Dodge RAM VAN and bounces off the left cement barrier and starts bouncing down the road pretty erratically, I think it was actually almost on top of this grand prixs hood until the guy slammed on the brakes, and to make it even better there's a Dodge RAM VAN with no wheel going all over the road, pretty much taking up both lanes of freeway across this bridge. Luckily nobody crashed because traffic was light, but it's amazing that this happens. Anyways just my freeway debris story, pretty tame to some of the other stuff posted on this thread.

Makes me wonder if $200-$300 tickets were the norm for failure to cover or secure a load the police would focus more on that than on somebody doing 80mph and not bothering anybody. Was behind a guy today with all kinds of house demolition debris in a trailer (including a toilet) totally uncovered & no ropes or tiedowns or anything. Wonder how much blew off & caused someone who came across it to swerve?

Back