• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

It's finally here! Windows Phone 7 Series

Last edited:
Just read the review. Meh. A big Meh. So it's almost as capable as an iPhone but matches the iPhone of two years ago. The UI looks slick but in practice has very little info per square inch due to the bigass tiles and huge fonts. You have to do a lot of finger swiping to get the info you need. Why MSFT released this without multitasking and copy/paste is unfathomable when the other two competitors have these features is beyond me.

I guess if you really must buy MSFT products it's ok. But I would think it would have to something a LOT better than the competition to make a difference. Oh I guess this instant on camera is nice.

As I said before at least MSFT had the guts to come up with their own UI instead of ripping off Apple. Of course that could be addressed in the courts though I'm not banking on it. I honestly don't get how Eric S is not liable for something here, after being on Apple's BOD for that period of time. Don't these clowns have to sign an NDA?

http://www.infoworld.com/t/mobile-platforms/why-im-returning-my-windows-phone-7-smartphone-774

Looks like Win Phone 7 was just some kind of bad April Fools joke sprung early. Shame I would have like to see BB and Android have more credible competition.

Microsoft promises to support on-device encryption in Windows Phone 7 in a future update. The company has also promised to add support for a slew of other omissions, including HTML5-based websites, Adobe Flash Player, devicewide search, multitasking, and copy and paste.

You act like the iphone was perfect when it first came out.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/reviews/2010/10/windows-phone-7-the-ars-review.ars/

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/reviews/2010/10/windows-phone-7-the-ars-review.ars/

I have no doubt Microsoft will make Win7 Mobile into a first class phone platform. It'll take them a year or two to catch up, but they will.

No I don't pretend the other phones were perfect. But if you're trying to salvage ones reputation, I just can't understand why MSFT would screw up a new product announcement with such glaring omissions. I think they might have been better off waiting 6 months. It's so hard to overcome a bad initial release. Microsoft doesnt have the old luxury of releasing crap and expecting people to wait until it's finally at a par with the competition. There is just too much good alternatives out there and MSFT has used up their reservoir of good will. How many bad initial reviews can they stand?

In a year once MSFT finally reaches par, the other phones will be that much further ahead.

Last edited:
You just can't show up this late to the party without bringing something badass and new to the table.

I'm disappointed too.

You just can't show up this late to the party without bringing something badass and new to the table.

I'm disappointed too.

Exactly. They brought a 1.0 product to the market when the rest of the world is already on 3.0 or 4.0. This phone would've been the bee's knees -- in 2007.

Here's what Windows Phone should have been (IMHO) -- a phone that integrates seamlessly with Office and Exchange. As much as folk like to wax on about Macs and Linux and what have you, in the business world it's still (and will be for a long time) all about Microsoft Office (especially Outlook), Exchange, and Windows. If the phone did nothing else except provide an extremely mobile, seamless, connection to those services, it could have been a winner, taking all their business from Blackberry. But it doesn't even do that well -- so who is this phone really for?

Last edited:
Yep! You don't get a second chance to make a great first impression.

And when it cones to phones MSFT has used up their first two chances.

Jim

ill be skipping this and getting an iPhone 4 this weekend. Ive used the Droid X but it doesnt stack up, to choppy and slow, the OS is a mess. Lacking many features the 4 has. My roomate bought the EVO 4G, but after a week he got rid of it canceled his sprint account and got an iPhone 4, same reasoning. When iPhone comes to verizon, android will lose half of its customers, who bought their android device because it resembled the iphone. 3 Million units sold doesnt lie..

ill be skipping this and getting an iPhone 4 this weekend. Ive used the Droid X but it doesnt stack up, to choppy and slow, the OS is a mess. Lacking many features the 4 has. My roomate bought the EVO 4G, but after a week he got rid of it canceled his sprint account and got an iPhone 4, same reasoning. When iPhone comes to verizon, android will lose half of its customers, who bought their android device because it resembled the iphone. 3 Million units sold doesnt lie..

What??

I have 32GB iPod Touch, 2G iPhone, 3GS iPhone. There is no freaking way I'd downgrade from Android to iPhone, no freaking way.

The iPhone is horribly stale, notifications are a horrid mess. The best thing about it is that I can get Android running on my jailbroken 2G iPhone... :biggrin:

I'd prefer iPhone to WP7, but Android rules them all, by far.

Last edited:

hmmm why would he downgrade from a evo 4g to a iphone 4? lol

I will admit that android is not perfect, but the only real advantage that the Iphone 4 has is the battery life, and that it runs smoother. Battery can be upgraded with a higher capacity unit ( not even possible on the iphone ) and the smoothness is only marginal difference at best.

^^ For people with a decade long investment in iTunes as a music manager, the iPhone has a huge advantage. I spend 1000x more time listening to music than talking on the phone and I'm not interested in carrying a separate iPod.

^^ For people with a decade long investment in iTunes as a music manager, the iPhone has a huge advantage. I spend 1000x more time listening to music than talking on the phone and I'm not interested in carrying a separate iPod.

+ iPod/iPhone interface in the car FTW!

Back