• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Iv drip question

So I want to drip young living essential oil into my air handling systems. I'm thinking I could use an IV bag but I have no idea what the drip rate is or if the drip rate could be adjusted, size of the drop etc. I want to only drop 7-12 drops per day into the filter so the smell is present but not over powering. I've been doing this by hand but it Its a bit of a PITA. I'd like to automate it if possible.

If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to suggestions. I have multiple air handling systems in my house and one of them is not easy to access, thus my wanting to get to it once with a full IV bag and not have to go up in that part of the attic for the rest of the winter.

Is it possible for an individual to buy medical stuff like that? If so where?

You may want to experiment with some kind of gravity drip through a small orifice like a hypodermic needle. At a few drops a day it's going to be tough to throttle down a regular IV bag drip that low.

Much will depend on the viscosity of the oil and that might help you. If you can find capillary tubing or various gauges of hypodermic needles, or even precision orifices - you might just be able to find the right size opening that will give you a drop every other hour. eBay has capillary tubing. If you know a someone who's a diabetic taking insulin maybe you could get a needle to try. Also keep in mind that the amount of oil in the container above the needle might affect the drip rate. There's also those precision micro oiler bottles that have thin capillary tubing dispensers for precise placement of oil (i.e. watch repair).

Just some ideas.

why not just use those pluggin aromatizers like glade sells...

why not just use those pluggin aromatizers like glade sells...

Multiple reasons. They stick off the wall and look like crap. I'm constantly bumping my leg on a few of them in the hall. The dog wags her tail and they go flying, have had a few break. I installed lit recepticals in my house. I can walk around at night without turning lights on but the glade thing blocks some of that light and leaves me without an additional plug. But the biggest reason is I love the smell of the local spa and they use essential oils there so I'm trying to mimic that soothing scent of purification.

How about squirting a few drops directly onto the filter as needed. The scent will the be sucked into the air handler and circulated throughout your house. You could probably use a water gun and shoot a few drops as needed every few days.

How about squirting a few drops directly onto the filter as needed. The scent will the be sucked into the air handler and circulated throughout your house. You could probably use a water gun and shoot a few drops as needed every few days.

Yes this is what I've been doing. However I have multiple systems in my house. The other ones are easy access but there is a system on the second floor which is serviced by a unit located in the far reachs of the attic. To go up there I have to go through the back of a closet, climb a ladder, get onto a landing in a light shaft, open a door and climb up from the landing to a catwalk, hands and knees across another catwalk, remove the cover for the hepa filter bank which slightly rubs on the ductwork so it has to be wiggled to get it out, drip it in then repeat everything in reverse. PITA to say the least. I've tried dripping the oil on a paper towel and placing it against a return grate in the second floor living area but the smell only lasts a few hours that way where as dripping it right on the filter lasts a day or more.

How about putting some on the dog's tail. They can fan it through the air as they walk through the house.

How about putting some on the dog's tail. They can fan it through the air as they walk through the house.

LOL. The dog doesn't like to smell good. When given a bath she immediately looks for something stinky to roll in.

without an expensive automated drip pump you will not be able to manualy adjust the basic iv setup to only drip 12 drops a day.seems like for the small area supplied by your pita air handler just do something local there are more elegant decorative air fresheners that use your essential oil idea that can be displayed on a table.....or strapped to a dogs back...

without an expensive automated drip pump you will not be able to manualy adjust the basic iv setup to only drip 12 drops a day.seems like for the small area supplied by your pita air handler just do something local there are more elegant decorative air fresheners that use your essential oil idea that can be displayed on a table.....or strapped to a dogs back...

Yes it looks like the pumps that feed very slowly are ultra expensive. I found a device on the net called acuset. It's a small dial that's placed over the line and can be dialed in manually but I can't find anything about flow rates. As well it looks like none of this stuff can be purchased without some sort of prescription or credentials. So I'm looking at watch oilers next.

Maybe try setting up an IV bag style thing, with a screw in the end of the tube. You can adjust the slow drip with the screw. It's crude, but the whole idea is to have a very slow leak. Depending on the fluid, even putting some paper or something in the end might work. The fluid will slowly soak through and drip. Just trying to spark some ideas.

It reminded me of my sister's rat's water bottle. The kind with the metal tube sticking out the bottom and a ball to seal. It's not a perfect system, and depending on how the ball is positioned, it'd leak slower or faster.

Mike B

Last edited:
If it's an oil,pour into a container, punch some holes into top, place in return shaft. It'll evaporate quite slowly. Adjust level of smell by # of holes.

Back