• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

J-Swap Motor Mount Adapter Kit

Any update on the wiring for the NA2? Currently have an AEM EMS, but will likely be changing out the ECU for something else (probably a Hondata unit).Looking at doing a J35 swap into a 2000-T. Thanks.

I am working on two 2001 NSX's right now that are both planning on using the AEM Infinity EMS with DBW and a J32A2 and FI.

Do you recommend the infinity over the Hondata unit? I figured the wiring would be a bit easier with the latter.

I would recommend the Infinity, Haltech or similar. As far as I know, Hondata does not make an ECU for the J32A2 or J35A3.

Stupid question but we can still use nsx clutch for this mount kit right? Buying new clutch when I do this swap and don't want to spend $2k for the nsx tranny when I don't have to.

Stupid question but we can still use nsx clutch for this mount kit right? Buying new clutch when I do this swap and don't want to spend $2k for the nsx tranny when I don't have to.

Good question. Yes, you will still use your NSX clutch and flywheel with a J-swap and this kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Post some better pics of your products installed

Will do. Thank you for pointing that out. I have posted so many pictures elsewhere, I have overlooked my own thread. Most of the parts are not easily visible once the J-series motor is installed, however I will post what I have.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
For the used J-series engine I recommend a minimum refresh of the engine to include the following:

Water pump
Timing belt and idlers
Intake plenum and valve cover gaskets
A/C, alternator belt and tensioner
Install 1991 - 2001 NSX water temp gauge sending unit
Spark plugs
Oil filter
Thermostat
Clean fuel injectors
Adjust valves
Rear main seal

For the used J-series engine you need a fairly complete engine, including intake manifold with throttle body, A/C compressor, alternator, engine wiring harness and J32A2 ECU if you are planning on running the factory ECU and a J32A2 or J35A3 engine.

For the actual J-swap the major parts you will need:
J-series engine
Motor mount adapter kit
Modified J-series engine harness
Oil pressure gauge relocation kit
Custom A/C lines
Custom exhaust adapters or headers
Custom cooling hoses from the J-series engine to the NSX chassis
Misc hoses and fittings for the fuel lines

Last edited:
Now for some pictures of the parts installed.

Remove the pilot bearing from the NSX flywheel.
20160425_121231_zpsjyi5t9bh.jpg

20160425_121237_zpsinolodj8.jpg

Install the new pilot bushing in the end of the J-series crank. Apply a small amount of grease inside pilot bushing.
20160419_152117_zpskwkgzztz.jpg

Clean any rust off the mating surface of the J-series crank and apply a light coat of oil.
20160425_121208_zps1i7xm83w.jpg

Install the right side motor mount adapter. (Note: The engine wire harness should be reinstalled before the right side motor mount adapter is installed.)
Leave the bolts loose until the right side motor mount is installed.
20160525_085931_zpslrewpxae.jpg

20160525_090003_zpswsjrlaax.jpg

Install the axle bracket. Leave bolts loose until the axle is installed and aligned.
20160426_132408_zpsa4rgihcv.jpg

20160426_133504_zpsq0aoxsne.jpg

Install the front motor mount adapter.
20160503_140620_zpsmoqpnoqe.jpg

A relief hole will need to be drilled into the J-series block here.
20160503_140641_zpsmvxxfmia.jpg

Loosely install the front motor mount adapter to mark the location of the relief cut.
20160525_092154_zpsoxbnhomh.jpg

Drill the relief cut in the J-series block. Don't worry about drilling all the way through, this hole goes into the bell housing.
20160503_141651_zps8hzhwldq.jpg

Loosely re-install the front motor mount adapter with the top and left bolts.
20160525_092154_zpsoxbnhomh.jpg

Install the front motor mount with all three bolts and snug, then torque down the top and left motor mount adapter bolts to hold it in place.
20160525_091147_zps8uuc9z85.jpg

Now remove the front motor mount, install and torque the third motor mount adapter bolt then re-install and torque the front motor mount.

You re-use your NSX transmission bolts to bolt the NSX transmission to the J-series block however one of the NSX transmission bolts is too short.
The lower bolt on the axle side of the block is too short, so a new longer bolt is supplied with the kit.
20160426_121722_zpseyntqi9s.jpg

20160426_121756_zpsxmt5bmt0.jpg

20160426_121740_zpshhugvlpp.jpg

20160426_124757_zpsj9jwluqx.jpg

The oil pressure gauge sending unit relocation kit is installed in-line to the J-series oil pressure light sending unit.
20160503_132055_zps7dhjda8i.jpg

20160503_132650_zpsdujvjpnl.jpg

20160503_133010_zpsvnc98hrq.jpg

20160503_133543_zpsgbcfsqye.jpg

20160505_171424_zpsf8si4qia.jpg

20160505_171458_zpshz1tixh7.jpg

A clamp is included with the oil pressure gauge sending unit relocation kit to mount the sending unit on the chassis instead of the block.
20160601_121156_zpsmw7wfizt.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you looking to build your own wire harness for the J32A2 or J35A3 to 1991-94 NSX, here are the main wiring plugs that you will need.

C101, C102 plugs in engine bay under main fuse box
C101 C102.jpg

C158 plug by ECU
C158.jpg

C159 plug by ECU
C159.jpg

C160 plug by ECU
C160.jpg

C161 plug by ECU
C161.jpg

VSS and Neutral switch
VSS Neutral.jpg

Post CAT O2 sensor
Rear O2 Sensor.jpg

Back up light switch, Oil Pressure sending unit
Backup_Light Fuel_Res Oil_Press_Gauge.jpg

A/C clutch
AC_Clutch.jpg

Last edited:
This is my first post ever on NSX Prime after lurking for YEARS. The NSX was the first vehicle I really fell in love with (aside from a DeLorean when I was like 6 six years old) but I've only seriously considered owning an NSX recently and the change-of-heart is largely prompted by the availability of this swap; I was always afraid of what would happen if the engine gave up the ghost years later. But it's good to know there are options now.

Now that you've been through this build a few times, have you found a good combination of engine components (heads, short blocks, ems, etc) that produces the most all-motor power with the least amount of headache? Been wondering about various EMS solutions, too. I see that you've done some builds with the AEM Infinity. Any gotchas with that solution? Highly recommended over the stock ECU? How is it on a daily driving basis?

Also, I see that I am close to you! I'm in Seattle. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, which is semi-often, I would love to meet up and check out the build!

Last edited:
This is my first post ever on NSX Prime after lurking for YEARS. The NSX was the first vehicle I really fell in love with (aside from a DeLorean when I was like 6 six years old) but I've only seriously considered owning an NSX recently and the change-of-heart is largely prompted by the availability of this swap; I was always afraid of what would happen if the engine gave up the ghost years later. But it's good to know there are options now.

Now that you've been through this build a few times, have you found a good combination of engine components (heads, short blocks, ems, etc) that produces the most all-motor power with the least amount of headache? Been wondering about various EMS solutions, too. I see that you've done some builds with the AEM Infinity. Any gotchas with that solution? Highly recommended over the stock ECU? How is it on a daily driving basis?

Also, I see that I am close to you! I'm in Seattle. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, which is semi-often, I would love to meet up and check out the build!

Butters, thank you for your post.

I have only used the J32A2 from the 2000-03 TL-CL Type-S and the J35A3 from the 2001-02 MDX. I have not mixed and matched parts yet, although there are many options. I am preparing a J35A3 for a FI setup as the next swap into my car. With this engine I am going with J32A2 cams, high rev valve springs, mild port and polish of the heads and intake, and I will bore out the intake manifold for a 70 mm throttle body.

I have also not used any aftermarket EMS yet. For my FI build I will be using an aftermarket EMS, however I have yet to decide on which one, AEM Infinity, VEMS, Haltech or ECU Master.

If you are in the Portland area, please let me know, I would be happy to show you the swap.

David

Last edited:
Any pics of the build?!

Man, you weren't kidding about the J engines being a dime a dozen. Found a handful near me that are about $400 a piece!

Man, you weren't kidding about the J engines being a dime a dozen. Found a handful near me that are about $400 a piece!

Yes, indeed. The ones I usually look for are the J35A3 from the 2001-2002 Acura MDX and the J32A2 from the 2001-2003 Acura TL/CL Type-S. These motors are DBC with iron cylinder liners and have individual exhaust ports in the heads.

Motor mount kits are back in stock!

J-Swap Motor Mounts, $999

This is the basic motor mount adapter kit that will allow you to bolt a Honda/Acura J-series motor into the NSX chassis. No modifications are made to the NSX and you re-use all of the original NSX motor mounts.

What’s included in the kit:

1. Front motor mount adapter
2. Right motor mount adapter
3. Axle half-shaft adapter
4. Pilot bushing
5. Throttle bracket adapter
6. Transmission bolt

JNSX MM kit.jpg

Last edited:
Back