• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just checked out the new NSX at the Detroit Auto Show

Just checked out the new NSX in Detroit yesterday and overall I love the car and hope to own one some day. I had a couple of things on the new car that I thought were disappointments and wanted to see if other Primers felt the same way.1) Keyhole on drivers door looks horrible. (looks to me like someone shot the car with a 22 during a drive by)2) Exterior door handles ( I was hoping for something that hides them/ integrates them like the gen 1 cars. They look kind of like those giant metal 370Z door handles to me)3) Windshield wipers ( I was hoping they would tuck under the back of the hood for a cleaner look.)Otherwise it is a fantastic looking vehicle.Thoughts?

Those are good details to notice and things I hadn't even thought to look for in pictures. Those are definitely "fine touches" that make the difference between a good car and a great car.

Door handles aren't my favorite detail, but they don't seem terrible. I'm surprised they couldn't figure out a clever way to integrate the lock into this piece of hardware! The wipers... are what they are!

Door handles aren't my favorite detail, but they don't seem terrible. I'm surprised they couldn't figure out a clever way to integrate the lock into this piece of hardware! The wipers... are what they are!
I don't hate the handles either. I was just hoping for a more integrated look. I think the Gen1 NSX handles are a great design aesthetic. It would have been nice to have seen something similar. Not trying to nitpick the car too much as overall I think it is stunning.

For want of a hidden keyhole, the sale was lost.
For want of a sale, a model was lost.
For want of a model, the dealership was lost.
For want of a dealership, the division was lost.
For want of a division, the brand was lost.
For want of a brand, the company was lost.
And all for the want of a hidden keyhole.

Don't even get me started on the wheel valve stems.

My problem is that once I notice things like the keyhole, when I look at it again, it is all I see. My eyes immediately go there. I hope this is not a completely finished product.

This car is a pre-production model. My guess is that their will be some minor changes to the actual production model such as the keyhole, the engine cover, maybe the steering wheel and interior trim, but nothing major. Hopefully they will clean up the front grilles so that they all blend together more uniformly.

image.jpg I was at the Detroit Auto Show on Wednesday and spent some time looking over the NSX. I agree the door handles seem at odds with the rest of the car. As I was daydreaming about the car, I realized the guy next to me was doing the same. I then recognized a fellow NSXER John Komar from North Carolina (small world) It brought back great memories of NSXPO 2013 I think the NSX and the new GT-40 were the two best cars at the show.

Last edited:
View attachment 120099 I was at the Detroit Auto Show on Wednesday and spent some time looking over the NSX. I agree the door handles seem at odds with the rest of the car. As I was daydreaming about the car, I realized the guy next to me was doing the same. I then recognized a fellow NSXER John Komar from North Carolina (small world) It brought back great memories of NSXPO 2013 I think theGT-40 and NSX, were the two best cars at the show.

There Ron, I fixed it for you!!!! :)

I agree with all three points of the OPs post. What makes it worst is that they ignored the original heritage of the NSX with these design flaws. These problems were resolved in 1989, yet here we are in 2015 looking at a problem that didn't exist on the original model. I'm certainly hoping that these issues can be cleared up before final production, but I think it is what it is

Back