• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Just published

Honda NSX to spearhead RWD model lineup
Apr 17th 2008 11:32AM by Damon Lavrinc

By most accounts, Honda originally planned to show off the next generation NSX to the seething throngs at last year's Tokyo Motor Show. But due to the less-than-positive reception the Advanced Sports Car concept garnered at the Detroit show, Honda's designers headed back to the drawing board to redesign the front clip housing the 550 hp, 4.5-liter V10.

Now, Autocar has gotten word from a Honda insider that the NSX is bound for the 2009 Tokyo show, sporting a new front end that "has Chevrolet Corvette undertones" and is slated to for production in the fall of 2010.

The new NSX will supposedly kick off Honda's first serious attempt at producing rear-wheel-drive vehicles to rival BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Infiniti, including new platforms that will underpin Acura's larger sedan offerings and an S2000-based Acura sports car that takes aim at the Mercedes SLK. The launch of Acura's 7-series fighter isn't due to make an appearance until 2015. For Honda' sake, let's hope they can expedite development to make it happen around the turn of the decade.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/17/honda-nsx-to-spearhead-rwd-model-lineup/

Honda's rear-wheel drive future

Honda’s new NSX is finished and will spearhead the European launch of the Acura brand when it goes into production in autumn 2010.

That’s the word from Autocar’s sources inside Honda Japan, who have confirmed that the front-engined V10 supercar will be unveiled at next year’s Tokyo show and will be followed by a new range of rear-wheel-drive Acura sports saloons.

We can also reveal that the controversial looks of the NSX concept model have been overhauled since its debut at the 2007 Detroit show. The long nose has been completely redesigned.

“It now has Chevrolet Corvette overtones,” said our source. But the new NSX will still be powered by a 4.5-litre V10 engine, delivering around 550bhp and offering racecar-like acoustics.

The NSX was meant to be unveiled at last year’s Tokyo motor show, but Honda bosses postponed its launch because they were unhappy with the car’s final design.

Honda has aspirations to compete with Lexus, Infiniti and BMW in Europe, and Acura is the obvious platform from which to launch that assault.

Insiders tell us that there will be a range of Acura models alongside the NSX. Honda will switch to rear-wheel drive for its large saloons and develop a range of more powerful engines.

The first new saloon will be a BMW 7-series rival, scheduled for launch in 2015.

Another new model could be an S2000-based Acura sports car, which would replace the ageing Honda two-seater, taking it more upmarket to rival the Mercedes SLK.

If Acura is to have an impact on the European market, it will require a huge investment from its parent company, but the brand needs sales here to succeed.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/232305/

I am thoroughly confused as to why Honda uses the name NSX for these efforts. What year did a BMW 7-Series ever resemble a platform similar to the NSX? I can somewhat understand the migration of the S2K to compete with the M-SLK but what is described as the next NSX appears to be nothing like a NSX.

BMW might as well say they are launching the new M1 (the old BMW version of a Pantera) to rival the latest 7-Series cars produced by Lexus, Mercedes, etc..

I hope Honda eventually drops the NSX name before this "sedan" hits the production floor.

I am thoroughly confused as to why Honda uses the name NSX for these efforts. What year did a BMW 7-Series ever resemble a platform similar to the NSX? I can somewhat understand the migration of the S2K to compete with the M-SLK but what is described as the next NSX appears to be nothing like a NSX.

BMW might as well say they are launching the new M1 (the old BMW version of a Pantera) to rival the latest 7-Series cars produced by Lexus, Mercedes, etc..

I hope Honda eventually drops the NSX name before this "sedan" hits the production floor.

Read it again. They are talking about two different cars.

Vegas taking odds on this? I vote "vaporware" on this and Honda is just blowing smoke. :rolleyes:

From what I have seen so far, and bear with me as this is my opinion based on my personal taste which can differ from others. But the Acura design team is so clueless as to how to design the look of a car. None of their current or near future lineup looks interesting. Yes they may have all the technical gee gaws, but the car has to look fun for me to even approach it, and so far, no dice. :mad:

What will probably happen is they will bring out a car, people will yawn, then Acura takes it back to the drawing board AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Apparently the Acura marketing folks are also smoking the same thing the Acura designers are because they keep refering to this as the "new" NSX which it clearly is not. If they do end up calling this FR design the new NSX, then they have clearly over dosed and need to be checked into rehab (or just whapped upside their heads). Why not just call it what it is, a new car! Leave the NSX name out of it. :mad:

Said it once, said it again, I love Honda and what they have done. But the Acura brand seems to have lost its way. :frown:

Again just my two cents.

Last edited:
You know after looking at those pictures of the ASCC concept car in the link that Acura made, I think the problem with the designs are not the designs themselves but the damn paint they use.... Seriously look at every concept car they have made that are suppose to be successors to the NSX. They are all these unappealing flat looking silver color. I bet these concepts wouldn't look so bad if they were painted with colors with some depth to it.

While I have almost given up on waiting for the next NSX, I am hoping that Honda does come out with something more aggressive than the ASCC. Everyone keeps wanting the mid-engine design (I too), but if the next super sports car from Honda is FR then I hope it looks closer to this photoshop picture of the ASCC - lower, wider, meaner. I remember the 1st press releases of Honda wanting to go after Aston Martin, I for one think the Aston Martin Vantage V8 is a beautiful car in the coupe form. I happen to work across the street from the local Aston Martin / Lotus Dealer and see them everyday. Even though I live and breath NSX, I would drive a Vantage V8.

Attachments

• attachment.php_1.jpg
    attachment.php_1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Aston_Martin-V8_Vantage_2007_800x600_wallpaper_0e.jpg
    Aston_Martin-V8_Vantage_2007_800x600_wallpaper_0e.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Well Honda I'm switching side, can you say AUDI R8. If you build that piece of crap you call a nsx, what happening to the HSC or least a mid engine design. Like I’ve said before, if I wanted a Corvette I would go purchase one. Someone needs to tell the designers to read these threads. To get a ideal of what the original owners wanted in the next generation car. Or does Honda just not care? It sure looks that way! :mad:

They said it twice: Chevy Corvette overtones.
Goody! Just what I always wanted!

LOL, not to mention that you'll be able to get a Chevy Corvette for less than half the price. AWESOME

"... the boy that cried wolf"

Honda is so far behind the curve...lost, really.

The R8 seems like a natural progression for many. It is NSX and then some more. More luxury, more performanc and more weight.

I like the NSX formula. It is a no non-sense sports car. Lightweight and no excessive luxury touches. For this, the only car that is a suitable replacement is the Porsche Cayman S. Just about as fast but will out-corner the NSX and NSX Type S.

To replace the NSX, the Cayman S is the only one in the market that interests me. Now Porsche just need to design something as gorgeous and reliable as the NSX.

Come On Honda, don't you hear us. Get back to mid-engine and lightweight. Stop the bean counters from making engineering decisions to a common FR platform.

I don't care how much Horsepower it will have and how fast you think it can lap Nuburgring. Both NSX and Honda street cars was never about ultimate speed or horsepower. I predict your Front engined sports car will never bring the glory in the manner the NSX did.

If Soichiro Honda is around, he would give a swift kick to Fukui's ass.

Last edited:
The R8 seems like a natural progression for many. It is NSX and then some more. More luxury, more performanc and more weight.

I like the NSX formula. It is a no non-sense sports car. Lightweight and no excessive luxury touches. For this, the only car that is a suitable replacement is the Porsche Cayman S. Just about as fast but will out-corner the NSX and NSX Type S.

To replace the NSX, the Cayman S is the only one in the market that interests me. Now Porsche just need to design something as gorgeous and reliable as the NSX.

Come On Honda, don't you hear us. Get back to mid-engine and lightweight. Stop the bean counters from making engineering decisions to a common FR platform.

I don't care how much Horsepower it will have and how fast you think it can lap Nuburgring. Both NSX and Honda street cars was never about ultimate speed or horsepower. I predict your Front engined sports car will never bring the glory in the manner the NSX did.

If Soichiro Honda is around, he would give a swift kick to Fukui's ass.

I was at the Porsche dealer one last time debating between the NSX and The Cayman S. The Cayman S is the second choice for me as well. I was just at Roebling road at a PCA event. The Caymans were quite popular and did very well. With equal hp, The cayman would be faster than its big brother. My NSX replacement would have to be mid engined. I do like the possibility that Acura will be coming out with rwd.

John

Judging by the new "look" of Acura based on the upcoming RL and TSX, I think it would be difficult to design a sports car around that hideous grill. Honda is slowly losing me as a fan.

Last edited:
Judging by the new "look" of Acura based on the upcoming RL and TSX, I think it would be difficult to design a sports car around that hideous grill. Honda is slowly losing me as a fan.

+1bagillion!!

I hate the new grill on the new 09 TSX!! so fugly! I have hate for it with a passion! It looks like an SUV front on a sedan! Urrghhh. It's so hard to stay a Honda fan when they have little kids mock up the design for the cars. Actually, Little kids would make better designs than the designs of the Acura Advanced team! The new RL looks like an Accord! And what's up with the new cheap fat looking rims on the new cars? Jeeze!!! Honda needs to redirect their views!.

Ok, enough with the rant. Honda was quoted stating they are shooting for a ring time of 7:30 with the new corvette looking "NSX" which is FR.

Last edited:
talk is great, but how about actually producing something?:redface:

Honda has already perfected throwing dates around. :biggrin:

Back