• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

just purchased my first NSX

purchased from Neil in LA, ca. Terrific guy, we talked forever. 2000 silvertone auto NSX with 88k miles, unreal how clean this car is, absolutely not a ding or scratch anywhere, a little curb burn on a wheel is it. Inside perfect as well. no tears or scratches. Clean, clean, clean engine bay and trunk. Only issue it has a Pioneer radio and I would like to go back to the original Bose. Unreal the amount of whistles and thumbs up the NSX gets driving around, now I want another one I can modify to really drive, this one is too clean to do much other than stare at it.

Attachments

• 20201011_112606.jpg
    20201011_112606.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 388
  • 20201011_112622.jpg
    20201011_112622.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 20201011_112642.jpg
    20201011_112642.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 377
Nice pick up! The silverstone has a nice metallic flake going on esp in the sun.

Congratulations ...yes agree, looks slick in silver.

What is wrong with the radio? Since it has already been upgraded (dash cut out, speakers etc), it might be easier to change the head unit? Just a thought.

radio

the dash has not been cut, it has this weird Pioneer that plays cds plus it pops out with a big screen for a back up camera and nav. If I can find a stock radio it should slip right in place.nsx interior.jpg

The stock radio/dash looks like this:

Acura%20NSX%20Stereo%20has%20Returned-thumb-717x482-125145.jpg

radio

Is that for a 2000? Wonder if the auto is different for some reason, I can't see someone filling in the open spot with a new dash piece but maybe they did

Is that for a 2000? Wonder if the auto is different for some reason, I can't see someone filling in the open spot with a new dash piece but maybe they did

All NSX center consoles are identical in shape 1991-2005. The only thing that changed over the production run was the finish color. Your 2000 is using the light silver finish, which IIRC was the final version for the U.S. cars. It looks like the installer modified the center console to fit the aftermarket radio and re-painted it. This is a fairly common modification for the singe or double DIN radios. Your best option is to just buy a new center console along with a OEM Bose. You may find there is some wiring work to clean up in order to get the OEM unit working again. Not a big deal and we can help you through that here on Prime.

Spectacular car and San Diego is definitely one of the great "NSX Cities"...year round summer driving conditions. I loved having mine there when I lived in Chula Vista from 2007-2009. What drew you to the NSX and how long did your "quest" to become and owner take?

Couple of tips I have learned after 20+ years of ownership. Take time to enjoy the car right now. Resist the urge to do any modifications right away. Drive for several months and several thousand miles (and no, one single week of cross-country driving isn't enough...) in various conditions should be done before you do any modifications. Find out what you really like about the car and what you want to improve upon. Then start doing modifications to accentuate what you like and improve upon what you don't. And when you do your modifications, don't worry about what anybody else thinks. It is YOUR car and it should bring YOU the enjoyment you want.

Okay, I'm now going to break my rule about waiting on modifications. Here is one that you should do right now. Get yourself a Davis Design Fab coil guard system. One weakness of the NSX design is the rear hatch vent/garnish. It allows water to run off the hatch and into the engine compartment. That water can then drip onto the rear cylinder bank valve cover. And if the gasket on the coil cover leaks, the water can collect in the spark plug wells causing misfires and corrosion on the coil packs. I know people that go as far as to put a towel over their engine when washing the car to prevent the water from getting onto the rear bank valve cover. And then they are super duper careful with the hose when spraying water on the car. Since I installed this kit from Mike Davis at Davis Design Fab, I have just hammered the rear hatch area with the hose when washing my NSX and the rear bank has remained bone dry. He offers two versions...they are functionally the same, but the more expensive version has a piece that is purely cosmetic but makes the kit's appearance much better in my opinion. The base version is $55+S/H...the "deluxe" version is $67+S/H. This goes on my "Mount Rushmore" of modifications/aftermarket parts for an NSX....

Here's a link to Davis Design Fab's coil guard kit: http://davisdesignfab.com/coil-guard/

If you have any questions about the NSX, I'm sure somebody in this forum can either directly answer or knows who to ask to get an answer, so don't hesitate to reach out!!!

Again, WELCOME!!!!

thanks for the tip, I didn't know about this rear hatch vent flaw. Good to know !

[MENTION=37357]tomatoto[/MENTION] - Here is a little "thought piece" i did to capture some of my thoughts over 20+ years of ownership. It has a set of links to various part suppliers and vendors that may be helpful when you go for the "stereo search"...unless you are really dedicated to getting back to 100% stock, you may find the OEM radio is very expensive and gives you very dated technology....AM/FM, cassette deck, and then you have to source the optional CD changer for the trunk. Now you can find various options for the GROM bluetooth/iPod interface to replace the CD changer and play through the CD source on the head unit.

https://gromaudio.com/store/usb_ada...droid-iphone-car-integration-adapter-kit.html

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

Back